Apollo Vs. Skylab launch vehicles, Question?

Structor

Dragon's kits are beautifully detailed but unfortunately their research lets them down sometimes. Probably the most heinous error is their Space Shuttle Orbiter with full internal detail - and an entry hatch on both sides! I've only seen photos of this so I don't know what lies behind the starboard hatch...

With regard to the BBC wiping their Apollo coverage - tragic. The actual mission footage remains, of course, but it's what's going on in the studio that brings home what the situation is. One clip that has survived is Burke and Patrick Moore during Apollo 13's re-entry. As they're waiting for Acquisition of Signal following the blackout, the camera focuses on Burke and his fingers are tightly crossed. That sums up how tense the situation was.

As an aside, I've often wished that somebody with access to old newspapers would bring out a book reproducing the coverage of the various space missions. Going back to Apollo 13, any book written since the flight is done with the hindsight that the astronauts got back safely. But a newspaper story written during the flight would not have this and I feel sure the uncertainty and fear for the crew would be prominent. That would get across how things were at the time far better than any book from years afterwards.

We had a lodger staying with us a few years ago who was actually a Marconi/EMI employee and was IN THE BBC STUDIO when James Burke announced that  Apollo 13 was in trouble. I had the footage on a VHS tape and I showed it to him. He'd not seen it since April 1970 -

Yes, that is exactly the clip I mentioned. It's from a Horizon programme to mark the 25th anniversary of Sputnik 1, shown in 1982.

That's where I managed to tape it.

There is more of it on you tube, although I've not seen the longer version for a while. It does make you wonder what else is lurking in TV company archives.

Regarding the James Burke video:  That's a great clip. I had never seen it. Who needs fiction when real drama such as that fills the history of civilization? 

I have watched the first 3 episodes of Moon Machines. I really appreciate clueing me into that. I has been exciting and informative. I can't help but think about all the technology that we presently have and how much easier space exploration is now. Of course much of the technology we enjoy today is a direct result or was advanced because of the space program.  There were so many unknown and untried technologies needed. So many places that things could go wrong. It is a wonder that we did it. And add to that what seemed, and was, an unrealistic deadline. There is still an immense amount of risk but those first astronauts and cosmonauts were subjected to risk many magnitudes greater. 

A rather timely event has occurred.  Its likely just a coincidence. I have an Audible account (audio books) and they have something called the Daily Deal. Todays daily deal is Spaceman: An Astronaut's Unlikely Journey to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe by Mike Massimino.  It appears to be an inspirational memoir of sorts. It has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars so should be a decent read. For $4 certainly worth a go. I say that it is likely just a coincidence because Audible is owned by Amazon and I have been browsing a number of space related books on Amazon (I think the Haynes Saturn V will be my first). I know we are all targeted as consumers based on our online browsing habits but I don't believe the daily deal is tailored to individual people. 

Tim I have another question on the David Weeks drawings. Do they include the Apollo stack or only the launch vehicle. The price is much more than the other sets so it would seem that they are included.

If you're into scratchbuilding then this book is a goldmine of ideas.

Lunar_Exploration_Scrapbook.jpg

It's packed with designs for lunar exploration craft that never made it off the drawing boards - advanced LMs, lunar rovers, even a winged Apollo CSM that would have flown back and landed on a runway like the Shuttle.

49 minutes ago, GordonD said:

If you're into scratchbuilding then this book is a goldmine of ideas.

Thanks Gordon. I have added it to my list. I found it used on Amazon for a good price, Very good condition, $14 including shipping. Can't beat that.

Bear in mind that Mike Massimino isn't a real astronaut; he only plays one on The Big Bang Theory!

No, that's not true, he has made two Shuttle flights, but he clearly has a whale of a time appearing on the show!

In regards to David Week's Saturn V drawings:  I have contacted RealSpaceModels to get further info. I wanted to know what was included when purchasing the Saturn V set. I asked if they portray the Saturn V in launch configuration. I was told they are drawn that way.  I have a question to anyone that owns a set. Is there enough info included for the LEM, CM, SM and LES to model a Saturn V as it sits on the launch pad. If you could answer it with the following in mind 1) my first thought is to build a model that does not come apart into separate stages 2) if I decide to model it such that the stages do come apart and I model the detail at the breaks will the Saturn V set alone be sufficient? I know there are other sets for the Apollo and Lunar craft but I would rather not buy them at this point if I don't have to.

Thanks for your help

My memory is that the separate Apollo set has more detail, but that there is basic info on the SV set.  I can check in a few days.  I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow night so give me a little time to sort out jet lag and email backlogs.

