Italeri 72nd F-8 Crusader, Philippine AF

160ybvc.jpg

This Italeri kit was completed some time back (ca. 2014. The kit was modified to represent Philippine Air Force F-8"H" by reworking the nose section (narrowed and sides straaightened) and radome- reduced ("H" had a smaller and straight lines radome) and added the vertical fin ECM. Scratch built the assymetrical pylons for the 2 pairs of "Sidewinders as well as the "RB", so are the MERs that slung the numbers of "bombs: (as seen on an actual photo of one of PhAF F-8H). Decal used is from locally made HARIBON Decals (and home printed).

205wrqs.jpg

6idtp2.jpg

2v0zomv.jpg

The model atop the home printed (commercialized) Haribon Decal

140dan6.jpg

The inspirations:

2pz0m7n.jpg

Thanks for viewing.. Regards..

TausugAir

(Farouk Tan

HARIBON Decals

Zamboanga City

Philippines

• Like 30

As mentioned above, certainly something different.

My compliments on the finished model. Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands.

Hi Farouk,

Nice work indeed on an interesting subject. I recently read about PhilAF intercepts of Soviet Tu-16s and got more interested in the Crusader's use in the Philippines.

Anyway a PhAF F-8 has been high on my wish list forever -where do I find Haribon decals?

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

Hi to all the above...Many, many thanks on the nice and kind words regarding the F-8H... Keep well,

Farouk

Hi Farouk:

Congratulations for this Wonderful buid, so wonderful to me that really deserves to be replicated!!!

Can you tell us how to obtain this DECAL SHEET from HARIBON DECALS???

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

On 4/1/2017 at 10:31 AM, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Farouk:

Congratulations for this Wonderful buid, so wonderful to me that really deserves to be replicated!!!

Can you tell us how to obtain this DECAL SHEET from HARIBON DECALS???

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

Hi Luis, many thanks for kind words and for the model an inspiration.... I sent you PM where to inquire for  the decal....

Jay, I also sent you PM for same subject... 

Regards 

Farouk

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 1:18 PM, tausugAir said:

Hi Luis, many thanks for kind words and for the model an inspiration.... I sent you PM where to inquire for  the decal....

Jay, I also sent you PM for same subject... 

Regards 

Farouk

Hi Farouk: 

Some moments ago I watched your PM and answered it, sorry for the delay, and thank you very much for your kindness and help

Cheers from Guatemala!!!

Luis Alfonso

1 hour ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Very nice build and I didn't  know the Philipine AF operated the F-8

Many thanks Knight_Flyer for nice words..... Not much is publicized on the type perhaps due to its (one of the) short service with thePhilippine Air Force.. Aug78 to 23Jan88 - roughly 10 years (per "Pictorial History of the Philippine Air Force, First 50 Years, Anido & Austria-Tomkins, 1997).  whereas French F-8 entered service in 1964 and soldiered until 1999....

Best regards..

Farouk

Great scheme! Well done Farouk! 

The end end of the F-8 in PhAF service makes sad reading. I've flown over the airfield where they finally died many a time.  It is only now, in 2017, that the PhAF is finally starting to replace them with meaningful aircraft.

8 hours ago, feifeitim said:

Great scheme! Well done Farouk! 

The end end of the F-8 in PhAF service makes sad reading. I've flown over the airfield where they finally died many a time.  It is only now, in 2017, that the PhAF is finally starting to replace them with meaningful aircraft.

Feifei, many thanks for kind words on the model...

Yes, it's one "sad reading" on the fate of F-8H in PhAF service... the acquisitioned of new air assets as replacement for same is a welcome solace and sign of a determined government policy...

Again, XIE-XIE.....and, Regards.

Farouk

Farouk!  Walang anuman!  But I'm English so no need for the Mandarin!  :giggle:

Was lucky enough to see one of the new FA-50PH jets at Clark a few weeks ago - looked really cool!  We flew over Basa AB on the way in - so sad to see a fantastic looking airfield with no aircraft on it.

Edited by feifeitim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, feifeitim said:

Farouk!  Walang anuman!  But I'm English so no need for the Mandarin!  :giggle:

Was lucky enough to see one of the new FA-50PH jets at Clark a few weeks ago - looked really cool!  We flew over Basa AB on the way in - so sad to see a fantastic looking airfield with no aircraft on it.

Hi... Just a play of words on that Mandarin:wink:.... Salamat (mag-Shukur) you understood... 

The FA-50PH received its proverbial "baptism of fire" last month when it perform air strike on terrorists lair in southern Philippine island of Mindanao.. I hope it proved its worth to skepticism of local "aviationists"... I agree with your observation on Basa Air Base, erstwhile, home of the PhAF 8th FSqn F-8H as well as of other three FSqns (among these the 9th FS that went to Congo in 1962 as one of UN air arms in support of anti-MauMau rebellion)... A "Fighter Town", one could say, that previous government administration envisaged of turning into a tourist spot!!!... I am hoping to believe the present administration have a changed of heart.... 

