1/72 Matchbox DH/HS 125 - # FINISHED #

nimrod54

With my 1/144 Rapide build nearing completion and there being some time to the end of this GB, I decided to make a start on a third build. I thought that it would be good to try and add another aircraft type and so I have selected this Matchbox HS125, which I will probably finish in RAF colours.

Fellow Britmodeller @jean will be glad that I have gone for a subject in a larger scale and I hope that this will allay any concerns he may have about my sanity. :winkgrin:

DSC01833_zpsrpleu1ou.jpg

DSC01835_zpshqcii7qd.jpg

DSC01836_zpskszo8uie.jpg

Finally, if it is looking like there is still time, I may revert back to type and build this 1/144 Heron 1 from Welsh Models.

DSC01834_zps2licvaje.jpg

• Like 4

A nice with the 125, John.  I was thinking of building one too (albeit in 1/200), but I think I will save it now for next year's Hawker GB :winkgrin:

Cliff

• Like 2

On 3/30/2017 at 2:34 PM, nimrod54 said:

With my 1/144 Rapide build nearing completion and there being some time to the end of this GB, I decided to make a start on a third build. I thought that it would be good to try and add another aircraft type and so I have selected this Matchbox HS125, which I will probably finish in RAF colours.

Fellow Britmodeller @jean will be glad that I have gone for a subject in a larger scale and I hope that this will allay any concerns he may have about my sanity. :winkgrin:

Hi John,

You just don't know how relieved I feel to see that rigging a 1/144 biplane was only a temporary lapse of reason.... It happens to the best of us, I was told. But be careful because you have been known to have a history of (very) small scale OCD symptoms...

As far as the present build is concerned, I wholeheartedly approve, but trust Matchbox to chose the right colors for a white plane... Buy a gallon of white paint!

I will be following this build! And don't forget to detail the galley stove and the silver cutlery.

Have fun

JR

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jean said:

As far as the present build is concerned, I wholeheartedly approve, but trust Matchbox to chose the right colors for a white plane... Buy a gallon of white paint!

I will be following this build! And don't forget to detail the galley stove and the silver cutlery.

Hi Jean,

I have just placed my order for 25L of Gloss Appliance White, I am hoping that this will be sufficient to fill the trench-like panel lines and cover the multi-coloured parts at the same time. 

Funny that you should mention the galley stove, I had considered leaving the door open which would mean adding some detail in that area, not sure if my scratch building skills would be up to it though.

If I wasn't building it, this one could be worth following. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I made a start on cleaning up some of the main parts and also did a little bit of assembly and then had a trial fit of parts. The clean up didn't take long, just some bits of flash from a few windows and another couple of apertures in the fuselage. The initial fit was very good and I don't expect too many dramas when I come to glue things together permanently, I think my main problem will be dealing with the 'San Andreas Fault' panel lines.

DSC01874_zpsduwcdyje.jpg

DSC01875_zps54txthdr.jpg

• Like 5

Lovely choice of subject John. As for the wild plastic colours, best way I found was to undercoat with a medium then light grey before going to white top coat. A bit of extra work but less so than trying to get a solid white from multiple coats.

• Like 1

I have spent the past day or so working on the crew figures that are included in this kit. It's not something that I normally include on my builds, but I thought that this could be the type of simple task which may give my modelling the kick-start that I seem to be looking for at the moment. This afternoon I glued the cockpit and crew assembly into one half of the fuselage, added some weight in the gaps around this, and then closed up the fuselage.

DSC01878_zpsautrmhrs.jpg 

DSC01879_zpsnqb0qqib.jpg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Those figures look fantastic Nimrod, :goodjob:

Cheers Ozzy. Like I said, it's not something that I normally do but I am quite pleased with the result this time around.

I checked over the fuselage and I had to fill in a few sink marks on the top surface of the fuse, two around the spine, two just behind the cockpit and two more on the nose. The filler was also out to blend in the nose cone. I added some thin plastic to the nose wheel bay to avoid a difficult clean up job and the only other work required was a sand along the join. I will recheck all of these areas once I get some primer on,

Following this it was time to 'locate and cement' the wings and tailplane in position, the fit isn't too bad with just a small amount of filler and a light sand needed to complete these. 

