Jabba

Thanks Bill. I still think that I have to elongate the slot a little, but I will do that a bit later. I now have the model ready for painting. I added the Navstar receiver to the nose in front of the cockpit. I was not sure about the size, but I found a set of decals for the EF-111 which had a picture of the front part of the aircraft with receiver fitted there that was very close in size to the plans that I had a quick measure of the receiver and cut it out of plasti card. It may not be quite correct but as I have said before close enough for government work. I have masked off the nose as from pictures that I have found it is of a slightly different colour. I also rescribed the slats, but I am not sure if that can be seen or will make that much difference.

IMG_0114_zpspikvzwrv.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely kit and nice build.

Hope your back feels better. I used a gentle form of yoga called soma yoga and it did the trick with a herniated back disc. 

The teacher told me it was partly developed by physiotherapists modifying some yoga postures.

I have now painted the grey on this model. The nose is painted a slightly different shade of grey as this is how it looks to me and SWMBO from the pictures that I have found. I still have the metal of the part between the engines to do, but hopefully that will be all and I can apply a coat or two of Klear before decaling. I am also about to start to build up the main and nose U/C so that the model can rest on this after applying the said Klear.

I also have a decision to make about what weapons to fit to this model. According to the instructions the actual aircraft only flew on one mission which was on the 25 Feb 1991, and on this it was fitted with 4 Mk 84 bombs. The thing is that I don't really fancy this after seeing some of the more attractive loads on the Afterburner decal sheet, Dstorm.eu and on the decal instructions. Some of these loads include the fitting of 6 Mk 82s on the BRU on the outer pylons with another mounted on the inner one, or 4 CBU-58s/Mk 20s mounted on the BRU in different positions yet again on the outer pylon with nothing on the inner one. So my dilemma is do I go with the actual load or one of the different set ups. I know people will say that it is my model and I can do what I like, but this model will eventually end up on display on the Gulf War S.I.G at some time, so should it reflect what it carried out during this time period. Thanks for any advice. 

IMG_0117_zpsg77iwdg1.jpg

IMG_0118_zps0bxnfbqw.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good jabba ,nice painting

Glynn, 

As for the load out if its going on display  and it isn't the right load expect to do some explaining:ner:,me personally I'd put bunker busters on if it pleased me, 

Edited by Hewy
Spelling

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking good jabba ,nice painting

Glynn, 

As for the load out if its going on display  and it isn't the right load expect to do some explaining:ner:,me personally I'd put bunker busters on if it pleased me, 

Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately The F-111Es never carried GBUs in the Gulf so that would be a complete lie. I think that I will be going with the actual load as I put a description of the model when on the display, and on this will be what the actual aircraft did in the war.

Thanks about the colour scheme. As this aircraft had been recently painted when it went to the gulf region I will be doing little in the way of weathering. I have been applying the Klear coats, and whilst this was drying I started to make up the weapon load. First up is the ALQ 131 Shallow ECM pod. Unfortunately Hasegawa only supply the Deep version of this pod as seen below.

IMG_0125_zpsp26dcchf.jpg

So the parts were cut off the sprue and the offending piece of the pod was removed. I will be keeping the small protrusion on this part to add later.

IMG_0126_zpsiyhlpat2.jpg

I glued the two parts together and added a piece of plasti card to cover the gap. I will be cutting this down to size soon.

IMG_0127_zpscpmdm1fy.jpg

I have also made up the Mk 84 bombs, which were yet again from a Hasegawa weapons set. I did look into getting an Eduard set until I found out that there are only two in the set and at £6ish a set I said no.

IMG_0129_zpsjdygjs7u.jpg

Hopefully I will start decaling tonight.

• Like 1

All decals are now on, although I don't think that you can see some of the smaller ones as they seem to blend in with the colour scheme. Surprisingly there are only a few stencils to apply which I find strange for such a large aircraft. Varnish to be applied soon.

IMG_0130_zpsb7qnb9lt.jpg

IMG_0131_zpsr7zpmwqx.jpg

IMG_0132_zpskiib6wxv.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice progress Jabba, I do like the quick bit of mod work with the ECMs.

Thank you kindly. I have now added a few more parts including engines and wheels. I did start to ad the nose U/C doors until I remembered that I had not fitted the landing lights as I had not painted them white at their rears. So I have now done this and they will be added shortly. I have also painted the bombs green and will do the details in a while. Although it may not show in the photos I have opened up slightly the g and slot for the wings being folded, now fitting and looking  better when the tailplanes are fitted. I also still have to paint the formation lights red and green.

IMG_0133_zps3sagquez.jpg

IMG_0134_zps3ozw8ggl.jpg

• Like 3

Almost there now. I have painted the black pats just behind the cockpit area. These were not on the paint instructions, but could faintly make them out on a few pictures that I have of the actual aircraft. Wing pylons added and the bombs that will be fitted have been painted awaiting fitment. I have fitted the ECM pod which I painted green rather than matching the camo colour of grey. I am not sure if this is correct, but my thinking was that I don't think that the USAF would have painted up 1 pod just to match the camo scheme of this aircraft at the time. Maybe a few years later when more F-111s were in this scheme they may have done. A few more parts to add before it is truly finished.

IMG_0137_zpsr9my0cyu.jpg

IMG_0138_zpsdof3jcqb.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you or your kind comments. Well it is all finished now and here are some pictures below. I am really surprised at how close the inner wing pylon gets to the fuselage when the wings are folded and weapons are fitted. The last photo shows it with the other F-111s that I have built that are displayed on the Gulf War S.I.G.

IMG_0139_zpsjmbzllrm.jpg

IMG_0140_zpszqhal5qb.jpg

IMG_0141_zpsmp8kbd23.jpg

IMG_0142_zpswbdzrt7o.jpg

IMG_0143_zpsmhbwo8gr.jpg

IMG_0144_zpsbvwrhkax.jpg

IMG_0145_zpsgo0r2v9c.jpg

• Like 1

Well done Jabba she looks great fully loaded!! :thumbsup: Plus a great addition to your collection.

Thanks for joining us, hope you enjoyed the build, was great to have you along.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...