Time to ditch the wingy things and armour up! First AFV WIP - Academy M3 Grant 1:35

clive_t

More progress today. Decals:

36652568212_7d5443a144_b.jpg

Then the protective shroud for the 75mm gun - made from several bits of two-ply tissue paper soaked in dilute PVA. I also did the sand=proofing of the 75mm and 37mm guns :

35988747744_755f5bf9c8_b.jpg

The strands of cotton will be snipped off when everything is dry.

Then I painted the straps for the tools on the rear of the hull, and fitted the tools:

36683436101_7476bee0e6_b.jpg

You can probably just about make out a few of the places where I tried the HB pencil 'chipping' technique.

I made a new towing cable (from 3 strands of steel picture wire, twisted using 2 pin-vises) and fitted it, but not in the place where it's intended to be stowed. I found a couple of reference photos showing a grant with its towing cable connected to one of the front linkages, and strung along the side of the hull to a point in the rear - not sure exactly where, but I emulated the look and connected the other end to one of  the securing straps.

36652666642_e133d3d8fa_b.jpg

36652664442_83d62ff4ab_b.jpg

All in all, I am pleased with today! :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, clive_t said:

All in all, I am pleased with today! :)

And so you should be. It's looking good now that it's coming to an end. What next? Another AFV, or back to the wingey things?

John.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looking very nice, that pencil wearing looks fantastic.

Thanks Ozzy, and thanks for the reminder about the technique.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

And so you should be. It's looking good now that it's coming to an end. What next? Another AFV, or back to the wingey things?

John.

Thanks John, still a bit to do but it's turning out pretty good for only my second ever armour related kit - the first was over 30 years ago!

As for what to do next... well, I have about 100 kits in the stash, 4 of which are armour. I have the Academy Lee, which I fancy making up as a recovery vehicle, with crane arm etc. That might be for another time, though. I suspect, though, my next port of call might well be a recently acquired Airfix 1:48 16-pdr anti-tank gun. Not too many bits, possible scope for incorporating into a dio, figures included so... I think that's going to be it!

This armour thing is starting to grow on me!

Anyway, this is how we stand as of right about now:

36665499032_5c53b0f928_b.jpg

36665494932_d06381ca64_b.jpg

36001999584_f0e4bc917a_b.jpg

36665486882_46358536fa_b.jpg

As I mentioned, more still to do - primarily the stowage and a bit more weathering, and finally the fitting of the doors and hatches in their open positions ready for display on the dio base I am currently making.

Thanks as ever for watching, and for all your helpful handy hints and tips  :yes:

• Like 2

On 8/27/2017 at 11:49 AM, FrancisGL said:

Interesting camo pattern, loot often you have in your hiding place ... lol:popcorn:

Cheers Clive :thumbsup2:

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very nice clive, its looking great now its nearing completion 

Glynn

Thanks chaps.

Indeed, nearing completion. Today was a weathering day. I painted the pepper-pot exhausts a kind of rust colour, then applied a small amount of iron powder to the wet paint. The hope is, of course, that over the next few days the iron will start to oxidise, thereby generating a mild rust effect. I also applied some of the chinchilla dust used on the dio, to the tracks where they are exposed between the sand shields and the ground:

36871321645_eff7cc9303_b.jpg

You may also notice that I had also applied some additional 'bare metal' effects by stippling the surface here and there using a small piece of sponge with a minute amount of metallic paint. You can see it better here:

36871325765_2d0cc6c712_b.jpg

I also applied more iron powder to the front and rear fenders where there is obvious damage.

Next, I applied a small amount of sepia wash to the various hinges and corners etc just to accentuate them a bit:

36700525922_973651f8dd_b.jpg

36731584421_59bae2c0a7_b.jpg

Finally, I was able to apply a 'dust' layer:

36037090454_b96b14168f_b.jpg

36062907023_be4c0f66fa_b.jpg

36731568621_142d009454_b.jpg

36062914103_06c1774e7a_b.jpg

Apologies for the somewhat wayward last photo, but hopefully you get the idea.

Getting close now - stowage, and final door positions plus a few additional adornments and we are done!

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 3

It's looking really good Clive. I hope you won't mind if I make a couple of suggestions. I'd get rid of the majority of the chinchilla dust on the tracks. These tanks operated in very dry conditions and not much would have stuck to the tracks. And the dust cover on the main gun would benefit from a dark wash. The bare metal patches look fine as the desert winds would have sand blasted any vehicle.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's looking really good Clive. I hope you won't mind if I make a couple of suggestions. I'd get rid of the majority of the chinchilla dust on the tracks. These tanks operated in very dry conditions and not much would have stuck to the tracks. And the dust cover on the main gun would benefit from a dark wash. The bare metal patches look fine as the desert winds would have sand blasted any vehicle.