Two of the sink marks that required filling.

DSC01885_zpsefqsxxzw.jpg

Nose cone filled and blended.

DSC01886_zpsmhzwoatu.jpg

Thin plastic card added to the nose wheel bay

DSC01887_zpstbfkwirk.jpg

Wings and tail assembly completed.

DSC01884_zps0e6dqhri.jpg

Maybe just a small amount of filler and a sand required to tidy things up.

DSC01888_zpscyex6zdb.jpg

Looks as though I may have some work to do when I add the cockpit glazing though, as there is a gap that will have to be filled. My initial thoughts are to fix this at the lower edge first, then fill the gap with some plastic strip and fair everything in. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Scrubs up well.

I wonder why Revell never reissued it?

Trevor

It goes together really well Trevor. Sanding the top surfaces of the wing to thin the trailing edges has reduced the depth of those panel lines, and I am hoping that some white primer and a top coat will help with those on the fuselage.

Like you I am left wondering why this hasn't been reissued.

There should be a law about selling kits sporting colored plastic fit to give nightmares to the least strong among us!

But the elegance of the plane comes out with a simple coat of primer. That's going to be real nice. So what are you going to do with all the gloss white appliance paint that will be left over?

Great show John.

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

That's going to be real nice. So what are you going to do with all the gloss white appliance paint that will be left over?

Not sure Jean, I could always re-spray the kitchen appliances. I don't think that Caron would be too happy though, she has got use to the stainless look :)

OK chaps, I have hit a bit of a snag with this one, and I am hoping that someone may have an easy fix to the problem.

The plan was to finish this as per the box version in white using Halfords GAW as the topcoat. Taking on board the sound advice from @Col. about painting multi-colour kits I applied some Halfords grey plastic primer to the kit. Several filling and sanding sessions have taken place since then with a light primer coat reapplied to these areas after each session.

In preparation for a final check of the joins before starting to apply the topcoats, I decided that I should go over the grey with some white primer and this is the result.

DSC01947_zps6m5kn5mx.jpg

DSC01946_zps2hci6fps.jpg

As you can see the red colour of the wing has come through the primer giving it a pink cast, it is particularly bad on the underside where a recent sanding session has taken place, but the doors had no sanding on this occasion and look almost as bad.

My initial thought was that this was due to me using ordinary white primer and that the solvent from this had permeated the grey, reacting with the plastic, so I re-primed these areas with a coat of white plastic primer to see if it would seal this, but it is still pulling the red colour through.

Looking back at the photos of the model in grey primer I think that there is a slight pink tinge to that colour too, making me more convinced that it is a paint solvent v plastic problem, but that could be me looking for something that isn't there. I was wondering if a light sanding to smooth the surface off, then sealing over this with Klear would help to resolve the issue. I could then go over that with some acrylic gloss.

DSC01894_zpsqls6tbxd.jpg

Any advice would be most welcome

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dude_gan_ainm said:

Try black primer.The red plastic would seep through the lighter paints over time.

Jimbob..

Thanks Jimbob, the black primer sounds like a good plan to me.

Jimbob's black primer tip worked a treat, my choice for this was Humbrol Acrylic Matt Black. This was then covered with a couple of coats of Halfords White Plastic Primer and then some Gloss Appliance White. I will now leave that a few days to harden up.

DSC01956_zpsjmfn7emb.jpg

DSC01955_zps9q9xpw8c.jpg

DSC01957_zpsdo76viso.jpg

Cheers @dude_gan_ainm, that has been filed away for future use.

• Like 8

No problem Nimrod.I've got a Matchbox 125 in the stash & that was my plan after getting the tip from a more experienced modeller than myself who no doubt experienced the bright plastic colour seeping through the paint through the years.Looking good now your back on track.

Jimbob. .. 

Hi John,

Your model definitely looks sleek and virginal, a rather rare state nowadays.

So the final product can only be special.

Well done!

JR

• Like 1