• 60s NATO vs Warsaw Pact in Europe
    • Britmodeller 10th Anniversary
    • Nightfighter II
    • What If IV
    • Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command
    • Brits Abroad
    • Big screen, Little Screen

This poll is closed to new votes

Crikey; it’s that voting time of year :frantic: !!!!

I’ve been off forum due to poor health. The moment I pop back in for a crafty look, there’s something interesting to take part in; The GB vote :thumbsup: .

A quick neutral non vote trolling comment/train of thought;

The Eleventh hour - Great War; 100 years since the 11th hour 0f the eleventh day of November 1918.

I’ve noticed that once Group Builds commence, new people often come on board and take part; inspired by what they see there.

I must admit to being rather patriotic when it comes to both ANZAC and Rememberance Day.

Like many here; family members in both conflicts (all now deceased).

I wonder if, as events around the 100 years anniversary gain momentum and the media give more coverage, people may be more inspired to take part? To push into maybe a new area of modelling as a tribute?

Much more plastic than a poppy, maybe a more personal gesture :shrug: 

:poppy: 

As others have mentioned, perhaps here on BritModeller it could be some sort of ‘special’ group build?

I’ve probably made a complete pikelet of myself now; my apologies in advance, I should blame it on medication and poor sleep.

Its good to see Rich’s leader boards back. They really help visualise a far more exciting and honest annual vote than the Eurovision Song Contest :D!

Good luck to all; they’re all great ideas :happy: .

(I’ll climb back into my hiding place now :bandit:.)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

welcome back Tony, hopefully your health improves mate, we miss you!

Ok update time, still no strategic voting.......but it will come later don't you worry!   :wicked: Lots of new votes but still a bit early to call anything GB safe.

2018%20Voting%2008-11_zps2ho6t4qj.jpg

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome back Tony, hopefully your health improves mate, we miss you!

Ok update time, still no strategic voting.......but it will come later don't you worry!   :wicked: Lots of new votes but still a bit early to call anything GB safe.

2018%20Voting%2008-11_zps2ho6t4qj.jpg

This is like having Professor Jon Curtice or Jon Snow (not Game of Thrones) with his swingometer on Britmodeller.

Well done it makes it all the more exciting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi

Presumably the '80's Front Line Asia' is EAST of Pakistan and WEST of Alaska. There are not many Asian Air arms covered by the descriptor (west of Pakistan).

Colin W

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi

Presumably the '80's Front Line Asia' is EAST of Pakistan and WEST of Alaska. There are not many Asian Air arms covered by the descriptor (west of Pakistan).

Colin W

Yes sorry about that, a slight faux pas on my part which hopefully @Enzo Matrix can change on the description.

Don't let that stop you voting for it though, loads of great possibilities here, not just with aircraft either as there are loads of great armour models from this era and plenty of ships too.

Gee it'd be a huge GB if it was everything "West" of Pakistan.......maybe a cunning plan to get it though!!! :hmmm:

Ok I know there are a few members waiting for the chart, so here it is. Still a bit early for strategic voting but there are quite a few big movers!!

2018%20Voting%2013-11_zpsqoqo46bl.jpg

Unfortunately those GB's around and below the mid 30's are probably not going to make it which is a shame, but we won't give up hope yet!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, old thumper said:

There is a lot of voting to be done yet. In some ways the actual voting does not take place to much later. What we see now is partly an opinion poll, nothing is written in stone yet and with so many group builds neck and neck things could change. 

;) yeah the fun really starts in the last week of voting when we see the strategic voting and watch all those GB's around the cutoff mark bouncing all over the place. Can make the voting in Eurovision seem boring!!!:D

edit: I've just did a minor update of the chart (won't post yet), but the first changed vote that I can detect has happened!! :yahoo:Let the fun and games begin!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

I never saw the point of changing your vote- you vote for the GBs that you want to enter, and that's all there is to it. If yours don't make it, it's hardly a catastrophe, is it?

You are quite right.

I think the tactical voting comes into play when there are two or more group builds fighting to get above the cut off mark. If there were two or more groups level on points for ninth place then a sort of run off takes place with people removing votes from all but the group they most want to get through. Also if someones favorite group has clearly qualified they may then start making second, third and so on choices.

The problem I have with group builds is more the timing of them. Sometimes there are several I would like to take part in, while at other times there are none.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old thumper said:

The problem I have with group builds is more the timing of them. Sometimes there are several I would like to take part in, while at other times there are none. 

My problem with the timing is me being so slow building models. In fact I could enter almost every GB and STGB, apart from those dedicated only to ships or AFVs, as I have aircraft kits in the stash that qualify.

Cheers

Jaime

6 hours ago, old thumper said:

Yes that's kind of like the problem I have, only I can only participate for part of the year due to my studies, if a GB I'm interested in coincides with this period then great but if not...

4 hours ago, jrlx said:

My problem with the timing is me being so slow building models.

...and here's the other problem, because of my studies I put everything else aside until I'm in the study free period, then everything I haven't been doing is vying for my time and attention all at the same time and so any model I make will take a long time to build.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

and here's the other problem, because of my studies I put everything else aside until I'm in the study free period, then everything I haven't been doing is vying for my time and attention all at the same time and so any model I make will take a long time to build.

I have a similar problem because I'm learning German in the Goethe Institut and this takes precedence over all my other hobbies (yes, I'm learning German as a hobby :) )

Cheers

Jaime

3 minutes ago, jrlx said:

I have a similar problem because I'm learning German in the Goethe Institut and this takes precedence over all my other hobbies (yes, I'm learning German as a hobby :) )

Cheers

Jaime

It's funny, I'm taking an engineering degree which my employer sponsors me to do so I musn't grumble, unfortunately, I have to do this out of work time so it becomes my de-facto hobby whether I see it like that or not!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stevehed said:

Confirms what I've always known, I have minority tastes. However they will still be built this coming year.

Is there any way that you can fit those projected builds into the GBs which get picked up? 

1 hour ago, Wez said:

It's funny, I'm taking an engineering degree which my employer sponsors me to do so I musn't grumble, unfortunately, I have to do this out of work time so it becomes my de-facto hobby whether I see it like that or not!

An engineering degree is an excellent investment of time! By the way, I have a Master's in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering. I'm also entertaining the idea of taking a degree in Aerospace Engineering (as a hobby) after I finish all the levels in the German course :D

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

ok, I can now see votes being changed!!! I did a quick update yesterday at the airport and one just now and there have been a few changes, and battle for the final spots hasn't even started yet!

18 hours ago, old thumper said:

You are quite right.

I think the tactical voting comes into play when there are two or more group builds fighting to get above the cut off mark. If there were two or more groups level on points for ninth place then a sort of run off takes place with people removing votes from all but the group they most want to get through. Also if someones favorite group has clearly qualified they may then start making second, third and so on choices.

Quite true for me as well. In 2016 there were too many group builds that was of interest to me, and I couldn't participate in all of them and had to choose. This year there were no group builds of interest to me - well actually there was one, but I couldn't participate since I was unexpectedly otherwise engaged in my off-time. 

Looks like 2018 will hold 3 that I'm interested in, of which one might not make the cut-off.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1