Home made decals - any tips?

JWM

Hi,

I've heard and seen that people do on computer their own decals. I tried but not sucessed as yet. I used Cannon ink jet printer and photo quality of print on Techmod clear decal - but the ink did not wet the surface and made small droplets on it. Whole image was destroyed by this. How to prepare the surface of blank decal or are there special blank decals? How about use of laser prnter? I am afraid, that high temperature use in this kind of printers will melt the surface of decal and destroy whole printer by glueing paper inside machine...Any suggestions?

Regards

J-W

Both Inkjet and Laser printers can produce decent decals with a little care and attention.  I would think that you have used a Laser decal sheet on you printer, hence the bubbling.  If you can get hold of a decal sheet for Inkjet and try again you should be successful.  The main thing is that the print on the decal sheet needs to be sealed after printing and before use.

Mike

Mike

• Like 1

As Mike says. 

Also consider the ink needs a good drying, and be careful the type of decal setting spray you coat the sheet with. If it goes on too wet it'll run the colors together. 

• Like 1

I've made a few home decals before, mainly for cars and found the laser printer works best. You need to use special decal paper for laser printers not just any regular decal paper. All the decals on the model below were done on a basic Canon colour laser printer. I used clear decal paper for everything from Crafty Computer Paper, link below.

www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk

Subaru066.jpg

• Like 1

Theank you Gents! I think the problem is that Techmod clear decal is just though to paint on it by free hand , not to use it with any printer. I have to look for more advanced clear decals sheets. Menwhile I painted with some grey colour (Humbrol enamel) and then sanded with paper 500. This made surface more accepting ink. Of course, as you said - I have to wait for drying and protect with transparent varnish not water soluble.

Cheers

J-W