Another 1:72 Sopwith double build: Revell Triplane and HR Models Pup - Pup also finished

Ian, excellent work.

A pity I didn't come across this thread before I started my Sopwith Triplane, but I do have two, so I'll treat the first as a learning curve :doh:.

Please continue...:popcorn:

Stuart

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 6:20 PM, Courageous said:

Ian, excellent work.

A pity I didn't come across this thread before I started my Sopwith Triplane, but I do have two, so I'll treat the first as a learning curve :doh:.

Please continue...:popcorn:

Stuart

Welcome aboard Stuart, I hope you find it useful!

Some more progress, colour on at last! After completing the undersides, I got some paint on the uppersurfaces yesterday, PC10 for the Pup and PC12 for the Triplane, both Misterkit colours. 

34418866252_8b15b77433_b.jpg

34418866182_50956b07c2_b.jpg

I then got the aluminium on this morning and have been looking for bits and pieces to do since then. 

34194580300_0737508c4c_b.jpg

The cowling inners and undersides have also been done, but that's all for now until the paint is dry enough to mask and I can get the red on the Pup nose.

The "bits and pieces" that I decided on was making a start on the guns. I have one Aeroclub and one MiniWorld. The Aeroclub has had the grip cut and filed to form the attachment points for the windscreen. I then noticed that the MiniWorld gun is wrong...the cocking handle is at the top instead of underneath. So, I cut it off and CA'd it back on in more or less the correct place...

33737717914_0069eb8df8_b.jpg

Hopefully it stays on, but it's no big deal if it doesn't it will not be seen behind the windscreen!

Finally toady, I attached the Triplane's tail......

34418946922_510828f455_b.jpg

Tomorrow's first job will be to mask and paint the Pup nose, then maybe start on the struts.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 8

Going great there Ian.

I like the resin seats from Barracuda but I don't think they were standard fit?

I also like the Miniworld guns, must remember to correct the cocking handle.

Looking forward to your rigging exercise on the Triplane, want to see how you run the wire through the mid-wing.:hmmm:

Keep up the good work.

Stuart

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 5:34 PM, Courageous said:

I like the resin seats from Barracuda but I don't think they were standard fit?

Possibly not, but pilot's were known to replace the seats with privately purchased ones!

On 5/10/2017 at 5:34 PM, Courageous said:

Looking forward to your rigging exercise on the Triplane, want to see how you run the wire through the mid-wing.:hmmm:

All will be revealed soon Stuart!

18 hours ago, pheonix said:

Excellent progress - especially the work on the guns. As usual you are showing the rest of us how to do the job properly!

P

Or not..... read on..

Many, many, thanks to all for the kind comments, they are very much appreciated!

After feeling pleased with my progress, it was only natural that a couple of backward steps had to be made! The cowlings were not good fits, the Triplane was particularly bad, requiring quite a bit of PPP......

34229301680_a98f48922e_b.jpg

the Pup not so bad, merely requiring a little sanding of the top and lower corners of the fuselage to match the curve of the cowl....

34453599162_cb40cc9802_b.jpg

That, of course, meant repainting the aluminium on the Triplane

34484918831_3b679e22dd_b.jpg

oh :poop:!

Yes, I got careless, now I need to repaint the wings too to get rid of the aluminium overspray. What a plonker!

Oh well, this afternoon's job is clear then.....

Ian

• Like 9

Don't be so hard on yourself about the overspray, we have all done it and will most likely do it again.

Martian

• Like 1

Thanks martian, problem is, I then went and did the same thing on the Pup!, Oh well....

Those were both put right yesterday, so I had intended to carry on today with a gloss coat.

Unfortunately something just didn't look right with the Pup's nose. I thought it was just an optical illusion at first, caused by not-quite-perpendicular edges to the red on the cowling, so I touched those up,

34272298090_064c5c3335_b.jpg

but it still wasn't looking right. I then put a square on it...

34616880416_ee44b9d710_b.jpg

There's the problem - the nose looks as though it's turned up because it is! The nose is on a straight line from the rear decking, instead of being parallel to the top longeron.
 Remember I've already sanded down the top of the forward fuselage to fit the cowling, obviously it needs more. So I removed the cowling and engine, added some tape to mark the line of the longeron, then sanded the top of the forward fuselage a little more.....

