No wings - just the seat

My first WIP post here as I usually frequent another forum but have decided to diversify; this might amuse some of you on here.  A couple of years ago I set about making a 1/1 scale ejection seat to use in my modelling room - not to eject through through the roof mind but as a chair to sit on and use.  I started off with the base of my old office chair which has a height adjuster built in, so like a demented squirrel in later Summer I started scavenging around for household items which might be of use.  I also went to the local Homebase and bought some MDF sheet.  I'm no engineer so the whole project was to be measured by eye and guesswork, here's how it progressed:  

DSCF1142_zpspl4pwamf.jpg

The office chair base provided a deal of structural strength for the build and allowed for the ejector seat to literally be built from the bottom up.

DSCF1140_zpscti3e30r.jpg

You can see the black lever to raise or lower seat.  Most of the carcass was MDF or stripwood but my workroom was filling up fast all sorts of really useful - crap:

nuts_zpsz2qojzoj.jpgbik_asst12_zpsresyalk8.jpgblack-plastic-clip-clothes-hanger-box-of3122dat_zpsyukpjdns.jpg026601_zpsgmwfhwtb.jpg51yYf-PwcuL._SX300__zpsro6zu5xk.jpg8c1ea3be608edbcd0fe77013ca44_zpsmpvnijhgKGrHqNHJ8EPM0l7gMBQBrry7rHw60_57_zps89hh

You get the idea.

DSCF1145_zpstazdmlzl.jpg

The seat I was trying to copy was the Martin Baker GRU-7A as found in the Grumman F-14A Tomcat.  Above is the mdf marking out for the top of the seat parts and this is it cut out:

DSCF1146_zpsdd23g404.jpg

I also bought shares in Evergreen plastic or at least it seemed like it.

DSCF1137_zps1ce204dm.jpg

A pair of combats cut and sewed to mimic the drogue chute as seen from above the headrest.  The actual build was enjoyable what wasn't fun was the traipsing around a local car boot sale and buying rather dubious and suspect clothing items which could be used.  

DSCF1141_zpsmpjvwuci.jpgDSCF1136_zpsbhegdast.jpgDSCF1147_zps3vey0lgb.jpg

The foam was bought from good old fleabay.

• Like 7

Capital idea Ludicrus (or should that be 'Ludicrus idea Capital'). Is the next step to turn the room into a Tomcat cockpit? If the project goes any further, you may need to move it into the garden.

Not as silly as it sounds, this is a link to my mates, brothers project:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/boeing-747-simulator-coventry-spare-7020750

Well this seems like a fun project.

I have to say the ejector seats I've sat in at museums weren't particularly comfortable.  Maybe this was so the occupants didn't nod off?  And in the case of the Lightning I would have liked to be able to see where I was going at M2 - not much view in front past the gun sight and radar scope!

Cheers 

Will

Thanks for the comments and no, the mange tout and corn were not used but the packaging was.  Although the carcass of the seat was MDF lots of plastic details were added on top:

A4_zpsresvktev.jpg

DSCF1150_zpsfjkadlwo.jpg

The time consuming part was all the sewing by hand, I never knew what a lifesaver a thimble was until now, here is my rough plan for the cushions:

Pads1_zpstxosevgg.jpg

All the labelling was created on the computer and printed on to adhesive backed photo paper.LABEL4_zpsa3ucqwu6.jpg

LABEL3_zpsnkt2fyq2.jpg

The only trouble with the project was returning back to the world of 1/32 scale.

DSCF1212_zpsnnhrtxck.jpg

DSCF1060_zpsipr6tcjc.jpg 

It is however a great way to discover details which can be added to model GRU-7A seats.

DSCF1062_zpsdntgmnoe.jpgDSCF1057_zpsxpgijkml.jpg

• Like 17

42 minutes ago, Jaffajake said:

Are your modelling sessions so intense you feel the need to strap yourself in? 

No, but it comes in handy when the mother-in-law does the cooking.  In hindsight I should have built it as part commode.

• Like 1

I've spent all day today making two of these in 1:48. Seeing the same things life sized is just weird!

I think you are the kind of creative nutcase that makes the world go round. Keep it up!

(I wonder what you do for a living...)