John.

Duly noted, John, thanks for the feedback. I shall attend to that this evening.

Edited to add: I've also just noticed I have omitted the squadron marking on the turret - I am going for a red circle ('C' Squadron). I don't know for sure that this is my father's actual squadron at this time, however I know from an pencilled note on his attestation papers, on enlisting in January 1939 he as initially assigned to the 44th RTR, 'C' Squadron.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2017 at 10:06 AM, clive_t said:

I have the Academy Lee, which I fancy making up as a recovery vehicle, with crane arm etc.

Not sure if it's the done thing to quote one's self, but regarding my previous comment about modelling a recovery vehicle, it appears that Takom will be following up their new M3 releases with this:

M31

US Tank Recovery Vehicle

Takom - Nr. 2088 - 1:35

Just as well I didn't make a start already on my Academy kit-bash then!

• Like 1

Some reworking as suggested:

36758018661_9daab69c81_b.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if I made the shroud for the 75mm gun a little *too* dark now!

I also made a start on some of the stowage - specifically, the camouflage net. I had an idea to try and use some gauze:

36652559642_4d2ea168cf_b.jpg

One small square was dyed with some thinned Tamiya Desert Yellow, then rolled and tied with thin thread:

36897778185_144133a4bb_b.jpg

Then the whole thing was tied on to the side of the vehicle:

36897753335_21cb366e26_b.jpg

Having looked at it again, I am forming the opinion that the roll is too 'fat', and that maybe a smaller piece would look more convincing. Which is a shame, as it took me the best part of an hour to tie  those threads to the tank! No matter, next time I'll make them much longer.

• Like 1

Good to see that finish is almost there. That's mean you start another interesting project. 

I know there is lots of suggestions in your thread, but that camouflage net at this moment looks bit flat. Maybe adding some variation to the colour make it more realistic? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Good to see that finish is almost there. That's mean you start another interesting project. 

I know there is lots of suggestions in your thread, but that camouflage net at this moment looks bit flat. Maybe adding some variation to the colour make it more realistic? 

Thanks Kris, hopefully I'll be able to apply some washes tomorrow to vary it a little - it may even help to shrink it down some.

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Clive, the gauze would probably be ok if you were to soak it in dilute PVA. That way it can be moulded into a more natural appearance.

John. 

Thanks John. It's strange, the things that can keep you awake at night! I spent more time than I should have mulling over how to make it look less like a string of sausages. :)

I might also add some sandy/brown pigments to the dilute PVA and combine the two effects. It may also allow me to stretch the roll slightly, thereby making it thinner. Hopefully then I can accentuate the 'sag' at the points between where the net is tied to the side of the vehicle.

3 minutes ago, clive_t said:

It's strange, the things that can keep you awake at night! I spent more time than I should have mulling over how to make it look less like a string of sausages. :)

Yes I know what you mean. Take another look at my one that I posted on your thread a couple of pages back. The camnet was done exactly how I suggested, and it was gauze (I think).

John.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes I know what you mean. Take another look at my one that I posted on your thread a couple of pages back. The camnet was done exactly how I suggested, and it was gauze (I think).

John.

Thanks for the reminder, John! I think I like it better now:

36086739334_ecfb6358e3_b.jpg

Whilst messing around with trying to get a convincing camouflage net, I was also experimenting with making other bits and pieces from an old (and now thankfully empty) tomato puree tube:

36652564112_5fbca9f838_b.jpg

A bit of spray primer:

36002007974_8abcb3e8ba_b.jpg

And finally another quick spray with desert yellow, plus a sepia wash for good measure:

36750318292_07b989c7f6_b.jpg

Not too shabby to my inexperienced eye, but I will bow to anyone else's superior knowledge on the matter! :)

Now, random question of the day - what colour are (or were) Jerry cans - as captured and put to use by the British in North Africa? I have plenty of reference photos, but all are in black and white so I was wondering what colour such things might be painted. Any and all advice gratefully received, as ever.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I like your add ons there clive, the tom puree especially, the cammo net has a nice dangle to it too now

Glynn

Thanks Glynn - a bit of toning down with some light 'dust' colour should help it also. Still quite a bit to do stowage wise, but the end is close - for the tank, anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice idea about the tomatoe purée tube, I'll save that idea if you don't mind.

Feel free! :)  It's a material I've seen quite widely used on lineside buildings on large-scale railways - chimney flashings and the like. Works quite well in a slightly smaller scale too!

