New Airfix B17G 351st BS/ 100th BG RAF Thorpes Abbott 1945

Hi Guys

I have built this kit straight from the box with absolutely no extra parts from anywhere and can say without hesitation this is a great kit to build, unless you're me and you prefer doing it your own way and not the Airfix way. There is only one bit of  the kit I decided to do my way and I'm saying don't do it. The belly turret cannot be fitted after assembly and painting is complete. my mistake. Won't do it again. Other than that there is nothing much to say. The fit of the parts is excellent, the wheel bays look really complicated in the instructions but aren't, same with the engines. It took me only 4 weeks to complete which for me is fast, there is only a little issue with the painting instructions where they indicate the prop hubs might be Green or Blue, A two second search on the internet for 100th BG says they're Green. Model painted with faded Drab for the tail and anti glare panels on the engines, the bands and rudder are Revell Anthrecite, the main silver is Halfords Aluminium with some panels painted Revell Silver (90) which gives a different tone, could have gone further but did this after the decals were on. The Green is Humbrol 131 from an old tin I got at Doncaster Aeroventure last month. I don't think I like the glazing panels for the nose area but then again I didn't fill and sand so that's what they look like on the kit, next one I'll do a proper job. I'm musing building a B17G1 which uses the F style glazing and and am hoping the Revell F will fit the Airfix G, although I suppose I could just use the Revell G and swap them as the F I intend to build has the cheek blisters. Anyway, on to piccies,

20170329_133235_zpsryg7kvlb.jpg

20170329_132553_zpsdiney7nf.jpg

20170329_132539_zpsvnikwjvk.jpg

20170329_132514_zpsrqenpnbn.jpg

20170329_132501_zpsq6bhcgdk.jpg

20170329_132440_zpstzblxvqy.jpg

20170329_132351_zpsx1pe373c.jpg

20170329_132410_zpsa8tqsga9.jpg

20170329_132340_zpsiihpb2uy.jpg

20170329_132317_zpsdyvkuxbu.jpg

20170329_132258_zpsrbjp9s4i.jpg

Regards

Paul

• Like 57

Superb mate. I read in Flypast yeasterday that Tom Hanks is making a 10 part to series based on 100grp at Thorpe Abbot along the same vein as Band of Brothers. Can't wait.

lovely finish on this :)

• Like 1

How did you get the faded olive drab please Paul?

Just at the painting stage of Airfix's lovely looking(bit of a mare to build)C-47 Skytrain.

I'm doing it as an RAF Dak.IV in early 1946 still in it's wartime colours that is really worn,faded and stained,so any tips would be good.

The Fort.looks a treat.

Edited by Miggers

Lovely job. Thorpe Abbotts is only a few miles away from my dad's house so we occasionally go there to look round the museum they have in the nissen huts and control tower. Nice to see something built that's local to me!

very nice  :yes: the B-17 is a thing of beauty (tho any 4 prop heavie makes me grin) , trying to keep my airfix one for the b-17 group build next year  - means I have to buy more models hehehe

Quick question how much of the cockpit / forward interior is visible through the glazing -  I am contemplating those eduard interior additions :idea: , to go with 1 or more of the exterior sets 

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands

On 29 March 2017 at 8:45 PM, WildeSau75 said:

Wow - an impressive build of the Queen of the skies.

Cheers,

Michael

S'funny: I can't see a VC-10 anywhere!

I must finish my Airfix B-17 though; not my usual bag and I want to get the 100 Group boxing when it comes out.  It's a fine kit.

Miggers, the faded drab is from an Xtracrylic bottle and comes just like it is in the piccie.

Wobblyhands, the glazing is clear and what is in the nose is sufficient for me, the desk, 2 chairs, bombing computer, norden bomb sight, ammo box and the controls for the chin turret plus 2 50 cals. If you scratch built every piece of equipment in the nose of a B17 and put it in this kit you'd not see much of it so go with the kit bits and save a few bob. Or is that just me being a tight Yorkshire man,

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

That is one really nice B-17.  Great stuff!

I have built Hasegawa's B-17F (a rather better kit than you might expect, even though it dates back awhile) and have the Academy B-17G in wait.  I really thought B-17's would be out of my system, but all these new kits really whet the appetite to build more! :shrug:

Great job on your Airfix version! B)

Every B-17 model finished is a reason for celebration. There are so few of them:-( and almost no new Airfix ones which is odd.

Oddly enough (or not) I don't find that kit to be much of an improvement over Revell's or in other words, it could have been so much better.

I made a considerable effort to rectify tne numerous flaws that Revell made on their B-17 and am convinced that my model is now much better and accurate than Airfix OOB.

Those that are interested can find it in the gallery.

Josip

On 30/03/2017 at 21:17, woody37 said:

Superb mate. I read in Flypast yeasterday that Tom Hanks is making a 10 part to series based on 100grp at Thorpe Abbot along the same vein as Band of Brothers. Can't wait.

lovely finish on this :)

Yes, it's called The Mighty Eighth, have seen a trailer and it looks amazing. Due to be aired sometime this year.

• Like 1