Vintage (old) Modellers-- help tips for oldies

LaurieS

I was going to say I am getting old but then found I am. This brings about some changes

finger ends not as sensitive eyes not as good and arms not as steady as they were.

Here are a few of my concoctions to get around the above-- a bit.

Please join in with your tips. I do not want to give up due to these things and any help

is appreciated.

1. Eyes. I got my optician to make up a closer pair of lens which has been a great boon.

Also use a pair of Loups ie over the head things with changeable lense in real optical glass

Watch out there  are some cumbersome and heavy. Mine are these they look

unfashionable but are well made light and as they are metal have small frames.

http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/High-Grade-Headband-Magnifier-non-flipup.html

2. Also to hold some things with tweezers is not always successful. Some one on another forum

said he used forceps which are more sturdy and thumb and finger give control rather than finger tips.

Very cheap as this Ebay and Amazon

They have a serrated points which give better holding power. They clip when pulled tight. I filed this

away to avoid having to unclip. Various sizes and some with the prongs at an angle.

Bit expensive at £1:39 & free delivery !!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instrapac-7888-Halstead-Mosquito-Straight/dp/B018GXTIU0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1490776807&sr=8-10&keywords=forceps

I have more but give some one else a chance with any methods help etc.

Laurie

• Like 2

I've got arthritic fingers so I'm looking at larger scale, older or less detailed kits just to carry on with the enjoyment of it and not worrying about minute PE etc. I've got my own built in forceps as sometimes my fingers start to seize up. The down side is sometimes my grip fails with disastrous results.

To paint smaller parts I occasionally use a golf ball size of Blu-tak (other tacky things are available) tapered to a smaller point so to speak. A bit like a pear shape. This has the benefit of giving something easier to hold in the hand whilst the part is attached to the 'tip' of the pear shape.

• Like 2

Probably stating "the bleedin' obvious", but I've found that resting both elbows on the desk when I'm doing something that requires fine control minimises shakes1, likewise when brush painting resting my hand/wrist on a firm support helps a great deal. 

+1 for the Haemostat (artery forceps) as recommended by LaurieS.  I inherited mine from my Grandad getting on for 40 years ago; he used to use them for tying flies. I've used them for all sorts of fine work ever since including electronics (make great heatsinks).  I'd recommend them to any modeller regardless of age.

1Shakes are a newish and unwelcome thing for me.

• Like 1

I don't think that these things should really be thought of as 'for the older modeller'. They should really be essentials simply for 'the modeller'. There is no point straining your eyes to see the tiny details or trying to get those sausage fingers around the tiny parts. You don't see young surgeons or dentists trying to do fine delicate operations with fingers only and no magnification. Having said that, I myself am starting to grow old and reading glasses plus magnifier are a major part of my tool kit plus a good bright light (Bright light (preferably moveable) is essential). I would like to find myself some sort of reasonably soft surfaced gripping 'third hand' for holding parts. I think that three adjustable 'fingers' with a soft rubber coating and reasonably fine points mounted on a base which clamps to the workbench/table would be a good start if there are any toolmakers out there, I would have a go myself but I have no access to the neccessary materials and equipment. I also keep meaning to find/or make some form of anvil to aid in cutting parts off the sprue.

7 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I don't think that these things should really be thought of as 'for the older modeller'. They should really be essentials simply for 'the modeller'. There is no point straining your eyes to see the tiny details or trying to get those sausage fingers around the tiny parts. You don't see young surgeons or dentists trying to do fine delicate operations with fingers only and no magnification. Having said that, I myself am starting to grow old and reading glasses plus magnifier are a major part of my tool kit plus a good bright light (Bright light (preferably moveable) is essential). I would like to find myself some sort of reasonably soft surfaced gripping 'third hand' for holding parts. I think that three adjustable 'fingers' with a soft rubber coating and reasonably fine points mounted on a base which clamps to the workbench/table would be a good start if there are any toolmakers out there, I would have a go myself but I have no access to the neccessary materials and equipment. I also keep meaning to find/or make some form of anvil to aid in cutting parts off the sprue.

Agree not just old people. Soft rubber coated tweezers. First two are beading tweezers.

Laurie

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Eurotool-Pearl-Bead-Holding-Tweezers-Epoxy-Coated/B002VTKXQO/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1490837934&sr=8-14&keywords=beads+tweezers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pearl-Bead-Holding-Tweezers-Indented/dp/B00346CKAA/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1490838004&sr=8-30&keywords=beads+tweezers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-520702-Nylon-Tipped-Tweezers/dp/B0106JP9SW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490838123&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+tipped+tweezers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/tipped-quality-stainless-tweezers-engineer/dp/B002F9MQMO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490838123&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=rubber+tipped+tweezers

6 hours ago, TheLurker said:

Probably stating "the bleedin' obvious", but I've found that resting both elbows on the desk when I'm doing something that requires fine control minimises shakes1, likewise when brush painting resting my hand/wrist on a firm support helps a great deal. 

+1 for the Haemostat (artery forceps) as recommended by LaurieS.  I inherited mine from my Grandad getting on for 40 years ago; he used to use them for tying flies. I've used them for all sorts of fine work ever since including electronics (make great heatsinks).  I'd recommend them to any modeller regardless of age.

1Shakes are a newish and unwelcome thing for me.

yes I do a similar thing.. Both arms resting on a surface for intricate painting etc where a steady hand is required.

The non painting hand I hold on the wrist of the paint hand. Very steady.

Laurie

Many miniature painters paint leaned back, often in chairs with armrests. They rest the miniature and the wrist of the brush holding hand on their breast. Gives lots of control.

Also, for delicate work, make sure your hands touch somewhere. Even if it's only the pinkies that touch - you again gain lots of control and minimize shaking.

@Beardie: I'd be willing to investigate the construction of such a specialized "third hand" tool. Might base it on those cheap ones you can get everywhere. But adding soft grip adjustable strength clamps. I have some ideas for that. But that has to wait until around end of May. I am working on my master thesis at the moment and have neither time nor mind to tackle other things.

• Like 2

Goes for any age. Get good paintbrushes with a good spring. Use the spring to control the brush path.

I spent days when young colouring architectural drawings for builders with water colour. My technique

is to place the brush at the start point then apply pressure on the brush which puts the bristles into tension.

You then have control over the brush to move where you want it. Not the brush doing its own thing.

Also not to load the brush or you will lose control of the paint. A good brush will hold more paint in

control than a cheapy.

Laurie