Dragon's 1/72 Pz IVD - has anyone seen the tracks?

Robby

Hi all,

Has anyone seen the running gear for Dragon's new tool 1/72 Panzer IVD and can tell me what they are like? Apparently the tracks are slide molded together with the road wheels and whilst I'm sorely tempted by the kit, I'm not sure about the 'all-in-one' running gear...

Best, Robby

Robby, I've seen pictures of the kit's parts and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  After so looking forward to it, I am highly disappointed with this release from Dragon (and judging from pictures of their StuG Ausf.F, same thing).  This kit looks like it came from some third rate kit manufacturer.  The running gear assembly, aside from being a one piece deal, does not look to be made from a hard plastic:

09.jpg

11.jpg

Pictures of the assembled kit are even less flattering:

14.jpg

The kit lacks any of the detail of what I have come to expect from Dragon.  Look at the turret, terrible.  If you have Dragon's Panzer IV. Ausf.F1 kit (similar turret and gun assembly), we are talking night and day...

03.jpg

This "new" kit from Dragon looks like it was farmed out to StarFix or some other such company.  Dragon USA had it on sale for $10 US recently and I passed.  A very big let down - for me anyways.  You might as well go with the Mirage kit or just save your money for when someone gives us a far better kit.

• Like 1

I'll add, that I would be far more inclined to get Hasegawa's Panzer IV Ausf.F1 kit and tackle backdating it using the munitionspanzer upper deck that comes with that kit.  I believe that the results would be far more satisfactory.

• Like 1

Hi Wm, thanks for your reply - you have convinced me. I was concerned and those concerns have been re-enforced by the images you posted. I was rather hoping, like you, for a new-tool, highly detailed, early war panzer IV. I think I'll save my money for the time being. Maybe I should look at Maco's Luchs instead...

Thanks again,

Robby

11 hours ago, Robby said:

Hi Wm, thanks for your reply - you have convinced me. I was concerned and those concerns have been re-enforced by the images you posted. I was rather hoping, like you, for a new-tool, highly detailed, early war panzer IV. I think I'll save my money for the time being. Maybe I should look at Maco's Luchs instead...

Thanks again,

Robby

No problem Robby.  BTW, you will really like MACO's Luchs kit - picked up 2 of them myself!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robby said:

Hi Steve, dogsbody,

Try right-clicking on the '?' and opening the .jpg image in a new window, it works on my mac.

Best regards, Robby

Hi Robby, trying to view on phone & when trying to open in new tab just get a forbidden message. :(

Steve.

8 hours ago, Robby said:

Hi Steve, dogsbody,

Try right-clicking on the '?' and opening the .jpg image in a new window, it works on my mac.

Best regards, Robby

I see no " ? " to right-click on. All I see is a small black box with a white X in it.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

Not sure why the images are not working, I can see them on my computer.  Here is the link to the Dragon Panzer IV pictures.  You will have to scroll down to the bottom of the page, the Ausf.D is kit #7530.  The Ausf.F1 is about mid-way on the page, kit #7321.  Hope it helps.

• Like 1

The phrase chocolate teapot springs to mind, a bit saggy & soft looking, not that I'm an armour buff, more of an interested bystander. :)

Interestingly, the photos I opened on the Henk website now show on my phone in this thread. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 1

Chocolate teapot - good one! :D

The miracles of modern technology never cease to amaze me, both with regard to computers and molding. Sometimes unbelievable, sometimes soft and saggy...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did think of the Mirage kit, but I was worried that with my modest skills I'd make a hash of it... A Dragon kit just seems to be a more straightforward build!

• Like 1

Here is a build of the Mirage kit.  After reading it, I had decided to skip it.  While I was looking towards Dragon's release, after seeing the mess they made of it, I skipped it as well.  Truly was quite disappointed with this release from Dragon.  The thing they released is not what I had come to expect from them.  Almost looks like they allowed some lesser company to produce it and then marketed it under the Dragon label.  Cracks me up when Dragon's marketing team tries to promote the garbage they call tracks and running gear... "we did this for you the model builder, made it a one piece affair so it will be easier to build", funny, I never asked for or have even read of any modelers asking for such a thing.

Bottom line, Dragon did not do a very good job with this one (same goes for their StuG III Ausf.F - at least there is the Trumpeter release for that).

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 1

Thanks for the Mirage build link - I agree that it is rather odd that Dragon would release something that is below their normal high standard. I wonder what they have in store for us next...?

I came across a conversion set for the Dragon kit, Moxing Studio.  It's a big improvement for the Dragon kit, unfortunately, it does not address the horrendous running gear.  Tracks could be had from OKB (their work is spectacular!).  Hopefully they will eventually release a set of early Panzer IV running gear.  It would be a pricey proposition, but you would end up with an amazing Panzer IV D.  About the only other thing one would need would be the turret front and gun barrel assembly from Dragon's Panzer IV Ausf.F1 kit.

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 1

Well found :)

I will watch the space with interest... who knows, maybe someone has plans for a modern A-E model, I think that there's enough space on the market for an injected kit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robby said:

Well found :)

I will watch the space with interest... who knows, maybe someone has plans for a modern A-E model, I think that there's enough space on the market for an injected kit.

Agreed!

Hmm, I've just received the list of Dragon's August releases and they seem to be releasing some of the older kits again. I do hope that Dragon is not going to continue the 'one piece' trend as there are at least four kits in their August releases that I will buy IF the tracks and wheels are separate, but none if they are in one piece. The ironic thing is that one-piece tracks are marketed in their 'armour pro' line. I'm not sure why Dragon is releasing wargaming kits at standard kit prices, either.

Robby, aka Mr Not-Very-Happy

Edited by Robby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, junco said:

Just had a text from a mate who bought one at the Milton Keynes show, he has just given up and binned it!!

Neil

Would this be the Pz IVD? That bad, eh..?