RAF aircraft dinghy

Mancunian airman

It may look pale yellow but did these dinghy come in any other shape  or colour as I have an Oval one that I want to include in a diorama

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/women-war-workers-making-aircraft-dinghies-at-a-british-news-photo/53179421#women-war-workers-making-aircraft-dinghies-at-a-british-factory-war-picture-id53179421

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
Correct link to photo . . .

I can't comment with any certainty at all but I used to work for an offshore helicopter company and the rafts on those things were substancially bigger but from the picture you posted that raft is far too big for 1 or 2 people.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Single seat aircraft used the "K" dinghy; this was coffin shaped (same basic shape still used). Multi crew aircraft used the circular-shaped "J". IIRC the "J" could fit at least 5-6, and possibly 7 for bomber crews. Not sure if there was a third type for larger crews, such as Sunderland.

All the best,

Michael.

The diorama shown on Aeroscale is not a "K" dinghy; looks like your best hope for an oval shaped dinghy is to model a "Q" dinghy as shown in Jari's links.

I would also suggest not modelling any aircrew figures wearing oxygen masks while in the dinghy; standard procedure was to remove and discard these before hitting the water (whether the arrival was by ditching or by parachute) due to the extremely high risk of drowning if worn. While it's a lovely diorama, the poor pilot would have drowned before he had time to release his harness, inflate his Mae West, inflate and board his dinghy, all because he kept his mask, and it's long oxygen tube, on.

In more modern times, USAF HGU-26/P and USN HGU-33/P helmets could be fitted with a mask jettisoning device (using tablets that dissolved once they came in contact with water, I think!) to release the mask from the helmet should the aircrew be unconscious and unable to remove the mask themselves prior to hitting the water - not sure if they are still fitted to the more modern helmets.

Michael 

3 hours ago, Finn said:

As mentioned the pilot sat on his but this pic shows the Spitfire had other raft capability:

That's an Air Sea Rescue setup, those dinghy's are dropped for rescues of other aircrew, the pilot still sat on his own personal survival dinghy.

• Like 2