1/350 Prinz Eugen range finders

RussellE

Hi

I'm backdating my Trumpeter 1/350 Prinz Eugen to 1941 fit and I understand the range finders in the forward Cupola's were exposed as were the smaller one's just forward and below them on the small platforms off the bridge.

I don't know if this is somewhere else on BM, so I apologize if it is, but does anyone know of any aftermarket pieces to use as the range finders? I am loathe to buy a Bismarck kit just to strip the 4 pieces from it.

Alternatively if anyone has any decent drawings and would like to share the information with me, I would be able to model them up in CAD and put them on Shapeways so people can have something to use when back dating their Prinz.

• Like 1

Would it be an option to get the parts from the Revell Bismarck kit. Their customer service is really good.

If yopu need the kit part numbers / kit number just call me, i am building currently one.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Hi Bernd!

Good to see you over here at BM and thank you for replying to my plea for assistance!

If you could let me know the part numbers that would be absolutely great! :smile:

• Like 1

Hello Russell

Kit number: 05040

Part number for the rangefinders: H237

Part number for the basement: H103 ( personally i would alter the Trumpeter parts for this )

Link to the instruction booklet : https://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/05040_%23BAU_BISMARCK_2017.PDF

Happy modelling

Bernd

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BerndM said:

Hello Russell

Kit number: 05040

Part number for the rangefinders: H237

Part number for the basement: H103 ( personally i would alter the Trumpeter parts for this )

Link to the instruction booklet : https://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/05040_%23BAU_BISMARCK_2017.PDF

Happy modelling

Bernd

Hi Bernd! Thank you very much. Yes, H237 is exactly the ones I need for the smaller range finders. It looks like I'll need to scratch build the larger ones for the open cupola's though. I might need to do some creative gizmology for them B)BTW your Bismarck/Tirpitz build is amazing! You've got some courage taking on those two at the one time! I'll be watching :smile:

7 hours ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

Have already got the funnel searchlights/covers or is it worth ordering those too?

Hi Francis. Yes, I was able to scratch build the funnel/searchlight covers from the spare cupola's and am well along into the build. Actually it's kinda snuck up on me that I'm nearly at the finish line....B)

Not that I'm promoting another site, but you can find my build log here

Hope it's okay admin? :think:

• Like 1

Hi Russel. thanks for the kind words and its great that i was able to help with an idea.

Your PG is a real long runner on your bench and it looks fantastic, i am watching this with great interest, my future Prinz will be backdated in a very similar war.

• Like 1

Have you checked for 3D printed accessories?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/35KPPU8W4/1-96-germany-3m-ha-rangefinder?optionId=61990171&li=marketplace

I know that's the wrong scale but that designer lists some things in 1/350 as well and there is a comment on that rangefinder that you can request it in another scale. Might be worth a message.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BerndM said:

Hi Russel. thanks for the kind words and its great that i was able to help with an idea.

Your PG is a real long runner on your bench and it looks fantastic, i am watching this with great interest, my future Prinz will be backdated in a very similar war.

Hi Bernd :smile: Thank you very much for the kind words. I will keep an eye out for when you build your Prinz! Always seemed odd to me that Trumpy never released him in the 1941 fit. The good news is that Revell have responded within a few hours to my request and 4 H237's are on their way! Now that's customer service! B)

9 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Have you checked for 3D printed accessories?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/35KPPU8W4/1-96-germany-3m-ha-rangefinder?optionId=61990171&li=marketplace

I know that's the wrong scale but that designer lists some things in 1/350 as well and there is a comment on that rangefinder that you can request it in another scale. Might be worth a message.

Hi Vlad! Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at shapeways and contacted Stefan to see if he would do them in 1/350 for me, but never got a reply! :o Luckily Revell have come to the rescue... Now I just need to figure out how to do the larger ones... As I mentioned before, I'd be happy to do them in 3d CAD if anyone has any drawings they can share, and I will put them up on shapeways for others to access :idea:

Hi Russel, i never got this as well, why Trumpeter failed to release an early version of PG, they did this in 1:700. It will land on my bench at some time.

Most probably in the same baltic scheme as my BS with red turret tops.

The build will be shown here and may also on Modelshipwrights as well. But this has to wait i have plenty of kits to build.

Revell gets a lot of critism for their kits these days, some is true, some just a matter of taste but their customer service is simply fantastic.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Hi Bernd!

If memory serves I think Trumpy had a 1941 fit in 1/350 listed in their catalogue at some point in the past, but now it's gone. Maybe the sales weren't what they had hoped?

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for your (1/350?) build! There's not a great deal of detailed pictorial information out there, so if you need any assistance give me a shout and I'll see if I can help :smile:

I know what you mean about having plenty of kits to build-my stash seems to grow faster than I can build them... I've made a promise to myself that I cannot add any more ships until I finish (or sell) the ones that I already have... Unless 1/350 HMS Rodney comes out in 1941 fit in 1/350 then all bets are off :lol:

Revell's service was second to none, that's for sure! :smile:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just checked out your build thread and bookmarked it for later use.   Amazing work thus far and can't wait to see the finished Prinz.   Well done Russell.

2 hours ago, Don said:

Just checked out your build thread and bookmarked it for later use.   Amazing work thus far and can't wait to see the finished Prinz.   Well done Russell.

Thanks Don! Welcome aboard mate B)