Regards

Tim

It’s here! My Saturn V Owner's Workshop Manual has been delivered.

Isn’t it great when something you are excited about arrives in the mail?  This is the first step in the direction I want my modeling interests to go.  I am in serious need of basic info that will allow me to ask you guys intelligent questions. I think this book will be a good start to that.

It's the best I've seen on the V.

When I was ordering it from Amazon, I also bought this -

il_570xN.927244073_681l.jpg

This book came out in 1969 just after Apollo 11 landed on the moon. I used to withdraw it out from my local library time and time again.Unfortunately, the version I got is missing the dust cover but the contents are, of course, exactly as I remembered.

14089572097.jpg3737196628_9e82828181_b.jpg

Edited by Eric Mc

There you go Eric, adding to my list.

I have only glanced through The SV book but I am excited.

In other news, it was a day of opposites. The thrill of receiving the book and also some disappointment. I found out that Brookhurst Hobbies (here in the US) from which I ordered 2 kits yesterday was only pretending to have them. Not nice of them. I am mentioning their name so others will know that they could possibly be following the practice of selling what they do not stock. After following a 1/96 SV on ebay and deciding that I would not pay that kind of money for it, I had decided to go a route similar to Tim. Yesterday I had ordered the Apollo 10 kit and since I was ordering threw in the Apollo 11 Eagle Lunar kit. The price was right and they were in stock (I foolishly believed). 

Am I wrong in saying that it is a very bad time to become a space modeler? To be sure I haven't looked at any 1/144 stuff but I cannot find a single kit of anything Apollo related in larger scales. It is very frustrating because I keep reading old posts that are filled with hope and joy over the new Dragon kits that are being produced. But those posts are from a few years ago. Surely Dragon will do another production run won't they? The only company that pays for their molds the on the first run is Wingnut Wings.  Do I just need to be patient for a few months? or year?

I have come to my senses. I have no business starting with the SV. Maybe by the time I have sufficient skills and knowledge there will be kits available. In the meantime I have ordered 3 kits from Horizon Models. The reviews are positive and the prices are good. 

I ordered the Horizon Mercury/Atlas and Mercury spacecraft kits back in December directly from Australia. They arrived within a week. I was impressed. Sadly, the post man delivered them the day it was announced John Glenn had died.

Regarding getting hold of Dragon kits - I've managed to get a few of them from traders at model shows. They can be quite pricey (in my opinion) but at shows you sometimes can get them at a discounted price.

Dragon kits do make up into nice renditions. Here's my Apollo-Soyuz and Gemini -

DSC_6888.JPG

DSC_2679.JPG

DSC_2678.JPG

Edited by Eric Mc

Nice work. I notice you solved the balance problem of the Apollo-Soyuz by shifting the stand to the Docking Module. I added an extension to the base to stop it toppling over as shown here.

Never got my hands on a Gemini.  :weep:

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Nice work. I notice you solved the balance problem of the Apollo-Soyuz by shifting the stand to the Docking Module. I added an extension to the base to stop it toppling over as shown here.

I simply drilled a hole in the docking adaptor and shifted the stand attachment point to that location. I also put a brass rod down the centre of the assembly to prevent any "sagging".

There was a very good article in Airfix Magazine which pointed out a number of improvements which could be made to the basic kit.

The Soyuz instructions were very poor, in my opinion.

On April 14, 2017 at 2:25 AM, Eric Mc said:

I ordered the Horizon Mercury/Atlas and Mercury spacecraft kits back in December directly from Australia. They arrived within a week. I was impressed. Sadly, the post man delivered them the day it was announced John Glenn had died.

I ordered directly from Horizon also. I got confirmation today so I will see how long it takes. I am in no hurry though.  Too much other stuff to work on at the moment, none of it related to modeling.

Regarding getting hold of Dragon kits - I've managed to get a few of them from traders at model shows. They can be quite pricey (in my opinion) but at shows you sometimes can get them at a discounted price.

No opportunities for me regarding model shows. I wish but I live in a sparsely populated state and without exception whatever my interests may be there aren't many around to share it. Not a complaint really, there are other advantages.

Dragon kits do make up into nice renditions. Here's my Apollo-Soyuz and Gemini -

Yes they do. Very nice job. I hope to one day have such nice models.

Edited by Exemplar Structor
Spelling

On 4/14/2017 at 5:17 AM, GordonD said:

Hi Gordon. I checked it out. Very nice.  It is great to see wonderful examples of the spacecraft I want to model one day.