Post war Tempests

Scale Aircraft Monograph no.5 RAF Fighters 1945-1950 Overseas Based by Paul Lucas suggests 6 Squadron went straight from the Day Fighter Scheme to natural metal missing out the desert scheme although it stops short of making a definite statement, sticking to phrases like "it is thought".

• Like 1

Do you mean the dark earth/light slate grey camouflage with medium sea grey undersides, introduced in 1949 following the unfortunate clashes between the RAF and the Israelis? If so, the book quoted by rossm above states that No.6 Squadron's Tempests did receive the new scheme, as the unit's pilots were unimpressed with the new red spinner that was adopted by the whole Wing.

24 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

Do you mean the dark earth/light slate grey camouflage with medium sea grey undersides, introduced in 1949 following the unfortunate clashes between the RAF and the Israelis? If so, the book quoted by rossm above states that No.6 Squadron's Tempests did receive the new scheme, as the unit's pilots were unimpressed with the new red spinner that was adopted by the whole Wing.

On the page after the one I looked at where it states "During March 6 Sqdns ORB states the aircraft were being repainted. Despite the intention to apply a new camouflage scheme, it is thought that this repaint was carried out to standardise the silver scheme and do away with the Day Fighter Scheme as, by early July, some of the squadron's aircraft were having all their paint scraped off and were being flown in a natural metal finish."

Reading on it does say that there was further work carried out and 6 Squadron ORB mentioned a "new desert camouflage" on 27 September. So I should have looked further and not assumed that silver meant no more camouflage ever, although there is only that implication 6 Sqdn got the desert scheme and not a definite statement. Going back a page it does read as though the desert scheme was a replacement for both DFS and silver.

Sorry Lee, should have read the whole chapter :dunce:

• Like 1

No, it's fine either way.  I'm happy going with something with a bit of reality behind it - I've a whiffed 6 Sqn theme for some builds but want some real types to feature as "whiffs" within the planned article, if that makes any sense?  A negative reality inversion, if you will. Basically, a Tempest F2 as reality and the F6 as the whiff.  

Both - Matchbox - are at the primer stage and should get a coat of dark earth within the hour.

Yes, I've got a whiffed 6 sqn theme going.

I've got that decal sheet somewhere if and when I want to go back to doing real aircraft.

Sorry for the late arrival in this discussion.  The ME camouflage situation is complex and although the order of arrival was DFS, followed by 'silver' and then Desert colours neither of the latter schemes seems to have been applied universally of simultaneously.  This was because to repainting was done on an opportunity basis, at major servicing or repair; photos show a mix of schemes operating at the same time.

All the Deversoir Wing squadrons (6, 213 and 249) had some Tempests in the Desert scheme by the time the Tempests were withdrawn from service. I illustrated Crowley-Milling's 'X' with the 'gunner's stripe' on the fin leading edge, in the recent Osprey 'Tempest Squadrons', in the Desert scheme - which was based on a photo.  That aircraft, NX204, wore each of the schemes in succession.

Chris

• Like 1

On 05/04/2017 at 7:06 AM, The Wooksta! said:

Yes, I've got a whiffed 6 sqn theme going.

I've got that decal sheet somewhere if and when I want to go back to doing real aircraft.

In which case I think you'll find it quicker if you look for a Model Alliance Tempest sheet, least wise I've not seen a Rafdec one unless it's long OOP.

Steve.