Looking for recommendations

Hello all,

I'm  considering adding a few battleships to my aircraft and armour collection. Never built one before so i've no idea what to expect with them in terms of building, painting and so on! I'm considering the USS Missouri (1980s/90s), the Tirpitz, Yamamoto and a British design.

Firstly, what scale should I consider?

Secondly, who would be considered the prime manufacturer of ships?

Thirdly, how would one replicate the sea for a base?

Thanks in advance and apologies if the questions appear a tad daft!

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave, I find myself in the same position as yourself, my reason of thinking is pick up a cheap airfix kit on ebay buy some paint and crack on with it, that way you can learn from any mistakes you make, I'm starting a build soon of the airfix 1/400 HMS Hood that I picked up for under £20.00, I also have a Tamiya, Tirpitz and New Jersey 1/350 but these are more expensive and I need some practise first.

I'm trying enamel paints on my build.

Best makers I would hazard a guess and say Tamiya and Trumpeter.

Sorry can't answer your base question.

( 1) If its scale you want advice on - I would advise the bigger , the better , I also advise - don't touch 1/700 unless you have space problems - its too small to be worth it

go for either 1/350 ( The scale I would recommend ) or if you have eyesight problems ,the new scale of  1/200 - the choice is yours , of course -

but 1/350 scale has a wider amount of aftermarket items - if you wish to super detail

( 2 ) Kit Manufacturers , its either Dragon or Tamiya , for being the best , Trumpeter are pretty good

but look at Kit Reviews , its worth the extra effort

( 3 ) If you are determined on a sea base ( waterline ) ? , its more work , maybe try a full hull 1st ? with a nice stand

( 4 ) as regards the Yamato , I would recommend the Old Tool ' Tamiya Yamato , cheaper and apparently not a night mare to construct ( look at reviews , and decide )

( 5 ) British Subject , the Tamiya Tirpitz and HMS Prince of Wales are lovely kits , that have never aged - and if you bought aftermarket barrels and etch , would make a wonderful subject

- I still have the HMS PoW Model and it was a joy to make and very detailed

the other thing I recommend is getting a suitable aftermarket anchor chain ( not etch ) - and also think about buying a good Fabric Flag ( BECC ) to replace a decal

This is the result , when you throw effort into a 1/350 Scale ship , with Main Gun Brass Barrels , AA Brass Guns and extensive photo -etch ( from Infini ) and a BECC Flag

Yukikaze%201.350_zpsqro8ireg.jpg

https://www.carrierbuilders.net/articles/20050526_Realistic_Water/20050526_Realistic_Water.htm

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

of course - sorry !! - this is the link to BECC Accessories in the UK
http://www.becc.co.uk/index.html

This is the website , where you get the Flags information , and the list of stockists -

They are Fabric Flags - that are made of Cotton and printed on both sides

if its the Royal Navy and a destroyer in 1/350 scale , then its a AAA Type ( size 10mm Flag you need

( measure the kit Decal to check ) White Ensign is called GB02 - Modern White Ensign - 1864 - Present Day

if its a Battleship then its a Length 15mm Flag ( AA Type ) - obviously before you order measure the Kit Decal Flag supplied

but if you look at my Model ( due to arrive next week in the Post - made by Steve Bowe for me ) - the difference is staggering

and they are only £ 2 or so , so well worth the money

National, Historical, Company and Club flags all redrawn and printed in the finest detail and suitable for both working or static models.  Packs come with full instructions to finish the flag to suit your application

• Available in over 300 designs , Waterproof and fade resistant , Large range of standard sizes , Economical sets for special uses

17 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Many thanks! As for AM, where is the best place to get chains etc?

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/artwox?zenid=c05f099e57e07addd270a251cfa44c62

ArtWox do a generic 1/350 set that you can cut to your choice , that works out great value for money

again , the choice is yours but I feel etch chains look 2 dimensional - whereas a real chain is soo much better and more life-like ( and its metal )

I was thinking about the Yamato - and this is a good idea of the task involved in the New Tool Yamato

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=116710

Edited by 73north

Yes go for the Missouri -

be warned - see the debate on the New Tool Yamato

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/147927.aspx

" Be advised, before plunking down all that money, that the new tool Yamato still has numerous hard to fix inaccuracies (many inexcusable in my view),

this from a world authority on the subject whose help Tamiya turned down:

The issues around the stern are especially shocking, and more are pouring in such as the crude inaccurate prop shaft bases.

