1/48 - Sikorsky R-5/H-5 (S-48), S-51/WS-51 by AMP - released - new RAAF boxing by Red Roo Kits - new WS-51 variant

Homebee

18 hours ago, SleeperService said:

They really are quite satisfying kits. Not too tricky to build and very off-beat subjects. This would be about the size of a 1/72 fighter so if you like the subject go for it. That's how I got into 350th submarines...

I've no connection other than being a very happy customer.

Thank you for the recommendation I will buy this one when it is released  and off-beat subjects too, that's why this one interests me.

Yes, I am tempted buy their submarines and to buy a FLY Models Zeppelin airships too.

Enjoy the hobby !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2017 at 09:58, praded-dembelya said:

Is there a connoisseur of dragonfly? I need clear differences from Sikorsky. So that we do not miss anything in the model.

No connoisseur or expert, but here are where the significant differences are:

-  The rear fuselage was adapted to incorporate additional storage with a rear access door, which gives a larger "squared off" appearance in profile as opposed to the  aerodynamic sweep up to the boom of the S-51.

-  A more powerful  Alvis Leonide engine was fitted, which resulted in different grillage and exhaust arrangments.

- There were copious variations in the glazing arrangements, which is a case of check your references for the machine you are modelling.

The BEA Dragonflies are closer to the S-51 than the military Dragonflies. Essentially having the same airframe as the S-51 and therefore can be modellled from the S-51, which the 'service' Dragonflies can't without significant work.

I hope that helps.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
Typo, what else!
  • Like 1

On 09/07/2017 at 10:40 AM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The BEA Dragonflies are closer to the S-51 than the military Dragonflies. Essentially having the same airframe as the S-51 and therefore can be modellled from the S-51, which the 'service' Dragonflies can't without significant work.

British European Airways machines were Sikorsky S-51s, most British service machines were Westland Dragonflies.

There was a minor variance in the cabin glazing on the BEA S-51s, which could be found on the entire S-51 range, and was to do with glazing strengthening.

Military Westland Dragonflies had that box shape to the rear fuselage, I haven't seen the same feature on a civil Dragonfly Mk1a or b, I must admit I thought it was battery or equipment related rather than stowage.

The whole S51 / Dragonfly series had a myriad of minor differences, I'm just glad that this kit is released, and that we can at least scratch the minor details or differences if needed.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 71chally said:

British European Airways machines were Sikorsky S-51s, most British service machines were Westland Dragonflies.

Nearly, however, the seven S-51's sent to Westland by Sikorski ahead of the license agreement were re-engined with the Alvis Leonides radial motor.

There was a minor variance in the cabin glazing on the BEA S-51s, which could be found on the entire S-51 range, and was to do with glazing strengthening.

The glazing diferences on the 'Dragonfly' were a purchase option depending on the machines duties as dictated  by the client.

Military Westland Dragonflies had that box shape to the rear fuselage, I haven't seen the same feature on a civil Dragonfly Mk1a or b, I must admit I thought it was battery or equipment related rather than stowage.

The rear fuselage mod and profile differences of the Westland Dragonfly over that of the S-51 designation was originally concieved  by Westland  from a MoD directive and used as stretcher and meds stowage, but used for a whole host reasons over the Dragonfly's service life.

The whole S51 / Dragonfly series had a myriad of minor differences, I'm just glad that this kit is released, and that we can at least scratch the minor details or differences if needed.

Agreed.

Thomo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...