Hellcat question.

stevej60

Hi folk's I'm hitting a brick wall with my larger scale aircraft build's right now so wanting to get back into some 1/72 easy builds I have 3 Hobbyboss

Easy kits coming,one F6F-3 which has an Atlantic scheme which I want to build and 2 F6F-5's,what was the difference between the two? I have a

pair of decal sheets that include French navy and FAA scheme from Italeri's kit which state both marks on the original box.

Inter alia, the 3 had a somewhat different exhaust System with two fairings at the back of the cowling in 3 and 9 o'clock positions (IIRC most 3s but not all), rearview Windows behind the Cockpit (early -3s, from Memory ca. the first half of the -3 run), and I think different windshield and/or canopy.

• Like 2

Yes, the cowling changes a bit between them, and the little window behind the canopy disappears with the -5 (although early ones still had it). The Squadron/Signal Hellcat book states the most sure fire way to tell the two variants apart is the paint job: three (four) tone for the -3, and gloss sea blue for the -5. Apparently, the scheme changed at the same time as the production changes. Of course, that doesn't really help with the Atlantic scheme!

• Like 1

I think the windscreen is a pretty obvious point of recognition for the vast majority of planes: the F6F-3 had two horizontal frames running aft from the forward panel, which was curved with separate armored glass inside; the F6F-5 had the armored glass integral to the windscreen and dispensed with the horizontal frames, so there were only two separate clear panels. I've seen a few photos of F6F-3Ns with the later windscreen, but not any of F6F-3s.

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Steve

from here

which has a lot of other useful info :)

What Troy posted! I was feverishly looking for my copy, but he beat me to it! Best dash 3 and dash 5 summary, by far! One small detail to add for the late dash 3's and all dash 5's that had the stubs fitted for rockets is that the lower wing flap sections adjacent to the rocket stubs had metal coverings to protect the fabric from rocket exhaust.

Mike

• Like 3

Great stuff folk's many thank's the French Navy scheme is for a 5 which gives me another one to play wit, the decals are from the kit

in Simon's build I wouldx like to do a FAA scheme.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950869-172-italeri-f6f-hellcat/

On 30.03.2017 at 1:21 PM, stevej60 said:

I have 3 Hobbyboss Easy kits coming,one F6F-3 which has an Atlantic scheme which I want to build

First - HobbyBoss describes it as VF-4 aircraft from 1942 while there was no VF-4 in 1942 (it was activated on 4th August 1943). Second - the 1st production Hellcat was flown in October 1942 with 1st F6F-3 reached the operational unit (VF-9 aboard USS Essex) on 16th January 1943. Third - AFAIK first USN Hellcats operating above Atlantic were the F6F-5s from USS Tulagi and USS Kasaan Bay during the Operation Dragoon (allied landing in Southern France) in August 1944 with FAA Hellcats operating over the North Sea alfready in .August 1943. Thus (as often is the case with Hobby Boss) the painting scheme is fictious, although SIMILARLY (Light Grey undersides in lieu of White) F6F-3s were operating over Pacific in early 1943 from USS Essex and USS Yorktown - there are plenty of such photos.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

I googled but not many results of two-tone F6Fs. Here is an early Hellcat in two-tone scheme - I am not sure if it is Atlantic one

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania atlantic grumman hellcat

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, JWM said:

I googled but not many results of two-tone F6Fs. Here is an early Hellcat in two-tone scheme - I am not sure if it is Atlantic one

J-W

Nope, Brother... Although this F6F-3 started her life in two-tone USN camo here she already features three tones. Frankly speaking the undersides do not look as white as insignia stars, so maybe it's only Dark Sea Blue superimposed over Sea Grey/Light Grey camo, but I have never found OFFICIAL statement about such painted aircraft (same applies to F4Us,, F4Fs, SBDs, TBFs, a.s.o.).   

A two-tone Hellcat is visible here F6F-3_Hellcat_24_of_VF-9_on_board_the_ca

• Like 4

The first F6F-3s delivered for the initial deployment were in the Blue-Grey/Light Grey finish. However by the time the two carriers reached Pearl Harbor, the conversion to the tri-color scheme was in effect and the camouflage on those already delivered Hellcats was hastily revised to approximate the new scheme (The picture posted by JWM shows this). All three photos posted are of very early -3s, the fairings on the wing guns are give-aways.

• Like 2

I think I may have confused thing's as I don't have the kit's yet and was looking at a small photo of the colour call out's on the net I think the 

scheme is blue gray over light gray which should still look good,many thank's for the info and photo's guy's great response,I did Tamiya's

Corsair in a similar scheme and it's one of my favourite build's to date

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998563-sending-in-the-marines-tamiya-corsair148/

10 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

The first F6F-3s delivered for the initial deployment were in the Blue-Grey/Light Grey finish. However by the time the two carriers reached Pearl Harbor, the conversion to the tri-color scheme was in effect and the camouflage on those already delivered Hellcats was hastily revised to approximate the new scheme (The picture posted by JWM shows this). All three photos posted are of very early -3s, the fairings on the wing guns are give-aways.

I knew that, Chuck, but could "hastily" mean that for some time the fin and fuselage sides were left in Blue-Gray (frankly speaking very very close to - just more greyish - the Intermediate Blue) and undersides in Light Grey? Photos of production F6F-3s in the 1943 three (four) colour scheme show undersides much lighter than featured by the CV-9 plane posted by JWM. Some 40 years ago somebody (perhaps John Wood or maybe William Hobson) has stated, that while repainting the F4U-1s the vertical tails were very often left in Blue-Gray (to avoid masking or repainting the tiny BuAer serials), whereas the fuselage sides were repainted in "proper" Intermediate Blue. Have you heard about that?

Cheers

Michael

On 4/1/2017 at 3:38 AM, KRK4m said:

I knew that, Chuck, but could "hastily" mean that for some time the fin and fuselage sides were left in Blue-Gray (frankly speaking very very close to - just more greyish - the Intermediate Blue) and undersides in Light Grey? Photos of production F6F-3s in the 1943 three (four) colour scheme show undersides much lighter than featured by the CV-9 plane posted by JWM. Some 40 years ago somebody (perhaps John Wood or maybe William Hobson) has stated, that while repainting the F4U-1s the vertical tails were very often left in Blue-Gray (to avoid masking or repainting the tiny BuAer serials), whereas the fuselage sides were repainted in "proper" Intermediate Blue. Have you heard about that?

Cheers

Michael

Sorry to take so long in responding. Somewhere (perhaps the Ginter book on the Hellcat?) there was a brief mention and a picture of the work done at Pearl  when the carriers (Essex and Yorktowniirc) stopped on their way to the Marcus Island raids. What I vaguely recall is the upper surface of the wings and fuselage spines were repainted a darker blue that may have actually been DSB or just an approximation, the sides and vertical tail were left Blue-Gray, and undersides left Light Gray, much like the photo posted by JWM.

I know that if I actually get around to building the Eduard 1/72 F6F-3 as an early one with the gun fairings, I will do Flatley's 00.