By the way that's a beautiful Filipino (Tagalog) word... MABUHAY....

Farouk

Nice Crusader and interesting markings scheme. I especially like the extended flaps and slats. Think you cut them out by yourself? Have the Esci kit in the stash, which I think is the same as Italeri.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mario said:

Nice Crusader and interesting markings scheme. I especially like the extended flaps and slats. Think you cut them out by yourself? Have the Esci kit in the stash, which I think is the same as Italeri.

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

Will be nice if you can share ESCI sprues with me to check if has some differences with the Italeri, ACE and Hasegawa. I'll be very grateful as have always the doubt about that but the nice kit was at its time and is now so ellusive to me... :)

Cheers!!!

Nephew Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

Will be nice if you can share ESCI sprues with me to check if has some differences with the Italeri, ACE and Hasegawa. I'll be very grateful as have always the doubt about that but the nice kit was at its time and is now so ellusive to me... :)

Cheers!!!

Nephew Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

No problem, but I think we have already discussed this topic and I have dived for the Esci kit to show you. But would be a pleasure do do a second time if necessary!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

No problem, but I think we have already discussed this topic and I have dived for the Esci kit to show you. But would be a pleasure do do a second time if necessary!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

I remember we reviewed the Ace, Italeri and Revell, but think the ESCI was pending, so will check in our conversation and if find something will tell you. 

Cheers,

Nephew Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mario said:

Cheers,

Mario

Many thanks,Mario, on those nice words!!! Yes, I cut those flaps: when the wing is raised the trailing edge (T.E.) flaps and the leading edge (L.E.) slat drooped... Of the T.E., the outer one droops a little bit more than the inner one.... this detail was pointed out to me by a fellow modeler (Tom Weiner) who flew the actual  first hand aircraft modeled above....he also supplied other details (e.g., the asymetrical sidewinder racks..).... I don't know about the ESCI F-8 kit but the most characteristic feature that needed to be attended to is the nose portion (ovalish sectioned radome rather than round and vertically straight external wall of the cockpit) This is true to an F-8H....

Again, much thanks!

Farouk

Edited by tausugAir

13 hours ago, tausugAir said:

Many thanks,Mario, on those nice words!!! Yes, I cut those flaps: when the wing is raised the trailing edge (T.E.) flaps and the leading edge (L.E.) slat drooped... Of the T.E., the outer one droops a little bit more than the inner one.... this detail was pointed out to me by a fellow modeler (Tom Weiner) who flew the actual  first hand aircraft modeled above....he also supplied other details (e.g., the asymetrical sidewinder racks..).... I don't know about the ESCI F-8 kit but the most characteristic feature that needed to be attended to is the nose portion (ovalish sectioned radome rather than round and vertically straight external wall of the cockpit) This is true to an F-8H....

Again, much thanks!

Farouk

Thank you Farouk for your kind reply!

In my eyes the raised wing makes the look of a Crusader much more interesting than the usual in-flight position. Have planed to do the same with my Esci kit as it has no separate slats and only flaps in one piece. I knew about the different position of the flaps and the asymetrical shape of the missle racks because of the starboard RAM generator. Only the re-shaping of the nose surprised me as I thought Philippine Crusaders had the usual shape.

Cheers,

Mario

16 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

I remember we reviewed the Ace, Italeri and Revell, but think the ESCI was pending, so will check in our conversation and if find something will tell you. 

Cheers,

Nephew Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

I know your evil intension - make me dive into the stash and distract me from my current project;)

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Thank you Farouk for your kind reply!

In my eyes the raised wing makes the look of a Crusader much more interesting than the usual in-flight position. Have planed to do the same with my Esci kit as it has no separate slats and only flaps in one piece. I knew about the different position of the flaps and the asymetrical shape of the missle racks because of the starboard RAM generator. Only the re-shaping of the nose surprised me as I thought Philippine Crusaders had the usual shape.

Cheers,

Mario

Hi, Mario :

When I contemplated on taking the build of a Crusader I had entertained the same thought (like you) regarding the nose until a stateside modeler friend pointed this out...furthermore, reference I have suggests that the F-8H was a reconfigured F-8D/(F8U-2N) from F8U-2/(F-8C/F-8K) from F8U-1E/(F-8B/F-8L) which started the small, flattish/ovalish radome. . . F8U-2NE/(F-8E) sported the bulbous radome that continue to the F-8J (my observation, here)...below are images of the radome shape in both PhAF & US Navy F-8H:

nose%20collage%20PhAF-USN-h20marked.jpg

Of less obvious visual notes (modeling wise, I guess) the F-8H and the F-8J share the same Instrument Panel layout and the Dual Stick Grip configurations. . . The seat is retrofitted/(upgraded?)M-B Mk F7 from production installed M-B Mk F5....

I look forward to seeing your ESCI kit in F-8H configurations and more power to the build.... Keep well

Best regards..

Farouk

• Like 2