Esci/Trumpeter F-100C Super Sabre 1/72

10 hours ago, Darren Rhodes said:

Great build and painting. Excellent work from the old ESCI kit, hadn't realised until I read further you had cross-kitted with the Trumpeter kit. I did not know of the shape problems with the Trumpeter kits, not unexpected to hear, but annoying as I have the C, D and F Trumpy kits in my stash and was about tho through the ESCI F away! 

Thanks Darren. See also TheRealMrEd's thread on this too, currently in WIP.

martin

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:18 AM, Darren Rhodes said:

I have the C, D and F Trumpy kits in my stash and was about tho through the ESCI F away! 

Don't do that, mate! The Esci/Italeri is a great base. The F particularly should be done with the Italeri kit. You can then replace the wings but use the great detail stuff of the Trumper  - u/c, flaps, pylons, etc. Definitely don't use the wheels!  You might be able to salvage something from the Trumper cockpit to make a more detailed one as there is no resin F set on the market. The D would be a no-brainer! The ultimate message - whatever you do don't use the Trumper fuselages.

Good luck!

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I realise the Aires nozzle isn't 100% accurate as it is set in an open position, here is a view from the rear end. I'm pleased with the combination of Humbrol 191 (for stainless steel), Humbrol steel metal cote for the nozzle (with dry brushing) and then masked swipes of the Tamiya Weathering Set D (half masked and then masks removed for final swipes).

You can also see how the rear end needs filing out to the rim so that it represents a more realistic look, rather than the flat plate on the original.

Martin

tail%20crop_zpskhmqy732.jpg

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Hello,Martin - My full compliments to you on this superb looking 'F-100'. I also advocate the use of Tamiya Weathering Pastels for NMF areas as you have so effectively shown.Great work in every respect.

Hoping you safely received my last Email.

😉👍All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. Not only the completed model but the subject as well. As others say, the finish looks really nicely done. I had no idea Trumpy's wings would fit on Esci's fuselage. Any problems there, or was the fit good?

Jay

Hi Jay,

The fit was perfect. Of course the Trumps come as separate items with locating tabs so you need to cut off the Esci's from the centre section, fit that to the fuselage and then fit the new wings in the traditional way.

IMG_2463_zps0ltsgfb0.jpg

IMG_2464_zps9ayw8iuo.jpg

M

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Beautiful Hun! So the way to go is to combine the ESCI (Italeri?) fuselage with the Trumpeter fuselage and bits and bobs (but not the wheels)? I've recently had a hankering for a single-seater F-100, but I would like an accurate one.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional information added.

Hi Jason,

Correct. However, there is probably not a 100% accurate F-100 out there, certainly not in 1/72. Do at least the following and she'll be good:

1. use an Aires cockpit set (be sure it is for an Esci and not the Trumper)

2. use an Aires jet nozzle set

3. set the elevator/elevon on a pivot so that they can be set as they natural fell when the hydraulics went off

4. swap the Trumper and Esci wings/pylons

5. drill out and sand back the rear end so that the afterburner can sits realistically

6. drill out the front end to make a deeper intake. If you are creative make a duct (I didn't). You could use an F-16 intake?

7. If its a C-model then use the Trumper fin and rudder. An alternative is to use he Obscureco set for wings and fin.

8. Use Trumper main gear legs but Esci wheels (or buy resin)

9. Use the Esci NW strut and wheels

Good luck!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

swap the Trumper and Esci wings/pylons

I forgot to say that this will give you the drooped slats which all Super Sabres had when the hydraulics were off. The Obscureco set will give you the same thing, albeit in resin.

Martin 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all the information, Martin! A bit of work to be done, but as a builder of many a limited-run kit, I'm not afraid of a little work. It doesn't sound like anything there I can't handle, in my own clumsy, ham-handed way.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

One other point, and an important one, is that the Italeri and the Trumper both only have the smaller wing tanks. The Esci has the large tanks so you can build a real "Sled".

Martin

On 27/04/2017 at 5:33 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Jay,

The fit was perfect. Of course the Trumps come as separate items with locating tabs so you need to cut off the Esci's from the centre section, fit that to the fuselage and then fit the new wings in the traditional way.

Thanks for the info Martin!

• Like 1