New Airfix B17G 351st BS/ 100th BG RAF Thorpes Abbott 1945

On 4/3/2017 at 19:32, Honeybee said:

Wobblyhands, the glazing is clear and what is in the nose is sufficient for me, the desk, 2 chairs, bombing computer, norden bomb sight, ammo box and the controls for the chin turret plus 2 50 cals. If you scratch built every piece of equipment in the nose of a B17 and put it in this kit you'd not see much of it so go with the kit bits and save a few bob. Or is that just me being a tight Yorkshire man,

Regards

Paul

Thank you :)  been living up North now for 20 years drinking Yorkshire Tea .. my outlook is becoming more 'Yorkshire style' every day , might just get the exterior kit ;) when the time comes

On 1.4.2017 at 9:59 PM, RJ-WobblyHands said:

very nice  :yes: the B-17 is a thing of beauty (tho any 4 prop heavie makes me grin) , trying to keep my airfix one for the b-17 group build next year  - means I have to buy more models hehehe

Quick question how much of the cockpit / forward interior is visible through the glazing -  I am contemplating those eduard interior additions :idea: , to go with 1 or more of the exterior sets 

I just finished the kit too and used quite a lot of eduard/Brassin stuff on it. I must say of all the interior sets the only one that really makes sense in terms of visibility is the "forward interior". Some of it can be seen through the nose glazing. All other interior sets need a kind of cutaway fuselage to be of any use.

I can recommend the exterior set - for example the frames for the supercharger air intakes (wing leading edges) are a real improvement.

By the way - I fitted in the ball turret just prior to installing the landing gear; it needed a bit of force but then snapped into positon nicely.

I hardly ever use them, but for the B-17 I had eduard's masking sheet as well. Very useful for all the small and tiny windows.

Such is the case in all B-17 kits.

One must make cutaways if any of the effort can be visible on a finished model.

Bombsight, controls for the chin turret, ammo box and bombarier's seat are visible in the nose and pilot seats in the cockpit.

The rest can be painted black;-)

• Like 1