1/48 FB-111A

gingerbob

Gosh just wait till they're a teen ager! Mine has just had his 21st!

I've got the Scale down wheels and they're noticeably bigger, well wider that the HB one's. I'll take a photo of the two and post them for you.

• Like 1

Drop tanks:

Aard%20tanks_zpsmfl8e4xv.jpg

The length lines should be accurate- I found stations in a General Dynamics structural breakdown.  From left to right:
  • nose point (aren't you glad that I told you?)
  • first joint, which begins the totally tubular section
  • second joint, end constant diameter section
  • (to the right of any tanks) aft point as should be
(the pencilled "fairing" points are where the shallow fixed mounting base is)

At the top is a tank salvaged from the scrapyard- a wee bit fatter (scale about 30" diam), which may actually be right (EDIT: comparing proportions to a near-profile view suggests 30" is about right- does anyone have a reliable dimension?)  All of the rest are about the same diameter.
The dark green tank is from Monogram's A-10
Light grey is Hobby Boss FB-111
Dark grey is Academy F-111
Bottom tank Monogram (?) Phantom

Notice how much "blunter" the Hobby Boss ends are compared to the others.  I'm tempted to work up a "master" of the right size (especially if I can nail down the diameter!) and either have a club member cast a few for me, or give it to Roy Sutherland, or both.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Notice how much "blunter" the Hobby Boss ends are compared to the others.  I'm tempted to work up a "master" of the right size (especially if I can nail down the diameter!) and either have a club member cast a few for me, or give it to Roy Sutherland, or both.

incredible that now body seems to get it right....

I 'd favor the last option somehow .....  

question: is there a difference between FB-111 tanks and lets say "normal" ones?

Edited by exdraken

I have got four left over tanks from the Academy EF-111A. I think I will try to lenghten them to the correct size.

By the way, can you measure the A-10 tank for me?! So I know the correct length (in milimeters please). Thanxs 

Cheers,

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice comparison Bob, but it would be useful to label which is which?

My "photoshop" skills aren't that developed, but I DID say which was which in the text:

The correct length of the actual tank is 299 inches (158.22mm in 1/48).  I'll have to look up the other points again.  EDIT: first join 103" from nose tip, second join 196".  "Mounting pad" leading edge at 126.65, trailing edge at 207.5

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

My "photoshop" skills aren't that developed, but I DID say which was which in the text:

The correct length of the actual tank is 299 inches (158.22mm in 1/48).  I'll have to look up the other points again.  EDIT: first join 103" from nose tip, second join 196".  "Mounting pad" leading edge at 126.65, trailing edge at 207.5

now you expect me to read as well! :D Anything more than 3 lines and I'm stuffed!

All I know now is I have to buy some tanks now from OzMods!  I wonder if they have a frequent buyers club??

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 7:57 AM, gingerbob said:

Figured I'd better do this before I conveniently forgot/ chickened out.  I'll have to go find the kits now- I've got a Hobby Boss and an Academy upstairs somewhere.  I'm planning on wings out, leading and trailing edges showing off, but if I get complacent (insanely ambitious) I might do the second one "all tucked in".  After all, if I don't do it now, I'll never do it.  No doubt a certain amount of parts swapping will be included, but I need to brush up on "where other people have boldly gone before"...

Oops, meant to say that it would be the 509th at Pease Air Force Base, back in the good old days when they were regularly flying overhead (I lived in Exeter then).  I think I need to go shopping for decals.

bob

Edit:  Step one completed surprisingly easily- I found the stuff!  Squadron canopy, Avionix cockpit set, and the two kits, all sealed virginally in plastic- but that's gonna change :Tasty:

DSCN6354_zpseayvwnb8.jpg

The keen-eyed among you- or those from the land of Oz- will notice that one of them is purportedly an F-111C.  It is my understanding that this is, for my purposes, pretty much the same as an FB-111A.  Enlightenment welcome, so long as you don't hold me accountable for choosing to look the other way should I deem it necessary!  (And yes, I am a rivet counter...)

The FB and the C model were very similar, but the C was actually an A model with FB wings and landing gear.  The hump in front of the windscreen on an FB wasn't a satellite nav system - this thing was designed between 1964 and 1967, before such things were available.  It was called an ASQ-119 Astrotracker, and it was essentially an analog computer controlled sextant that coupled to the Mark IIB inertial navigation platform.  No foolin', and I never saw one in nine years of working on them that actually worked worth spit.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...