Dragon's 1/72 Pz IVD - has anyone seen the tracks?

Robby

I'm sorry to hear that as it's not a cheap kit either. Was it the running gear that couldn't be glued? Wm Blecky wrote above that the running gear did not appear to be made out of hard plastic.

Robby

I wrote to Dragon to ask them about the new releases and their response was, in a nut shell, that they appreciated my feedback but were trying to get in to the beginner market. Fair enough and I hope it works out for them so that they can develop some more difficult kits in braille scale :thumbsup:

This said, I will be most displeased if some of the re-releases (?) are without the 'normal' running gear, as I missed them all first time round :hmmm:

Robby

Where have you lot been.....You were all warned about Dragon's new Braille output at least a year ago!  :lol:

The track units are worse than you imagine, yes they are single piece, but they are also moulded in DS-100.....Yup, Dragon give you soft, squishy road-wheels, sprockets & idlers all moulded from a materiel that is well known for crumbling to dust after a year or two.  Dragon have officially lost the plot, their reasoning being that 'Girls und Panzer' will make them more money than serious modellers.  I kid you not.  :mellow:

If you want a decent 1/72 model of an early Ausf Pz.IV, you are going to be kitbashing.....End of.  :nerd:

• Like 2

On 2017-5-28 at 6:08 PM, Robby said:

I'm sorry to hear that as it's not a cheap kit either. Was it the running gear that couldn't be glued? Wm Blecky wrote above that the running gear did not appear to be made out of hard plastic.

Robby

Hi Robby,  yes it's the soft flexible plastic they have used, takes you back to Airfix figures!

Can't work out the rationale for Dragon doing this as he will not buy any more kits that have this type included.

Neil

Oh how I wish I had read this thread before forking out for both the IVD and the new STuG!

So disappointed, almost binned them both. The drop in quality from Dragon in 1/72 is astounding and looks and feels like a money saving exercise rather than trying to entice new modellers.

Gone is the good quality box, for a more squishy revell-like box. Gone are the high quality colour instructions, replaced by two tone instructions on distinctly cheaper paper. Gone are the multiple decal options with only two available now. The gun barrel on the STuG doesn't even have the muzzle break drilled out! These new integral road wheels and tracks are nothing like the real thing and lack any detail on the insides of the tracks! Even the plastic itself is glossier and more brittle and feels like the kind you would get from a really old kit by Ace.

How is any of that going to draw in new modellers when for half the price in you could get a better beginner kit that is better quality and has more options like Ace's current Centurions, Heller's Sherman, Attack's early panzers etc!

Dragon, for me, was the gold standard for 1/72 armour, but given this (if it continues) they'll be living on reputation alone and that won't last long at all.

Sorry had to rant, just so annoyed at how bad these two kits are and yet are marketed and cost exactly like the quality kits they used to produce!

• Like 1

Ranting is justified when faced with the prospect of binning two Dragon kits... 😢

I wonder whether Dragon's people read these forums? I am going to be really interested to see if the original running gear is included in the August releases of previously available kits (if indeed they are straight re-releases or otherwise), or if the running gear has gone the 'soft and squidgy' route. AFAIK, sticking an extra sprue in the box doesn't cost the earth as the mold already exists.

I'm going to hope for the best...

Edited by Robby

Well fellas, between that conversion set I mentioned previously, OKB is slowly but surely coming to our rescue to salvage Dragon's HUGELY disappointing  kit:

product_1026.jpg

Panzer IV Ausf.A-D road wheels (these are a new item)

product_1025.jpg

Panzer IV Ausf F-G sprockets (not quite Ausf.D, but there is now hope!)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that more sets are soon to follow!

Just as an additional comment, if you have not picked up any of OKB's sets, do yourself a favour and grab a few, they are absolutely amazing!  It's money more than well spent.

• Like 1

I meant to also say that I am quite jazzed to see the Panzer IV Ausf E-J sets as I can use them to fix up my Hasegawa Ausf.F kits (since Dragon has not re-released theirs... yet???).

Maybe a decent Pz IV D will be making an appearance soon - with the help of Moxing Studio and OKB, together with a turned barrel. It will be a bit pricy, but it will look great when it is finished, even for someone of my modest abilities!

I've seen some of the OKB upgrades and they do look very, very good - and I suppose I would been tempted to go with resin tracks and a turned barrel anyway... so...

• 3 months later...

If you have bought the Dragon Pz.IVD it's worth keeping an eye open for the Hobbyboss 1/72 Munitionspanzer Ausf D on special offer, you can often find this kit for a significantly cheaper price than a set of aftermarket running gear.  The kit's running gear is very good and while the tracks are vinyl bands they are some of the best examples of the type and will glue perfectly with CA if you don't paint them first. 

Don't touch any Dragon 1/72 Pz.IV kits other than their Ausf. F1, F2 & G (#7321, #7359 & #7278) which are all superb.....Other than those three they are pants.  Revell do a better Ausf H plus a dodgy Ausf J and Mirage cover all the rest (in somewhat iffy fashion).

If anyone with the new StuG is truly desperate, shoot me a PM, I can offer limited help.  :coolio:

I really do find it strange that we don't have a mainstream, new-tool Pz IV apart from the three Dragon efforts that seem to be being replaced by quickbuild releases. Having examined the stash, I think that it might be a good idea to wait until someone brings one out.

