Another 1:72 Sopwith double build: Revell Triplane and HR Models Pup - Pup also finished

This is more of a notice of intention at the moment, as I want to finish the Muromets before getting involved in anything else.
  I have decided on my next build, and as I have also decided to repaint the roundals on the Muromets, I want something to do while waiting for the previous colour to dry enough to be masked. A little reasearch and parts clean up fits the bill, so here is what I'm starting with.

The HR Models Pup is a really nice kit. The detail is well moulded and crisp. The decals let it down a little as the blue is far too light, but that's easily remedied. So here are the standard sprue shots.....

33599294081_ca701da0c1_b.jpg

33687462386_ce10c22764_b.jpg

I think most 1:72 scale modellers are familiar with Revell's Triplane. My kit has new decals which are very nicely done, but the kit does need some work.....

33687460776_03ec7beca9_b.jpg

The fuselage will be reskinned on the cockpit sides and on the rear decking to give a better rendition of the ribbing under the fabric. I will be using an Aeroclub engine (if it fits!), prop and Vickers gun, and either my own 3d printed wheels or the spare set from the Pup kit, I haven't looked closely at them yet to see if they will work. The cowling will also need some work to open up the vents and add a little more depth to it, and the struts may be modified and used, or scratchbuilt...again I need to look a little closer at what I have. The tail surfaces will probably be scratchbuilt, the undercarriage definitely will be! And then there are the ejector pin marks....

See you soon!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
editing!
  • Like 10

Great choice of kits - I did not know there was an alternative to the venerable Airfix Pup - this one looks good , and I admire your decision to tackle the ancient Triplane and look forward to seeing your work on it as I have two in the stash awaiting inspiration. Presume you are aware that Wingnut have the instructions on their web-site for both of these aircraft with lots of yummy details and photos.

• Like 1

Ha! I tnought for a ghastly moment I'd overlooked the finale of the Muromets. If this means more of your lovely wood effects I'm watching for sure Ian.:D

Good luck with these.

Tony

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Great choice of kits - I did not know there was an alternative to the venerable Airfix Pup - this one looks good , and I admire your decision to tackle the ancient Triplane and look forward to seeing your work on it as I have two in the stash awaiting inspiration. Presume you are aware that Wingnut have the instructions on their web-site for both of these aircraft with lots of yummy details and photos.

Thanks! I have all of HR Models injected kits (Nieuport 10, Phoenix C.I and Hanriot) and they are all really nice. I am aware of the WnW site, thanks. I use it a lot!

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh lovely I'm in.:popcorn:

John

Come on in!

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Ha! I tnought for a ghastly moment I'd overlooked the finale of the Muromets. If this means more of your lovely wood effects I'm watching for sure Ian.:D

Good luck with these.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll go into a little more of the "how I did it", instead of just the "what I did" on these.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hendie said:

oh dear.... he's off again....

'fraid so!

Thanks for the interest everyone! I did the last of the painting on the Muromets national insignia this afternoon so that left me to start looking at the Triplane a little more closely....

After cleaning up the flash, the first thing I noticed was that there was very pronounced rib detail on the UNDERSIDE of the wings! So that was the first job - to remove it all!

Here's one of the centre wings done, and the second one waiting for attention.........

32934328713_ea01c5464d_b.jpg

There were also a lot of sink marks/ejector pin marks on the wings, so these were then either sanded off or filled accordingly.

I then looked at the fuselage, and the first thing I noticed was the cockpit. 

33706839226_31a8124d46_b.jpg

The front was too far back by about 3mm and the rear by about 1mm. I marked out where the front should be and filed/sanded it out..

33706846056_61f40b3514_b.jpg

It's difficult to get the correct perspective on both the front and rear with my camera, but this is close.

32934330193_ba39e3be8a_b.jpg

So after a few hours fiddling about today, this is what I achieved:

33747502365_2d60dc17b6_b.jpg

A fair improvement to be getting on with, more to come soon!

Ian

• Like 6

5 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Yum, yum, :popcorn:. Can I join the fun? Looking very good.

Christian, exiled to africa

'Course you can, come on in! By the way, is someone from Dar-es-Salaam called a Salami?

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

I'll be pulling up a seat for this one if you don't mind. 

Not at all, plenty of room!

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Nice thread you've got going here Ian, 'specially seeing as I have both these kits, I'm all overcome with enthusiasm. Carry on. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I hope I'll be able to provide some useful info for your builds!

Ian

• Like 1

I got a little carried away on the Triplane today, after sorting out the Muromets roundels!

First I looked at the struts - I removed the lumps on the sides for locating the wings, and sanded them to a more aerodynamic shape (more aerodynamic than the plank shape they were moulded in at least!). I then added a piece of .015"x.030" strip to the edges of the middle wings, as the struts should pass through the wing, not butt up against it. 

