Spitfire Mk.VII, VIII & IX wing tear drop

Wm Blecky

Not sure if this has come up previously, apologies in advance if so.

I was doing some looking around for ideas for my 1/72 Eduard Spitfire Mk.VIII kits and something I noticed with the Hasegawa, Italeri and Airfix Spitfire kits is that they all have teardrop shape (either an outline or a subtle bulge) on the upper wing, whereas Eduard does not:

Image result for hasegawa 1/72 spitfire pointed wing

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IX

spit8a.jpg

Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire (wing bumps also appear on their 1/48 kit)

These bumps are similar to what I found on my late Spitfire Mk.XVI late wings kits (1/48 kit's wings shown):

84141_01.jpg

I trust that Eduard does have their new range of Spitfire kits correct, but on the off chance and I am curious nonetheless.  Any input would be appreciated.

Eduard's 72nd Spitfires released so far have been wartime aircraft, whereas the teardorp blister is a post war modification - IIRC July '45.  They are going to release post war aircraft - the overtrees for late wing XVIs are disappointingly "out of stock".

I don't think any mk VIIIs got those blisters as they were largely scrapped at the war's end - plenty of mk IXs available.

The Hasegawa and Italeri kits are a trade of accuracy IOT cater to more variants. The same set of base sprues support VII, VIII and IX wings, but details must be added or removed for the specific variant desired. Neither has clear instructions IMHO, regarding what or how to do those. 

Airfix's kit is based on a postwar IX, which has the bulge. To make wartime IX requires it to be removed, but again instructions don't mention it. 

Eduard provide variant specific wings with the proper bulges with one exception: the Mk VIII kit only provide for the later single cannon narrow bulge, not the early wider bulge that would support two cannons seen on a few Mk VIIIs. Eduard do provide instructions on their web site to correct this, but it requires purchasing the early IXc overtrees and conducting some surgery. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is helpful, but the all AZ Spitfire IX kits include all the necessary cannon related wing bulges, both narrow and wide as separate parts. If I ever decide to build an Eduard VIII with 2x20mm cannon per wing, I'll raid the spares in an AZ kit.

• Like 2

The Eduard 1/72 Mk.XVI wing doesn't have the wheel bulge noted (at least mine doesn't).  But the Stencils guide and the decals have the appropriate marking to stop anyone walking on said bulge.

As I've just matt varnished lowback 21-V I will be annoyed if I missed adding the bulge in the instructions but I don't think I did...

Cheers 

Will

8 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Not sure if this is helpful, but the all AZ Spitfire IX kits include all the necessary cannon related wing bulges, both narrow and wide as separate parts. If I ever decide to build an Eduard VIII with 2x20mm cannon per wing, I'll raid the spares in an AZ kit.

That's fine, but doesn't make clear that the wider cannon bulge was also present on many Mk.VIIIs (and Mk.IXs, presumably Mk.VIIs too) that only had one 20mm in each wing.  It may be a working (as opposed to watertight) assumption that F.Mk.VIIIs and F Mk.IXs (i.e. early production) had the wide bulge, whereas LF variants (i.e. the greater majority) had the narrow.

Mk.VIIs are interesting.  They came in two main batches.  The first are generally shown in pre-service photos as having the Day Fighter scheme and a round rudder;  The later ones are seen in the High Altitude Fighter scheme with pointed rudders.  I wonder if the early ones had broad bulged whereas the later ones had narrow?

2 hours ago, malpaso said:

The Eduard 1/72 Mk.XVI wing doesn't have the wheel bulge noted (at least mine doesn't).  But the Stencils guide and the decals have the appropriate marking to stop anyone walking on said bulge.

As I've just matt varnished lowback 21-V I will be annoyed if I missed adding the bulge in the instructions but I don't think I did...

Cheers 

Will

If you note Will, I said "Mk.XVI late wing" - just as in the picture I provided of Eduard's 1/48 offering.

For all who replied, thank you, most helpful and I've learned a few more things about Spitfires and Spitfire kits!

Does anyone have the link from Eduard's website that Greenshirt referenced in his reply?  I had read it previously but did not think to save the link and now, darned if I can find it again.

Edited by Wm Blecky

12 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Here is a comparison shot of the wings to my AZ Mk.XVI mid way through adding the wing bumps

429B98E5-E202-465E-9EFA-99484F9B0D9B_zps

Maybe a tad too pronounced but a rub-down with micromesh sorted that out.

Trevor

That wheel blister is way too over pronounced - it should have at least half the height removed.  Airfix, Hasegawa and Heller got it about right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Does anyone have the link from Eduard's website that Greenshirt referenced in his reply?  I had read it previously but did not think to save the link and now, darned if I can find it again.

It's in their March newsletter, page 36. 

Eduard Newsletter

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

That's fine, but doesn't make clear that the wider cannon bulge was also present on many Mk.VIIIs (and Mk.IXs, presumably Mk.VIIs too) that only had one 20mm in each wing.  It may be a working (as opposed to watertight) assumption that F.Mk.VIIIs and F Mk.IXs (i.e. early production) had the wide bulge, whereas LF variants (i.e. the greater majority) had the narrow.

Mk.VIIs are interesting.  They came in two main batches.  The first are generally shown in pre-service photos as having the Day Fighter scheme and a round rudder;  The later ones are seen in the High Altitude Fighter scheme with pointed rudders.  I wonder if the early ones had broad bulged whereas the later ones had narrow?

True, but I wasn't trying to establish which VIII aircraft had the wider cannon bulge, rather just pointing out that that there was an alternative to hacking up an Eduard early IXc to get the wide bulge.

Edited by Chuck1945
typo correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck1945 said:

True, but I wasn't trying to e4stablish which VIII aircraft had the wider cannon bulge, rather just pointing out that that there was an alternative to hacking up an Eduard early IXc to get the wide bulge.

I am not too keen on doing that either.  I have been considering making a simple little basic mold of the relevant Eduard wing areas and just casting them.  From a cost perspective, not really sure if it is any less expensive than scrapping an Eduard Spitfire kit, but from a cosmetic perspective, everything would have a consistent appearance.  That aside, I do have RTV and resin on hand, whereas I'd otherwise have to pick up a spare Eduard Spitfire kit... and I am not sure if I am really all that keen on hacking up a kit for this.

• Like 1