• Like 1

Very good home side additions, the only thing that does not convince me, and is not a criticism, is the canvas of the gun of 75, does not just remain like the rest of the model.
Too many folds and wrinkles IMHO ... maybe an addition in resin would be the best ?.:popcorn:

Cheers Clive :yes:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Very good home side additions, the only thing that does not convince me, and is not a criticism, is the canvas of the gun of 75, does not just remain like the rest of the model.
Too many folds and wrinkles IMHO ... maybe an addition in resin would be the best ?.:popcorn:

Cheers Clive :yes:

Thanks Francis. As far as the 75mm gun shroud is concerned I am less worried about the wrinkles than I am about the colour. To be honest I had assumed it was made of leather - why, I have no idea - but now you've mentioned canvas I am even more convinced that the colour as I have it now is wrong. I will try and place some more tissue-paper and PVA over the top of what is already there, and I will try to cut it so that the folds are reduced.- but not eliminated completely. Then I shall try and get a better colouration.

Today is the day I was supposed to have the tank, and indeed the whole diorama, complete - marking the 75th anniversary of my father being wounded in action during the course of the battle at Alam Halfa. I think I have known for a little while now that I was not going to make it, but thankfully I have resisted the temptation to try and rush things through.

By way of paying my respects to all those who took part in this day, I include here the extract from the 3RTR regimental diary for the day, 1st September 1942:

"September 1942

1st

0430; Reveille.

0500, Moved back to battle position.

0545; Received orders to occupy Pt. 89 at 0615 hrs. – vacated by NOTTS YEO who are advancing two miles on 328 degs. and then due WEST to contact enemy.

0615; Moved towards Pt. 89 but received orders to join advance in reserve to Bde. with 257 A/Tk. Bty and 489 Bty. RA.

0750; Took over right leading position from NOTTS YEO. Bde. two up with STAFFS YEO left.

0830; At 43608810 engaging 28 German Mk. III and Mk. IV tanks to the WEST, but soon became apparent that enemy were in better position and had heavy A/Tk. Guns to our left flank. 3 R. Tanks destroyed three enemy tanks and lost one GRANT destroyed and three GRANTS disabled. The flanking fire from the left gave the STAFFS YEO a lot of trouble and they lost some GRANT tanks. 3 R. Tanks had withdrawn 1000 yards, "A" Sqdn. still in observation forward.

1030; Temporary lull. Readjustment of position. NOTTS YEO came up on left, STAFFS YEO centre, 3 R. Tanks right facing S.S.W.

1130; NOTTS YEO moving forward WEST to try and contact left of 22 Armd. Bde. 3 R. Tanks placed in reserve to left rear of Bde. HQ.

1230; Replenishment and food. Apparent movement of M.E.T. to EAST and N.E. 4000 yards to our SOUTH.

1430; "A" Sqdn. bagged one enemy tank and lost one Crusader.

1330; 3 R. Tanks advanced to Pt. 79 to establish line on left of the other units in Bde.

1600; Some shelling, but attained objective. Enemy fire was from tanks and guns to WEST.

1650; Still on position. Enemy appeared to be manning NORTH edge of DEIR EL AGRAM some 2000 yards to SOUTH or left of our position. Made position quite uncomfortable.

1730; Left flank being somewhat more heavily engaged with A.P. shot and our own ammunition running short and restricted. Apparently some friends to S.E. of DEIR EL AGRAM also shelling enemy concentration in that area.

1945; Pulled back 600 yards to night leaguer.

Casualties 1 officer (Lt. J.A. WATTS) and 5 O.Rs. wounded. Tanks destroyed 1 GRANT 1 CRUSADER. Tanks to w/shops 3 GRANTS 3 CRUSADERS. Tank state 19 GRANTS/LEES 5 CRUSADERS. Enemy tanks destroyed – 4."

It is certain that my father was one of those 5 'other ranks'.

Finally for now, and just to remind myself that military battles - indeed entire wars - ultimately set one ordinary human being against another, I offer this quote from Lieutenant Ken Giles, who by the sound of things was in charge of a Grant - or possibly a Lee - and very likely during this same battle:

"The 75mm main gun is firing, the 37mm secondary gun is firing, but it’s traversed round the wrong way. The Browning is jammed. I am saying, 'Driver advance' on the A set, but the driver – who can’t hear me – is reversing. And as I look over the top of the turret, and see 12 enemy just 50 yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich."

All rather thought-provoking, really.

• Like 5

Very thought provoking. With regards to the dust cover on the 75mm, I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that they were canvas. I painted mine in a canvas colour and then gave it a Mig Dark Wash which is a very blackish brown.

John.

• Like 1

Good choice that you not rush Clive. Very interesting post (your last one). All thise people risk or give their lives for better future and I always impressed when the model have a little bit a story behind.

Canvas too dark.