Tamiya's Mogami and I-400 have much better press, accuracy-wise.

Personally I found the multiple section assembly hull objectionable on principle, opposite to the minimal modeller effort expected, e

specially with all that plating detail... I found this much more objectionable than Hasegawa Nagato's bizarre hull plating, which can be toned down easily with primer...

Even so, Tamiya's Yamato is not a bad kit, just not by a long way up to its outrageous price... "

I gather the lower hull needs a few parts just to assemble it

https://www.amazon.com/Battleships-Yamato-Musashi-Anatomy-Ship/dp/1844863174

I recommend this author's book , I used to have it before downsizing

Edited by 73north

I would just like to add a few thoughts as an experienced (although a long way off the best) ship modeller. Don't knock 1/700 scale, the models are getting really good - especially those by the Chinese manufacturer Flyhawk. Flyhawk are a boon for WW2 Royal Navy fans - they so far have released HMS Hermes, HMS Aurora, HMS Naiad and HMS Campbeltown. They will also be releasing the following RN subjects over the next few years - Duke of York, Prince of Wales, Illustrious, Ajax, Achilles, Legion, Kelly for starters! Flyhawk knock the spots off all 1/700 plastic kit makers so far, even Tamiya!

Also note that 1/700 are far cheaper and the etch and other aftermarket is tons cheaper too. Another bonus is there is a bigger range of 1/700 models compared to 1/350 but 1/700 or 1/350 are the easiest scales to do as they are the most popular.

Next point - don't get a Yamamoto, he was an Admiral! If you want a Yamato (or Musashi) get the newer tool Tamiya ones or the recent Fujimi ones, both are decent kits.  The Revell and Dragon Tirpitz kits aren't bad and are the best ones to go for in 1/700. If you want a modern Missouri, then Trumpeter do that but if you want a WW2 Missouri, Tamiya is the way to go. If you want a really good British battleship in 1/700, wait a few months for the Flyhawk Duke of York or Prince of Wales.

Paints - use the type of paint you prefer and are used to. If you like enamels, go for Sovereign hobbies colourcoats, if you prefer acrylics use Lifecolor paints, they have the best Naval paint range for acrylics at the moment. Note IJN ships like Yamato are the easiest to paint as they were never painted in camouflage and the same Grey Paint covered the vertical surfaces as well as the metal decks. Also note, Yamato was one of the 3 ships in the IJN to use Hinoki Cypress deck planking, so the wood colour was slightly different, although in later battles, it's thought she had her wooden decks blackened.

Wooden decks - I 'm happy using them and not using them, as I don't find painting wooden decks difficult. On IJN ships they can be quite a bonus as you could spray the ship grey and then just stick the deck on and it's done! It's a bit more of a challenge when you have multi colour camouflage to do. Word of warning, USN ships in WW2 had all their decks painted Blue - do not get a normal wooden deck sticker for a WW2 USN ship, it's a waste of time as you'll have to paint that Blue, just like you would the plastic deck! In fact, I wouldn't bother with any wooden deck stickers for USN WW2 ships, as painting their decks is easier than normal wooden decks!

Can't help you with making sea bases but Starling Models have some kind of ready made sea bases but I haven't seen them in person yet.

Feel free to PM me about anything 1/700 related if you'd like to know more before you take the plunge.....

thanks

Mike 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the comments weren't knocking 1:700 for it's quality, as you are correct that the new kits and aftermarket sets are exceptionally well detailed and can produce great little models, and has a much better choice of subjects. However, in my (and others) opinion, the one big advantage of 1:350 over 1:700 is just the increased size and consequent visual impact for the viewer of the finished model - (1:200 takes this a stage further, but then space really would become an issue).