Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2 - #2

Hi everyone

Yes, I know there is already a QM2 build on the go, but it was because of that one and the AMAZING Johnny Akes build that I HAD to *find and build one of my own - *which was not an easy task BTW

The QM2 is such a beautiful looking ship for a floating hotel and the more I research her, the more I like her. I know that sounds suspiciously like I am Fake Book stalking a girl, but I promise it's not like that....:whistle:

I have bought the GMM PE set and the Artwox deck set - both of which are here in front of me. HOWEVER,  I somehow managed to buy a second PE set by accident - in the same order. I have no idea how I didn't notice that but I didn't. So:.....The spare set is now up for sale if anyone wants it? (shameless plug)

I am also going to light this sucker up using the 5m Warm White LED strip that I got in the mail on Monday (thank you for that awesome suggestion Warren!!!! You are the man!) and also the implementation of many various coloured SMD's and Fiber Optics.

I have seen a few lit QM2's on the net and they are very nice, but I hope to avoid making the same mistake a couple of them seemed to have made which is to use those massive 3mm LED's on the OUTSIDE of the ship (it looks terrible when the lights are out).

So, a little bit abut the actual kit for those who have never heard of it until now (like me 4 weeks ago). It is a massive but beautiful beast made by Revell (kit #05223) that is sadly now out of production. My copy has a fair amount of flash on it, but nothing a file won't fix. There is a LOT to do on it but I do believe that the end result will be so worth it.

It measures out to be an impressive 85cm long and has all the necessary details to make a decent replica of the QM2. There is a noticeable lack of windows behind the upper and lower decks but this is nothing some clear plastic sheet won't cure. I am intending on cutting some clear sheet up and spray it flat clear to help disperse the LED lighting behind it. It will also help to stop it looking like a void behind the spaces.

So that's it for now - I'm sorry I haven't posted any pictures, but I promise I will do this once I get home from work and it's not dark outside (ie, Saturday)

As always, thanks for stopping in!

Regards,

Si

Edited by Madhatter

On 4/3/2017 at 2:09 PM, Jockster said:

Groovy Hatter, great kit. Where's the like button gone!?

I was looking for that too!

Can't wait to see the beginning, Mad Hatter!

Edited by Thom216

• 1 month later...

Good plan. Think the internal surfaces require a coat of black paint - the white plastic is quite thin and tends to bleed the light source through, even from a diffused one. I bought the same type of strip - but it has a wee remote controller RF unit that can switch the LED strip on & off - and with brightness control :-) Why bother with individual LED'S - maybe for nav. lights, but certainly not for the cabins, etc.

May see if I can find a link, bought for peanuts on bay or Amazon.

Can't find the identical one, but this would do the same job http://amzn.eu/3LZ3vtD  £5.49 for TWIN pack!

41Ynb632BbL.jpg

Neater than my version (not available)

41CvxtupVSL.jpg

Edited by clipper
addition
  • Like 1