Airfix 1/72 DH Vampire T. 11

Hi all,

I completed this model around february but I didn't get the chance to take photos of it properly until recently. I enjoyed the kit but snags but no much, as with all my other builds it was painted with Vallejo Model Air. :) I scratch built some ejection handles on the seat out of solder, I know they are a bit thick looking but I like the look of them and it was the only material I had on hand at the time of the build

DSCF3402DSCF3413

DSCF3416

DSCF3411DSCF3419DSCF3409DSCF3408

• Like 11

Those ejection handles are a bit beefy aren't they?  How about trying fuse wire next time?  It's available in a number of thicknesses and two strands, one painted black and t'other yellow, can be twisted together to make the handles unless, unlike me, you can paint black & yellow stripes in 1/72th.  If you were in the UK I'd suggest you contact Litte-Cars who do a range of detailing wires: I wonder if hey have an equivalent in New Zealand.  Might be worth trawling local (to you) web sites?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stever219 said:

Those ejection handles are a bit beefy aren't they?  How about trying fuse wire next time?  It's available in a number of thicknesses and two strands, one painted black and t'other yellow, can be twisted together to make the handles unless, unlike me, you can paint black & yellow stripes in 1/72th.  If you were in the UK I'd suggest you contact Litte-Cars who do a range of detailing wires: I wonder if hey have an equivalent in New Zealand.  Might be worth trawling local (to you) web sites?

Thanks for the helpful suggestion! :) I will have to look into getting some fuse wire :)

20 hours ago, cngaero said:

A very nice looking Vampire. I've got a soft spot for RAF aircraft with yellow trainer bands.

Thanks for the kind comment! :D 

16 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

One of my favorite kit from Airfix, I build a one in Indian Air Force color.

That's a great looking Vamp! :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

A really great looking model, I think Airfix had a big winner with this kit, made one myself few years back, I seem to recall cockpit canopy and seats didn't mix well, and only filling was air intakes, but could my mid road model skills😇

Thanks! :) Yeah, I think Airfix did really well on this kit! :thumbsup2:

6 hours ago, F-32 said:

Really smart

Thanks! :D

5 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Nice work Cam,  very thin wire from flower arrangements is flexi and cheap as well.

Thanks :) That flower arrangement wire looks like a good idea, I'll have to use it some day! :D

30 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Nice job on this beautiful airplane - one cannot have too many Vampires.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for the kind words! :D I agree one can't have too many Vamps! I'm considering getting another one for the Dayglo colour scheme