34272289610_03d7844a54_b.jpg

With the cowling taped back on it looks much better now...

33815241984_8ab641ff55_b.jpg

33815240534_5595be52e8_b.jpg

The engine and cowling have now been replaced and I'm waiting on those to dry properly before masking off and repainting the red.

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

• Like 11

I'm glad that  you place a fingertip in shot now and again Ian just to remind us of the teeny size of this region of the universe that you're at work on. :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1

Good spot with the nose. I hadn't picked up on it but the moment you mentioned it, it was glaringly obvious.

Martian

• Like 1

Thanks folks, your comments are much appreciated! I wish I'd spotted the error with the nose earlier, but better late than never!

I gave these two a gloss coat yesterday, so today I was able to take the next step - adding the fuselage decals.

The Pup was easy enough, or so I thought. The blue of the kit decals is far too light, so I had to find something else. The aftermarket sheets I have don't have any fuselage decals big enough without the white outline, so I had to look elsewhere. The answer, strangely enough, came from the Airfix Pup! I built an old blister pack Pup a few years ago and the "Anzac" decal disintegrated. I contacted Airfix who sent me a new decal sheet, but it was for the rebox RNAS version so it was no help..until now! The blue is still a little too light, but acceptable, so I have used the roundels from it on this one.

34685457316_b61b506368_b.jpg

Unfortunately the white stripe around the fuselage is not provided as a decal so I will gloss coat these tomorrow, and when that's dry, I'll mask off the stripe and spray it.

The Triplane was relatively simple in that the new issue decals are pretty good. The one flaw was the serial number, which was far too large.

34685456166_c504b4f89a_b.jpg

I have a sheet of Pegasus RFC/RNAS serial numbers, but unfortunately there is no "N", so I had to use one of the spare ones in the Pup kit. It's a little small, but far better than the kit decals.

34685454826_f3fb88462b_b.jpg

That still didn't look right, so I moved the numbers closer together and trimmed the white backing panel.

34594388491_f788cacda0_b.jpg

Not perfect, with the slightly smaller and bolder "N", but it's far better, and will suffice - it really isn't too noticeable to the naked eye.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 8

On 27/04/2017 at 3:26 AM, limeypilot said:

Another fruitful afternoon with not a lot to show.... however all the rigging holes have now been drilled in the Triplane. 
 I promised a "how-to" guide, so I will go into a little more detail than usual here to hopefully help those just entering the WWI modelling scene......this is, however, only MY way of doing it, not the ONLY way, so feel free to adapt it to your own needs!

:facepalm:This looks tricky Ian, I'll have to give it a try and do my best. After all, you can't build a bi-plane without the rigging. :whistle:

What a fun thread regarding two of my favourite builds! It has inspired me to dig out an Airfix Tripe and work on that soon.  Nice to see you are using Mister Kit PC-10 and 12 as well.  I find they are excellent colours for these English birds and the semi-gloss is accurate.  Your attention to detail is very nice and these promise to be excellent additions to anyone's cabinet.  I am also a fan of the HR kits.  They seem to offer an excellent array of aircraft and odd one's to boot.  I look forward to the rest of this build thread!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2017 at 9:58 AM, Fritag said:

Lovely neat work Ian, especially given just how tiny they are in 1/72.   Sure you're not risking your medical cat straining the eyes on such wee beasties? :) 

Funnily enough I have perfect near vision, I don't need any correction at all...yet! In fact I often take my glasses off when I'm modelling, or reading.

I have been a bit quiet lately 'cos I have actually had to work! Then there's the garden, now that all the wrong things are starting to grow.....I have got a few bits and bobs done though. The Vickers guns are on, and the white stripe around the Pup has been added, which would have been so much easier had I realised there was no decal for it before I painted the PC10. My main worry of course, was having the tape remove the decals, and I got all of it off no problem..except the very last piece which tore a roundel. In fact that piece was so tacky it even left a sticky mess on the paint! I managed to salvage the torn piece and hopefully with a little touching up it won't be noticeable.

34811072982_72ec528684_b.jpg

Ian

• Like 6