1/48th Occidental Harvard Mk.II, 2 Wireless School, Sheppard, Alberta, Canada 1943

Hiya Folks,

Since seeing a colour side view of this aircraft many moons ago I have always fancied doing this Harvard with its large Wireless Operators trade badge on the side of the fuselage and thanks to Belcher Bits decals I was able to do so. As with my previous RCN Harvard and Firefly I again used Humbrol Trainer Yellow from a rattle can and was very impressed with it!  According to Wikipedia; Trainees in the "Wireless Air Gunner" (WAG) stream spent 24 weeks at a Wireless School[2][7] learning the theory and application of wireless communications. This included signalling with lights and flags as well as radio. Their "WAG" training was completed with four weeks at a Bombing & Gunnery School.

Here is the model;

DSCF9871_zpsktofx6z9.jpg

DSCF9876_zpstqkd1w50.jpg

DSCF9877_zpswotnjzdg.jpg

DSCF9884_zps7ih6qlt2.jpg

DSCF9885_zpsaup03e6n.jpg

DSCF9893_zpsjxxahtim.jpg

DSCF9886_zpsexfnq7zw.jpg

DSCF9888_zpsbwwcd8jm.jpg

DSCF9889_zpsomusp8gi.jpg

DSCF9892_zpshnojpvy3.jpg

This is the first time that I have built the Occidental kit (which has now been reboxed by Italeri) and I was very impressed, although I lost the rear cockpit instrument panel and console and had to build a new one from plastic card and a spare Monogram kit part cut down to size. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 42

Loving it! Nice choice of markings. If its yellow trainer it nearly has to be RCAF!!;)

It reminds me, I must get some time and complete my Monogram Texan as the one I flew in at Kissimmee in 2001 I have Belcher Bits Decals which has the right USMC markings and code.  Does anyone want the resin early rudder bits???

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Lovely work Tony, glad to see you building again. Hope your health has improved.

Cheers Andy,......yes I`m slowly getting there,.....walking and standing are still a problem but I can lie down and stick bits of plastic together now without being in too much pain and it is keeping me sane! See I`m even doing a bit of poetry too!

4 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Loving it! Nice choice of markings. If its yellow trainer it nearly has to be RCAF!!;)

It reminds me, I must get some time and complete my Monogram Texan as the one I flew in at Kissimmee in 2001 I have Belcher Bits Decals which has the right USMC markings and code.  Does anyone want the resin early rudder bits???

I`ve done a Monogram one recently too (as a RCN one) but another has stalled in progress as I`ve lost a wheel and the prop! The Kissimee exerience is great isn`t it, here is me doing the same;

DSCF0099_zpsilkd0ywf.jpg  

Cheers for your kind remarks folks,

All the best

Tony

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

Thanks for sharing the story and the excellent model.

Sharp photography. Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

Now that is pure inspiration. Great build Tony. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::penguin:

Make note to self ....buy one to do a RN version

Dick

• Like 1

Thanks for your very kind words everybody, so glad that you like it I must admit that I`m pleased to add this to my collection at last as I`ve always liked this scheme.

13 hours ago, jenko said:

Now that is pure inspiration. Great build Tony. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::penguin:

Make note to self ....buy one to do a RN version

Dick

I look forward to seeing it Dick,....I`ve recently finished a Fleet Air Arm one too and posted it here on BM.

All the best

Tony

I'm glad to see that you're feeling better now.

You've done a cracking cracking job with this one. I really like the Harvard in that scheme. Are the markings available in 1/72 by any chance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cngaero said:

I'm glad to see that you're feeling better now.

You've done a cracking cracking job with this one. I really like the Harvard in that scheme. Are the markings available in 1/72 by any chance?

Thanks,.....glad you like the model,..... I`m slowly getting there but still struggling to stand and walk yet, but I`m getting my modelling mojo back now! 

I`ve just had a look at the Belcher Bits website and they do not appear to have these decals in 1/72nd scale, sorry.

Cheers

Tony