Italeri 1:32 F104G Starfighter Double Build

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Those really were the days to be around bases ;)

martin

Hello again,Martin - Thank you for the Starfighter clips.I went to Vision Express rather than Specsavers.They do two for the price of one.You can get two 'J-79's in one Phantom!😉👍

Seriously though,I totally agree with you about the halcyon days around airbases.RAF Leeming is my nearest 'front line' base.I loved seeing so many magnificent types - Yes indeed, Starfighters,F-111s,Drakens, along with RAF heavy metal, regularly visited or flew over.

We are so lucky to have seen them and have such great memories.One of the main appealing aspects of our wonderful hobby is that we are keeping the glamour of our favourites alive.To quote the Mary Hopkin song - " Those were the days, My Friend."

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

You put it so well, Paul. I've always been down south but frequented the East Anglian bases constantly. When I got working I got overseas to a number of spotter days at Volkel, for example. Great days and, as you say, through modelling you can keep those memories alive and more! 

All the best, Martin

PS, I reckon Vision Express are making you see double! Get that corrected and take in the full '104 effect! ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

You put it so well, Paul. I've always been down south but frequented the East Anglian bases constantly. When I got working I got overseas to a number of spotter days at Volkel, for example. Great days and, as you say, through modelling you can keep those memories alive and more! 

All the best, Martin

PS, I reckon Vision Express are making you see double! Get that corrected and take in the full '104 effect! ;)

"I'll see!!"🤓 Keep up the great work,Martin.I'm looking forward to your next masterpiece on RFI.:cheers:

On 01/04/2017 at 8:30 PM, gregair said:

Wow Skyhunter66....those are both stunning!!

I have a 1/48 Hasegawa kit in the wings, may I ask which Tamiya paints you used for the Italian scheme?

I'm building the Hasegawa currently - it's a great kit but watch out for the instrument panel - fit it before you join the fuselage halfs together as it doesn't just slot in later as shown on the instructions. I'm going to have to snip of the control column and throttle lever to get mine to fit - very annoying!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 8:30 PM, gregair said:

Wow Skyhunter66....those are both stunning!!

I have a 1/48 Hasegawa kit in the wings, may I ask which Tamiya paints you used for the Italian scheme?

Hi Ali - sorry for the delay - for the Italian scheme I used XF13 fir the green and XF82 for the grey - then lightened each with white to weather. The uderside is Alclad Dull Aluminium. Nose cone was Humbrol 147

cheers

chris 

16 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Skyhunter - My full compliments on that superb looking pair of 'Starfighters'.Alas,they are outshone - by those beautiful 'Phantoms'😍

Not that I'm biased,of course!?

Great modelling and a well organised cockpit too!

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

Yeah I'm a bit of a phantom nut! But also a Starfighter nut! First time I saw real Starfighters was when i was in the ATC and we went from South Wales to Mildenhall for the Airshow and it was sometime around 1982/83. The Italians sent about 6 for the show and I remember being disappointed as I wanted to see the German ones! 

2017-04-05%2012.00.52_zpsvxblyrk2.jpg

• Like 2

I love that top row of 'Tooms, Chris.

If you went to a show in 82/83 and there were Italians you were not at the Hall. In both 82 and 83 there were WGAF/WGN F-104Gs.  Do you mean Greenham? Even so, the Germans got everywhere!

Edited by RidgeRunner

and I should have said ..... why were you disappointed seeing the Italians? They were certainly rarer In the UK. The only "mass" group I recall at a show was at the Tiger Meet at Greenham in 1977. Even then there were many Germans (4 of the 22 in the show, plus some Italian TFs visited) :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
added

6 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I love that top row of 'Tooms, Chris.

If you went to a show in 82/83 and there were Italians you were not at the Hall. In both 82 and 83 there were WGAF/WGN F-104Gs.  Do you mean Greenham? Even so, the Germans got everywhere!

I'll have to have a look see if I can find some photos and remind myself! Its all a bit hazy! I'm sure it was Mildenhall though as it took us hours to get there. 

Meanwhile i got started on an ancient Hasegawa 1:32 STarfighter - couldn't resist it! I figure I might have to wait a few more months until Italeri release there 1:32 TF104 and I have lots of options left from the Italeri builds. Belgain one in camo is currently favourite option! 

• Like 1

That sounds a good move, Chris :). The TF from Italeri will be good (I hope). To me the TFs have far more character, but I love them all.... and they are almost all gone :(. If it were me I'd go for some more exotic!

24 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

That sounds a good move, Chris :). The TF from Italeri will be good (I hope). To me the TFs have far more character, but I love them all.... and they are almost all gone :(. If it were me I'd go for some more exotic!

haha yes - well I would prefer to do a JASDF version but the decals are rubbish and I can't find any AM for that. I think thought the new TF has a Japanese option so might have to wait for that!

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Q: which Starfighter operator - the only one - lost no aircraft in accidents?

The Irish Air Corps - they used them at sea.

Fantastic build, love the scheme, flawless finish. 

Oh my... really a great pair of "Spillone" (it could be "Big Pin" or "Hatpin"), the Italian nickname of Starfighter.

Great job, I like them very much.

:goodjob:

I really miss them from the skys over my home.

Thanks for sharing.

Ciao.

Davide

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Finchley Bantam said:

I'm building the Hasegawa currently - it's a great kit but watch out for the instrument panel - fit it before you join the fuselage halfs together as it doesn't just slot in later as shown on the instructions. I'm going to have to snip of the control column and throttle lever to get mine to fit - very annoying!

Thanks a lot for the heads up, I am looking forward to building it

Chris, I meant to say earlier that I love your models tanked up. They mean business that way. I do the same, but as appropriate. I don't add any weapons, though. It is the aircraft I'm interested in and nothing more.

Martin 

• Like 1