33764891025_4c0e0545ca_b.jpg

The remainder of the gap will be filled with PPP once the wings are mounted on the struts. I may even do that before mounting the wings, we'll see.... The cut outs at the rear of the middle wings were also enlarged by sanding them out to the second rib. The kit, for some reason, has the cutouts ending somewhere between the first and second ribs!

My thoughts then turned to the interior, and since I want to add a reasonable amount of detail, I wanted to make sure I could do that without any problems from the lower wing. I therefore taped the fuselage together, then taped the lower wing in place to see how much, if any, of the wing edges might need to be removed to ensure that the cockpit framing would not stop me adding the wing later! I stuck a pencil in through the cockpit and marked the inner wing edges so that I could sand them off to be level with the fuselage sides..

33723363516_52ccb07ece_b.jpg

Not too bad, but a little sanding needed!
 Once that was taken care of I added the basic framework with .020"x.020" rod and measured up for the false floor using dividers. This will hide the edges of the lower wing fitment and enable the cockpit to be built in situ before closing up the fuselage. The framework so far is just top and bottom longerons, and the 3 vertical formers each side in the cockpit area, care being taken of course to ensure that both sides matched!

33635228441_8868270eb1_b.jpg

The floor was then cut from .010" sheet and glued in place....

33723362266_387dddd4e1_b.jpg

33764511755_207f7c73cc_b.jpg

A perfect fit!

The formers were then added on the floor to match the side ones, and the cockpit sidewall framework was added using .010" rod for the longitudinal ones, and .010"x.030" strip for the vertical ones. I added the horizontal ones first, then when dry, I used a scalpel blade to cut slots for the vertical formers to fit into. This worked fine on one side, but on the side I'd added the floor it was virtually impossible. If you use this method, do the sidewalls before adding the floor!

33723359526_5382e11b59_b.jpg

I haven't added the foremost vertical former as it won't be visible, and I'd had enough by then anyway!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 8

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

'Course you can, come on in! By the way, is someone from Dar-es-Salaam called a Salami?

Ian

Hmm, :hmmm:, that does make some sense:D.

Usually they are reffered to as lazy, idle XXXX, (insert expletive of choice)...

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 2

I reached the point yesterday where I was ready to spray the interior of the Triplane, so today I dug out the Pup and sprayed them both together. 

33737472266_d944b268a9_b.jpg

Ready for a start on painting the wood frames now, then I will be able to add the lower part of the struts on the Triplane, and the rest of the interior detail on both of them.

Since the Pup was now out of its box, i clipped all the main parts off and did a dry run to see how everything fitted together It's really not bad at all, especially for a short run kit! There are a couple of small areas which need attention though.... 

The fit of the lower wing is a little tight, so I had to carefully file out the gap between the wings to get them to fit over the fuselage, and also square off the rear part of the opening in the fuselage. 

33393770700_867bd60efe_b.jpg

Note too, that the front part of the wing is the lower drip channel under the engine, and this part fits between the fuselage sides, so the bottom edge of the firewall needs to be filed to give a nice square,close, fit.

33649197991_b05e26c9f8_b.jpg

The other part that needed a little attention was the upper front fuselage panel. Two are provided in the kit, one for an armed, and one for an unarmed, version. Place this part on a flat sanding stick and gently sand the mating surfaces to give a flush fit on top of the fuselage halves - particularly at the rear end, where it meets the front of the cockpit. 

This is what I ended up with after that little session..

33649201241_8cbdbaf535_b.jpg

33649195801_e074c76aa6_b.jpg

There are also 3 cowlings in the kit: Sopwith, Standard, and Whitehead, along with 2 sets of wheels, one showing the spoke pattern through the fabric, and one not, so even if you can't find the specific kit you want to build the version you desire, you should be able to build it from any kit and just source decals from elsewhere.

The wing tips need a little attention and reshaping, but nothing major. They are also a fraction too long, but I'm not going to bother with that.

Back to the painting!

Ian

• Like 9

Thanks John!

I need a little side-build during a long one such as the Muromets, and this is serving that purpose. The aim at the moment being to complete the internals and button them up before returning to the Muromets.

A fair bit of progress has been made to that end, especially on the Triplane. The interior paintwork is done, and I made up the seat supports and foot boards, painted, and added those. The seats for both are Barracuda resin, with Eduard PE belts. I have also made an instrument panel, easily done as it's almost identical in size to the one in the Pup kit, and the small wooden panels behind the cockpits on both. 

33695708431_ba3cdfe554_b.jpg

33695707011_c0bfd9b27f_b.jpg

and the Pup....

33784055916_3553d48079_b.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get the controls in and then I can button them up!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 10

As per usual the detailing and woodwork are exquisite Ian. I'm also thoroughly enjoying your explanantion of the various corrections required. :smartass:

Tony

• Like 1