1/48 Hobby Boss FB-111 Aardvark Finished 30-6-2017

Arniec

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a update. I don't know what happend, but this one was put back in the list of builds.

Now that I have put some paint on It maybee get started again.

Here are some pictures of the exhaust and the painting.

Here is the modified exhaust. As I had mentioned before I had a left over exhaust from a Hasegawa F-104, witch had a nice internal flap ring. I have sawn it out and reduced the size by sanding. I also thinned the internal ring by sanding and after five minutes it fitted. I just needed to fill the seam and did that with some super glue. Here is the result.

IMG_4009_zpsiiu1rydh.jpg

After that I painted some parts in white and black. The white was for the intakes and the black for the exhausts.

IMG_4018_zpsnyrv000x.jpg

IMG_4017_zpsngceuz5x.jpg

The exhausts will later get a coat of metalic paint.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Very nice arnold ,i like the exhaust work

Thanxs. I know that it isn't totally correct, but it looks a lot better than the original parts.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have started the build again. I have glued the top and bottom rear fuselage together and put the wing gloves on a s well.

I have also started the painting of the cockpit.

Hopefully I can put some pictures up this weekend. This will be my main build for next week.

Cheers, 

Hi guys,

I have started the build again. I have glued the top and bottom rear fuselage together and put the wing gloves on a s well.

I have also started the painting of the cockpit.

Hopefully I can put some pictures up this weekend. This will be my main build for next week.

Cheers, 

OK guys, finally a update.

I must kick myself to keep this one going to get the finish in July.

I have painted the cockpit here are two pictures of the result.

IMG_4020_zpsbkycgd5j.jpg

IMG_4021_zpscyvdfs4a.jpg

I did a few things more like putting the stabilizers together, rudder, etc. 

The most strange parts were the two part extensions that holds the stabilizers. The frontal parts didn't fit. There was a big highth differens between the two. 

To correct it I mated it where it fits and the gap was filled with plastic sheet. Still need to clean it up. I forgot to take a picture, so I will show you later.

I also got the cockpit into the fuselage and needed some clamping to get a decent fit.

Here is a picture of the kit fitted with all the things made today. This is still a test fit.

IMG_4023_zpsgsp9xcpi.jpg

I also putted some lead weight in front of the cockpit. I still need to see if this is enough, but the side pannels of the electronic bays will stay of till there is a proper ballancing of the kit.

That is it for today.

Cheers,

• Like 4

There has been a lot of work done on her the last few days. The canopie is on and the nose cone as well. I also placed some more lead in the electronics bays before they were closed of. I also did all the seams. The wings were cleaned up and the undercarriage was made today as well.

She is now nearly ready for some paint. But before I can do that I still need to put on some small parts.

I also managed to brak of some static dischargers from the tail. :doh: I will drill some holes and replace them later with some metal wire.

I have no pictures jet, but try to put some on before the end of the week.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Looking good, probably too late to tell you this but I don't think the kits a tale sitter, I didn't put any nose weight in mine. To be fair I've got the wings forward but I don't think that would make too much difference. Looking like all the hard works behind you now, down hill from here!

Muzz

• Like 1

On ‎14‎-‎6‎-‎2017 at 10:41 PM, Hewy said:

Muzz's right arnold, not a tail sitter,and as for the static dischargers, i can't remember when exactly i lost mine but they're just about all gone:P

Glynn

Well, with the wings swept back I am not so shure, so for safety I have placed the weight.

I will try to replace the static dischargers at the end of the build. I have already drilled some small holes for it.

Here are also some pictures of what has been done lately.

Here is a picture after the cockpit is placed. As you can see there is some clamping involved as it didn't fit perfect. This was my own fault. I wanted it to do it quickly and didn't lined it up like earlier in the build when I testfitted it.

IMG_4023_zpsgsp9xcpi.jpg

Here is a picture of what has been done with the pylons. As some of you may know that they are incorrect for the FB-111A. The pylons were take of a shim of plastic and reprofiled to give it the correct look. I know it isn't perfect, but better than the original ones.

IMG_4024_zpscobpgruv.jpg

This picture is of the extentions by the stabilisors that didn't connect properly. If i had used the orginal plan I would have had a difference in heighth of about a millimeter. so I gave it a strip of plastik to get the better heighth and filled the seams later.

