D-H Hornet, WB898, 45 Squadron

Hi,

Here is my attempt at a Frog D-H Hornet serial WB898 from 45 Squadron based at RAF Tengah in January 1953 during the Malayan Emergency.

Although the model was very basic to say the least, it was a fun build, the fit was very good indeed and if you can ignore the raised panel lines it is a good representation of the Hornet. 

Hornet1_zpsrvumxje7.jpg

Hornet_zpsltrs42wx.jpg

Hornet%202_zpscazgnc47.jpg

Hornet3_zpsfhdbxpsg.jpg

Hornet4_zpsfbgjdv5t.jpg

Hornet5_zpsakzrqr0f.jpg

Hornet6_zpsu1kfdczf.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Russ

• Like 12

Cheers, I put the Wellesley in only because it was also 45 Squadron.

I forgot to say that the decals were from the spares box and the inspiration and photos came from W/Cdr. C. G. Jeffords excellent book 'The Flying Camels'

Ye olde Frog Hornet isn't a bad basis for a decent model. I've got quite a few salted away, both Frog and Novo, not to mention all the part started ones...

I redid a Novo one some years back as an F1 and quite a few people were surprised it was the Frog kit.  It featured in a article in SAM in April 2002.  It now resides with author Tony Buttler.

All you really need is a bit of plastic card and some rescribing and you're basically there.  The cockpit just needs a seat attaching to the bulkhead.  Wheels replace with Tempest ones and try getting an Aeroclub Vampire nosegear for the tailwheel.

If you can, bring it along to IPMS Tyneside's Monday meet, April 3rd.  St John's Church Hall at the bottom of Grainger Street.

Edited by The Wooksta!
  • Like 1

Thanks Wooksta!, I did do a little internal work on the cockpit.... you can just see it if you look hard enough and it does pep up an otherwise extremely sparce cockpit.

All I generally do in the cockpit is fit a shelf behind the pilot's bulkhead and add a few squares of plastic card to represent the ammunition tanks.  Cut the kit's "pilot's bench" back to just before the locator pin for the bulkhead and add a seat to the bulkhead.  I've a mould somewhere for the Skybirds Hornet seat IIRC.  Generally, once it's all painted black you can see very little anyway.

• Like 1