Swanton Morley plus...

Britman

Three from Swanton that I think are around 1953/54.As my dad left no notes for these pictures I can tell you little about them other than what they are.

SCAN0401

Anson

SCAN0402

Proctors, note different anti glare panels.

SCAN0403

Anson

SCAN0404

AEW Avengers, airfield unknown.

SCAN0405

Bristol Sycamore airfield unknown. Good for anyone building the new S&M kit.

SCAN0408

Now apart from it being a 21 squadron Blenheim I do not know how these came to my dads possession apart from a note on the back in his hand. It says that the Lysander was flown in to assist.

SCAN0406

Does not appear that badly damaged ,how ever they appear to be stripping it down in the picture below.

SCAN0407

Sand cleaning duty on the Magister?

SCAN0409

Lysander. Hope these are of interest.

Keith.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, mhaselden said:

"Like" seems such a limp phrase that goes nowhere near capturing my attitude towards those photos.  The pics of the Blenheim are simply superb!  Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your enthusiasm! Running a bit low on pictures now but I have more to come....

I shudder to think how many photos like these have been thrown out over the years by relatives of ex-servicemen who simply didn't realize what they had.  A friend in Oz (luckily) discovered a WWII fighter pilots belongings being thrown in a skip...including his logbook!  Fortunately, the logbook and some other belongings were saved.  Sadly, too many have been lost over the years...so I applaud your efforts to maintain, and share, the history.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mhaselden said:

I shudder to think how many photos like these have been thrown out over the years by relatives of ex-servicemen who simply didn't realize what they had.

The farther of one of my many Brother-in-law's, was a British pilot during WWII - 'Nibby' Fellows (I can't remember his first name). After the war he was involved all manner of aircrafty things - advanced flying instructor, consulting jobs with various aircraft manufactures, and part of a crash investigation team. He took a large number of photos through the 1950's and 60's.

But most of the photo's, log books and other documentation was thrown away by his daughter after he died. Because she wasn't interested in them, she thought that no one else would be! Aaarrrggghhhh!!!! My brother-in-law nearly throttled her when he found out, but it was too late.

I've put a few of the remaining photo's on Scalemates, when I learn to find my way around on BM I'll post them here.

• 3 years later...

Hi 

Great photos of Swanton Morley.

Britman you need to contact Julian Horn about that Squadron and the Blenheim he’s historian for RAF Watton and says he can help you.

The tower is still there and grade 2 listed the Hangars have gone. 
I’m always looking for photos of the airfield having flown there in the 80’s and 90’s and now back and gathering pictures of the past.

If your looking for glider history No2 GS or 611GS then Ray Fisher is historian and was 611 VGS 52-87.

• Like 1