IMG_4025_zpsvjy0rsbk.jpg

And this are the last two pictures of today. Here you can see that the canopie is placed and the rest of the fuselage done.

IMG_4027_zpstc3fn7wu.jpg

IMG_4026_zpseaqhd3yk.jpg

That is it for now. I hope to prepare her for some paint this weekend.

Cheers,

• Like 2

That's a F-111 in full flight!!! She certainly had a look to her with the wings back, to see her like this at about 150' just under the speed of sound!! The pilots use to love sneaking up on the crowds at airshows in this config, nothing then this almighty thunder as she streaked overhead, scare the crap out of you if you didn't notice her!

She does look nice with her wings back, sort of wished I had built mine like that. Looking forward to seeing some paint on her.

What's the Javelin doing on the table???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

That's a F-111 in full flight!!! She certainly had a look to her with the wings back, to see her like this at about 150' just under the speed of sound!! The pilots use to love sneaking up on the crowds at airshows in this config, nothing then this almighty thunder as she streaked overhead, scare the crap out of you if you didn't notice her!

She does look nice with her wings back, sort of wished I had built mine like that. Looking forward to seeing some paint on her.

What's the Javelin doing on the table???

That would have been awsome to see!!!! With regret I didn't see one at a airshow in my past. :fraidnot:

She does look so sleak with the wings back. :wub:

The Javelin is for the Made in Britain II GB that I am working on as well. That is a realy nice kit. But first I need to finish this one and then the Mistel 1.

Luckely I have a big table at the back of my workbench. otherwise it would have been impossible to do tree such large kits in one go.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Started today the painting. First colour on. The light grey for the underside.

Tomorrow will be the first day for the upperside painting.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks fantastic!

Full back or in combat manouvring mode.. 

He will be having full back swept wings on the ground to save some room in the vitrine (If it fits).

Hope I get it finished before the end of the GB.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Well I have painted the model in the last few days. I have also given the model just have a hour ago a coat Klear so I can do tomorrow the decals.

Hopefully the HB decals will work. 

Here are some pictures of the painting.

The model before painting.

IMG_4034_zpszghgvc5l.jpg

And after painting

IMG_4036_zpsayrtuefe.jpg

IMG_4037_zpsid45d7eq.jpg

IMG_4039_zpsqleuwgvv.jpg

IMG_4038_zpsndykhhn7.jpg

That is it for now.

This isn't my best model, but I will try to finish it. 

Cheers,

• Like 3

Good job on the first colours Arnold Im sure you'll get there with her In the end even if a little overdue the wings are a stand out feature though super work

Glynn 

• Like 1

great work Arnold with the paint job. She does look different with the light undersurface compared to the black on the normal ones.

Looks like you're with the rest of us, not quite sure whether you'll finish her in time of not. It'll be very close for a lot of us.

Haven't seen you in the MiG-29 thread yet?  ;):D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

great work Arnold with the paint job. She does look different with the light undersurface compared to the black on the normal ones.

Looks like you're with the rest of us, not quite sure whether you'll finish her in time of not. It'll be very close for a lot of us.

Haven't seen you in the MiG-29 thread yet?  ;):D

It will be close to the finish.

O, I will be in the Mirage GB. Those I have in the stash. I am not a big Mig 29 fan, but later this year I will be with the Su-27 GB.

Cheers,

• Like 1

And Finished. I had some trouble with the main landing gear. It is quite flimsy and it is still shaky.

Here ar some pictures. The rest will go into the Gallery.

35637378386_4434e476d8_b.jpg

35637378776_e189bd9bb7_b.jpg

35637377626_37e73a1221_b.jpg

35507934082_b26dd742b4_b.jpg

I am glad it is finished. It nearly killed my modelling mojo. Maybee I made some mistakes myself, but there are some points that Hobby Boss could make better. Hopefully next time.

Although the model looks fab after it is finished. 

Chees,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

Well done Arnold, congrates on finishing. For some reason Photobucket has decided to have a hissy fit and I cannot see any of you're photos (actually it's the same for quite a few other post, think ot's a cunning plan to get money out of you!!) so for the moment I'll have to take you word for it.

I don't think you're the only one that has found this build a bit of a struggle, I for one have found it quite tuff, HB's model hasn't helped a bit!!

Well I'm glad you could join the build, even though it was hard I hope you had some fun.

• Like 1