USAF/USN 'Teen series'

Smudgeboy

As noted elsewhere, a recent returnee to modelling - had some fun doing pretty average (OK, poor) builds of the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire and the Tamiya 1/72 F-4II Phantom, the latter of which supplied endless hours of "fun" with the instructions being only in Japanese!

I'm now tooling up (brushes -> airbrush, watching loads of videos on techniques etc) and fancy having a go at putting together a collection of the US 'teen series' planes (F-14, 15, 16, 18). I grew up with Top Gun (I know!) and annual visits to Mildenhall Airshow in the 80s, so these are the big fast jets that used to light my fire.

My question is, is there one particular manufacturer who does a really good range of these beasts in 1/72, or does it vary from plane to plane?

To be clear, with a respectful nod to those on here who value spot-on historical and dimensional accuracy, that's not really my big worry. I'm more interested in getting kits that fit well and have good decals etc.

Cheers amigos!

Hasegawa has good kits of all those aircrafts. Their F-14 and F-15 are IMHO the best around in this scale. Their F-16 and F-18 are sure decent but there are better kits for these two types.

The F-14 has been discussed recently, I'd suggest to look for that thread and you'll find plenty of comments on the various kits available. IMHO no Tomcat kit is easy to build, the Hasegawa one in particular can be very tricky. If you want a simpler build, then Hobbyboss and Revell may suit your taste better (and cost a lot less)

For the Eagle, the Hasegawa is very good but it may be that the recent Platz kit is even better, I have yet to see it. In any case it's not easily available unless bought directly from Japan and IIRC only offers details and decals for the Japanese aircrafts. The Academy kit is not bad and is generally available at a good price.

The best F-16 is the Tamiya one from every point of view, no contest here. Revell is second best and is easily available at a good price. The Academy kit is well detailed but is not too accurate. The Hasegawa one is quite good but not very well detailed (though it's an easy build)

The best first generation F-18 is Academy's, with a very good kit. Hasegawa's is simpler but is IMHO still a good kit.

• Like 2

Watch out,  IIRC Academy had an older tool F-18 that apparently is (based on) a fairly ancient mould by Sunny,  also sold as Entex, Minicraft and Revell. One to avoid. 

I always liked the Esci Eagle in the box, though never built one so can't comment on fit. Academy probably is easier to obtain if you're looking for a mid market kit. 

You can't go wrong with Hasegawa. Some of their kits are a bit fiddly but with care make up into beautiful models. The only exception would be Tamiya's F-16, which is head and shoulders above Hasegawa's in terms of detail.

Depends which versions you want to build! The Tamiya F-16 is best for the CJ version, but as yet there are no earlier models out. Revell is best for -A, -B (if you can find them) and early -C's, though you may need the bulged doors from the AM world. That said, I think someone on here was looking at backdating the Tamiya CJ.

I'm yet to find an F-15A or B, up to "modern" standard, but unsure how different they are externally. Others may have a better idea. Be careful which F-15E you go for from Hasegawa too, there's a new one out, as reviewed on this very site, which is much better in shape and panel lines.

Beware of the decals in old Hasegawa kits. I find that they can be most reluctant to separate from the backing sheet. I am referring to aged decals in secondhand kits - not those in older re-issued kits.

A few years ago I built a Hasegawa F-18A, circa 1973, and it went together beautifully but the gold and blue decals were rubbish. I have also built a Hasegawa F-15A and a Revell YF-16 and both went together nicely.

The Esci F-15 and F-16 were indeed nice kits that still hold their own today. Both would benefit from some cockpit detailing but nothing that an Eduard zoom set and a cheap Pavla resin seat can't supply. At the same time such a move would only make sense if the kits are found for cheap, paying collector money for these is not worth as there are better alternatives that are very reasonably priced.

Speaking of Eagles, the Academy may not be perfect but is not a bad kit and can be found quite cheap. And to be honest is very, very similar to the Esci kit... too similar IMHO not to think that both may have come from the same tooling shop

Many thanks all for the valuable information.

Rather daunting to see the level of expertise on this place, not only on the models available, but also on the aircraft themselves. I have LOTS to learn!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the only pic I have of my Entex F-18. This was built sometime back in the late-70s, back when Light Gull Gray and White were the predominant USN & USMC colors.

EntexF18.jpg