Matchbox Victor K2 intakes - question

Supertom

So while I wait for my local shop to carry the new Airfix Victor, I'm going to start on the Matchbox K.2. I built this kit, years ago, when I didn't know any better and now that I'm much more experienced and patient, I'd like to have a proper go at the venerable kit. I'm terrible with using aftermarket, and the Flightpath set is about the cost of a new Airfix Victor (therefore negating money I need to purchase said Airfix kit), so I'm going out of the box, with as many corrections as possible. I'll rescribe and shorten the stabilizers 3mm, maybe even add a little scratchbuilt detail, but what about the intakes? I've seen descriptions of people making their own corrections, but I can't visualize what was done. Would someone provide me with a little guidance on how to do this? Thanks!

19 hours ago, Supertom said:

the Flightpath set is about the cost of a new Airfix Victor (therefore negating money I need to purchase said Airfix kit),

Hello Supertom

I was never an outright genius at maths, but I don't see how £27.00 [at present] is about the cost of something that is priced at £59.99.

David Parkins

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

• Like 2

Tom, the big problem with the Matchbox intakes is that they lack anything inside the wing skin apart from the centre wall and the guide vanes.  Even if you follow Hook's suggestion you're still going to need to build up the intake lips inside the wing back as far as the line of the FOD covers.  Before Flightpath came along I filled the entire intake area up to the engine faces moulded on the bulkhead part with Milliput to form new intake tunnels.  To do this I removed the moulded-in guide vanes with little thought as to how I'd reinstate them.  Nowadays I'd take a rubbing of the halves to establish their location relative to the centre wall so that they can be reinstated relatively easily either before or after assembling the wing halves.  It was messy and time consuming but I didn't need quite so much ballast in the nose.

19 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Tom lives in the US.  Factor in the postage and it does nearly equate to a new kit.

But then he'd get the VAT deducted, knocking the set back to £22.50 - and so shipping would only add around £3-4 to the figure I  quoted from our website. Anyway regardless of shipping it was whether £27 [£22.50 Net] for our set was the same as £59.99 [£49.92 net] for the kit.

Hey Supertom - take a look at this thread. About halfway down I posted some pics of how I have repeatedly addressed the intakes on the M'box kit.

Hope this helps.

Oh and I have used the resin intakes that DJP do (mine were the original DB parts actually!) and they are very good! Planning to use the Mk.1 conversion at some point soon.

ATB
Rick

Ah, thanks Rick. On the pic where you had already filled the intake floor, did you cut away the top intake guide vane? It certainly looked like it.

9 hours ago, Supertom said:

Ah, thanks Rick. On the pic where you had already filled the intake floor, did you cut away the top intake guide vane? It certainly looked like it.

No, if you look closely you can see that the original green top half is still in there. I had removed the white lower half and created a new lower half in plasticard, considerably further forward than as moulded as the moulded position is way too far back.