Revell Tornado Tigermeet

My second completed build, the Revell Tigermeet Tornado. The kit went together well, although I managed to loose one of the very small lights at the end of the wing when removing it from the sprue. The decals were hard work but eventually went on, fairly smoothly. My hard work was then scuppered slightly as I opted to varnish it using Humbrol clear, which gave the aircraft a cloudy finish. Thanks to some extensive research by my other half, a quick coat of Quick Shine, then a top coat using Windsor and Newton matt varnish gave it a nice smooth finish. Not bad for my second build really. 

DSC_1341

DSC_1336

DSC_1340DSC_1339

• Like 18

Nice completion. With every model you complete, you will learn many things early on that will make you fall in love with the hobby that many of us enjoy. Decal application is always tough with large areas such as that kit, but you worked it out quite well.

Well done.

• Like 4

Hi Shelliecool,

you are really tackling difficulty with all these decals! You are braver than I am.

Excellent Tornado at the end of the day! Well done.

Just a question, because I am definitely not a Tornado aficionado: are the underwing tanks supposed to be in that position? I thought they always remained parallel to the fuselage.

Great job!

JR

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Shelliecool,

you are really tackling difficulty with all these decals! You are braver than I am.

Just a question, because I am definitely not a Tornado aficionado: are the underwing tanks supposed to be in that position? I thought they always remained parallel to the fuselage.

Great job!

JR

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your comments, large decals are hard to apply aren't they, especially over some raised panel lines. In answer to your question the tanks are supposed to move so they are parallel what ever the position of the wing. I however was a little heavy handed, and snapped one off after the entire wing was together. Decided to make the best of a ham fisted job and secure the other one into position too. Lesson learnt. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Shelliecool,

Great job!

JR

My goodness yes..it looks beyond tricky. Good work

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

large decals are hard to apply aren't they, especially over some raised panel lines.

Many modellers use decal solvents to soften the decals to help them conform to all the nooks and panel lines. But it can also lead to tearing or splitting of the decal film. If I'm not mistaken most decal solvents are a combination of vinegar and water.