Should have gone to Specsavers

Hello,Bentwaters 81 tfw - My full compliments to you on this fine-looking build of your 'B-17'. I know 'assembly ships' wore spectacular schemes and to achieve this  as well as you have done is testament to your finishing skills and also your patience.The end result speaks for itself.Great work.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

Lovely job. Formation ships had some schemes. No set pattern ..can't be missed !

My dad told me about these garish bright yellow, red and white stripes, checker board etc. B-17s going over RAF Halton out of Cheddington near Tring and Bovingdon ,other side of Berkhamsted during the War along with hundreds of others, barely clearing the Chiltern Hills full loaded. Later seeing them coming back with spluttering dead engine (s) on fire , shot up,daylight through wings etc. and no doubt a few missing. A handful diverted to Halton, in the war, couldn't fly on any longer..

When the Mighty 8th went home in 45 the sky went black with the local 8th units flying low including Mustangs and Thunderbolts flying over.

In 1970/71 we found  wreckage way up on the hills behind our block in the thick trees from 1940 odd. It was a C-47 trying to make RAF Bovingdon in Fog , my dad was there then too.

Well done, great subject, thanks for showing !

• Like 1

That is very nice indeed..... nice to see an assembly ship and a lesser known one at that! I bet it looks very imressive in 48th scale too. 

Cheers

Tony

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Admit it, those are just little blue sticky labels made by Blick :hmmm:

No chance of missing that one in the sky :coolio:

No. I used a Bingo marker.

All told there are just under 500 decals on that - 470 or so blue spots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

All told there are just under 500 decals on that - 470 or so blue spots.

That's cheating - you should have masked them all off :wicked:

• Like 1

You could have painted her blue and then applied a load of Blick stickers... then overlaid dozens of coats of white to completely obliterate all the detail and removed the stickers (if you could still see them).  If it were white dots on a blue ship, it would have been doable, but with the coverage of white, it would have been a nightmare :frantic:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

You could have painted her blue and then applied a load of Blick stickers... then overlaid dozens of coats of white to completely obliterate all the detail and removed the stickers (if you could still see them).  If it were white dots on a blue ship, it would have been doable, but with the coverage of white, it would have been a nightmare :frantic:

I did that for an airbrushed picture on Bristol  Board involving a woman in Polka Dot pedal pushers and some other paintings. Mine was white dots and covering in Blue. Too easy and worked like a charm. With this I would think the white coats required would build up way above the base Blue and build up around the Dot sticker edges wouldn't work, not smooth. Removing the stickers is something else and so time consuming. The model would have to be held down securely because the thing would move around with the picking off action.

I've used rub down symbols/lettering like Letraset. I pick the lettering/Dot off with masking tape after spraying, it comes off in bits, not too messy to do, but is crisp when done and leaves a clean ground/base colour. Thats with Acrylics never done Letraset with enamel though.

wow ! Wouldn't miss that would you?

Then that was the idea, great work.

Guy