Speaking of which, I've actually just bought the HB munitionspanzer but it is reserved for a diorama with the HB Mörser Karl and Rail transport, and the BR52 that I have just sneaked into the house :smirk: Here's hoping that Modelcollect release their promised SSWS rail tank transporter, or that HB shrink Trumpeter's railway wagons to 1/72...

On 9/10/2017 at 4:56 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Don't touch any Dragon 1/72 Pz.IV kits other than their Ausf. F1, F2 & G (#7321, #7359 & #7278) which are all superb.....Other than those three they are pants.  Revell do a better Ausf H plus a dodgy Ausf J and Mirage cover all the rest (in somewhat iffy fashion).

What's wrong with their Ausf.H kit?

Apart from the price, it's a clunky simplified version compared to the Pz.IV kits they released prior to it.....Dragon could have made a kit to the same standard as the kits I listed earlier, but they chose to simplify the parts and messed it up (plus they upped the price again).  The single advantage their kit has over the much cheaper Revell offering is accurate track pitch, the Dragon kit on the other hand lacks the filzbalgfilter fited to each and every Pz.IV Ausf H.

PS - Almost forgot.....Modelcollect have announced a 1/72 Pz.IV Ausf H, scroll to kit #UA72078  on this page of Henk's site:  http://henk.fox3000.com/modelcollect.htm

So let me get this straight... the old Dragon F1, F2 and G are great but soon will OOP and to be replaced by pants, Revell do a good H but the J is not quite up to par and Mirage do the early ausf's but are challenging? Given the widespread use of the Pz IV, this seems to be odd :wonder:

Model Collect have announced a Pz IVH, a Tiger and the flatbed wagon (not to mention a flaktower), all of which I doubt will see the light of day, unfortunately. Paper panzers, the Ratte and this weird, sci-fi 'Fist of War' seem to be keeping them in business at the moment...

• Like 1

Revell's J is a decent kit, but you can only really build a very, very early Ausf J with some Ausf H features.....Bringing it up to scratch requires better exhausts, some modifications to the front hull towing points and turret, plus finding some Thoma Schurzen.

There are some other issues with the Mirage Pz.IV kits, the layout of the front hull is not quite what it should be (IIRC).

On 9/19/2017 at 10:15 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

...Bringing it up to scratch requires better exhausts, some modifications to the front hull towing points and turret, plus finding some Thoma Schurzen.

Part does a photoetch set for those, just be sure you get the set for the Revell kit and not the set for the Fujimi kit. ;)

• Thanks 1

Do you have any images of what they have done to it? 

It was a beautiful kit, I have three or four of them in the stash and a similar number of Ausf G (no Ausf F2s sadly though). 

PS - Just found one of my earlier comments regarding the original subject:

On 28/01/2017 at 4:22 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

These two were released at a time when 'newer' still meant 'better' in terms of Dragon's output.....This categorically is not the case now, their new kits are getting worse and more expensive by the day.  When their new Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf D hits the shops anyone foolish enough to buy it is going to be in for a really rude awakening and get to see a very clear example of Dragon's current attitude to their Braille customers.  :fuyou_2:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any images apart from what Dragon has on their own website, but suffice to say that this is all you need to look at. I've been watching how Dragon market their new releases and I've noticed that the first releases emphasised the advantages of the new type of track and simplified (and fewer) parts, subsequent releases mentioned that the tracks are one piece without really emphasising it, and now with the latest two releases - a Sherman and Wittman's Tiger - there is no mention of how the kit parts are broken down. I wonder if Dragon have got the message and are playing down the QB nature of the kits due to absent sales, or whether the latest releases are in fact straight re-releases of the original kits...?

• 3 months later...

Whoa... that look remarkably like a 1990's short run kit... :gobsmacked:

On a good day that's not far off a Revell IVH with OKB resin tracks and a turned barrel...

Robby, having just purchased a Revell IVH and OKB resin tracks :D

• Like 1

Worse, Dragon is bastardizing several re-releases of older kits that were perfectly (well at least far better that what they are now) fine:

original 1/72 Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.F1:

B_DRA7321_00.jpg

re-released version:

01.jpg

original Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H:

02.jpg

re-released Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H:

02.jpg

These garbage road wheels and tracks are also found in all their newer StuG releases as well combined with the simplistic approach Dragon has taken with them and the Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.D kit is an absolute let down.  Looks like Trumpeter will be the only viable way to go for early StuG variants.  As for Panzer IVs, eBay and hope you can find them at a reasonable price... ohhh how the "mighty" have come crashing down.

I would lay odds that as Dragon re-releases several older kits, we will see this mutilated running gear on each and everyone.  Not at all impressed.

• Sad 1

As Robby has already done, OKB resin tracks and running gear will be about the only way to salvage these re-releases that or to just support companies like Revell who have God's good common sense to not mess with what works.

• Like 2

I've tried OKB's tracks on three different kits (2x Revell Pz III and Hobby Boss' munitionspanzer IV) and I have to say that they are worth the price. One thing that I will try (and report back if anyone is interested :coolio:) is to get the sprockets from OKB as well, I had to chop a few teeth off of the Revell kit sprockets in order to get a good fit. With Revell gradually bringing out all of MACO's kits, my support for them is guaranteed.

Back to Dragon: I hope that they haven't screwed up the original moulds...