The WnW Fokker D.VII Early has arrived (finally)

Duncan B

Following on from Admiral Puff's Camel thread (which I seem to have royally hi-jacked, sorry about that Admiral!) I thought I'd start a WnW Fokker D.VII Early thread. So here it is and over to you....

Duncan B

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/04/2017 at 6:29 PM, Beardie said:

Umm well yes well I'm definitely looking forward to that one although I am really lookiing forward to the arrival of the Etrich Taube.

I was initially very excited about the Taube but now I am not too sure.  I am concerned about the painting of the translucent wings. I will need to look into this.  

Andrew. 

Yes I agree about the Taube but I am a glass half full type and need something to worry about too. 

I am getting the Eindecker next month so I will have to sort that out with the same effect. 🙈

I remember seeing an FE2 (might have been on here?) that had a very effective rendition of the translucent effect viewed from underneath. Even the roundel on the top surface was faintly 'visible'. It is a painting technique I have often wondered about ever since I saw it.

Duncan B

I have seen that done myself. If I recall rightly you have to have another roundel which is placed in the same place on the underside of the wing and then painted over so that it still shows through slightly and also put in all the shadows for rib detail, spars etc. A lot of work to achieve a decent effect and it will always be just an impression. Too much work for me to be honest being a generally lazy sort.

Very tempted by this, but I've got 3 D.VII's built and 2 more in the stash still. Should I get another? or put it towards something else I haven't got. i'll have to mull that one over.

11 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I remember seeing an FE2 (might have been on here?) that had a very effective rendition of the translucent effect viewed from underneath. Even the roundel on the top surface was faintly 'visible'. It is a painting technique I have often wondered about ever since I saw it.

Duncan B

That rings a bell. Was it this one?

Cheers

John

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Viking said:

Very tempted by this, but I've got 3 D.VII's built and 2 more in the stash still. Should I get another? or put it towards something else I haven't got. i'll have to mull that one over.

That rings a bell. Was it this one?

Cheers

John

Yes that would be the one :)

Duncan B

• Like 1

Well I'm for two of the new D.VII's when they appear, already got three in the stash. Let's face it you can never have enough Wingnut Wings. Not only a pleasure to own while in their boxes but also a pleasure to build and an investment for the future (at least that's what I tell the missus). If Wingnuts keep to their promise and never re-issue sold out kits they will only increase in value. :D

That is a splendid FE2b John, it has got to be one of those 'did that thing really fly?' aircraft of WWI along with the other pushers.

On 02/04/2017 at 3:09 AM, Duncan B said:

Following on from Admiral Puff's Camel thread (which I seem to have royally hi-jacked, sorry about that Admiral!) I thought I'd start a WnW Fokker D.VII Early thread. So here it is and over to you....

Duncan B

No probs, mate! You're the one who's got them to sell! I'd be ordering from you as well, except that it seems a bit pointless for you to get them from Nuw Zulnd only to have to send them back to Australia ...

• Like 1

Speaking of the Fokker D.VII early what are the major differences between it and the 'later' kits?

I am afraid that, to my shame, I am not terribly familiar with the ins and outs of the D.VII as, strange as it may seem, it is not one of my favourite WWI German aircraft. I am more a fan of the Albatri and Pfalz's.

I havent thought about the CDL as yet. I am interested to see what they actually look like in the kit before taking any decisions. With the appearance of just how thin the wings are in the pictures it would be handy if it was actually molded in cdl coloured plastic so that you would just have to detail the ribs and the plastic would allow at least a degree of light through to simulate the linnen.

16 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Sorry guys, WNW isn't doing an Etrich Taube: it's a Jeannin Taube. I'm disappointed too.

This is great news. It opens up the area of pre war aircraft nicely. 

An update for everyone who has or is thinking about ordering the new Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII early kit. I am expecting to take delivery of my stock of the kits on or around the 25th May at which time the pre-ordered kits will be dispatched.

I have stopped taking pre-ordersat the moment but will open them up again once I know the kits have been dispatched by the Distributor.

Duncan B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:54 PM, Beardie said:

Speaking of the Fokker D.VII early what are the major differences between it and the 'later' kits?

I'd also be interested in finding out weather the sprues in this new early kit are the same as the original (FOK) release.

If the only difference in the boxings is the decals I can see myself buying two and looking for a decal sheet from the original black and yellow version. :devil:

Sorry for the delay in dispatching my D.VII's out to those kind folks that pre-ordered them from me. My Distributor has told me to expect them by the end of the month now, there is a reason for the delay but more of that once I get confirmation. (Albatros! Who mentioned Albatros?).

Duncan B