Help !! - Vallejo Surface Primer

RJ-WobblyHands

So What am I doing wrong .... this stuff randomly peels off at the slightest touch !!

The base is clean and dry.. , the primer well mixed - shook the bottle for a several  minutes.

Misty light coats were applied 

Then left it for 24-48hrs before spraying the base  coat.

It's not my favourite either.  I had that same problem with their Metal Color (sic) primer.  That and you can't sand it without peeling. 

Alclad and Ultimate's rebadge of Badger Stylnrez (or however you spell it) are the best from my POV, but Alclad is lacqueur based, while Ultimate Primer is acrylic based.  All IMHO, I must add :)

Thats just how that stuff is. Not really a 'workable' primer the way that people think primers should be. The vallejo stuff in my opinion is best for armour or figures, stuff that won't need masking, or to provide a uniform base colour over different components (resin/metal/plastic) before the main paintjob starts. 

If you want a workable and tough acrylic primer - get some stynylrez instead 👍🏿

Edited by Tony Oliver
Posted same info as Mike at about the same time.

:doh: Oh yes, I forgot about Mr Surfacer.  That or Tamiya Fine Surface Primer in cans can usually be found in my spray booth in case I need to do some spot priming :)

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

Stylnrez

31 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

stynylrez

You woz right, but I was only one letter away, and still struggle with the correct pronunciation.  I'd rather say "Ultimate Primer".  Much easier, and trips of the tongue... it also sands exceptionally well, unlike most acrylic primers :yahoo:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

it also sands exceptionally well

It most certainly does! 

Plus you don't get any dry gritty/rough overspray areas like you can with lacquer types that dry too soon in the air. 

Stynylrez almost always lands 'wet' and then self levels. 

I don't use anything else to prime with now 👍🏿