"Warner Bros. Comet" - 1934 Boeing 247-D racer

The "Warner Bros. Comet" was an American entry in the 1934 London-Melbourne air race. Adapted from Boeing's then-new, state of the art low wing monoplane airliner, it was fitted with extra internal fuel tanks and navigation gear and flown by pilot Roscoe Turner, coming in, well, third. You can't have everything.

The kit is an oldie from Williams:

XCsAQGz.jpg

and the box contents:

r9Y7kcq.jpg

As you can see, it's already got the racing version as an option with the interior fuel tanks ready to replace the seating. The decals also look good with one exception which we'll get to in a minute.

There's a fair amount of references for this one. A couple of Pathe films of the race show the plane with some of its interior:

... and there's also a load of images around if you google, for example this (public domain) one.

PTY7c2A.jpg

(Museums Victoria, https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1548480)

So, in that image - you see that honking massive logo on the side? The 'Warner Bros Comet' logo? It's on both sides, and yeah, that's the one marking they didn't include on the decals. I have no idea why. Anyway, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

First up is the interior.

• Like 6

My favourite era. For all things..especially pioneers. 

I'm going to be watching this with interest; This kit is supposed to be a little tricky to build and get accurate, some say very tricky. I feel it may not be that bad.

Their Northrop Gamma kit is fine.

Welcome to the GB!

Best regards

TonyT

A great choice Unkempt :popcorn:

I had this kit in my stash until recently, when I sold it to another BM member - I fear that I may now I regret that decision!

Cliff

On 01/04/2017 at 5:18 PM, CliffB said:

A great choice Unkempt :popcorn:

I had this kit in my stash until recently, when I sold it to another BM member - I fear that I may now I regret that decision!

Cliff

It's gone to a good home Cliff :winkgrin:

I will look after it, still looking for a scheme to finish it in.

I am also watching this build :popcorn:

• Like 1

OK, here we go. Cockpit is basic but should be OK through the transparency.

WiEkfZT.jpg

The interior is almost entirely taken up by fuel tanks. The instructions say to cut out some 'floor heaters' before gluing the tanks to the floor; I didn't bother as you couldn't see the heaters anyway.

vt7RiHK.jpg

That turned out to be a bad idea - if you don't remove the heaters then the tanks are too far apart so the assembly won't fit in the fuselage. So off with the tanks, out with the 'heaters' and back on with the tanks a bit closer to the centre. It fits now.

ZFXxjYZ.jpg

r6i2JFd.jpg

Cockpit's also in, but there's a bit of a fit issue with the bulkhead:

qQy1lIR.jpg

Next up is rooting through the spares box to find something better for the radio equipment than the squarish blob provided, then I can get the fuselage together and fill in that cockpit bulkhead, and then onward and upward.

• Like 6

I busied up the navigator's table:

Ts4gvzT.jpg

- hope he's okay getting to Australia using the back end of a 1/35th machine gun because that's what he's got.

Fuselage together, wings next, still some filling and sanding to go.

deiKA8Z.jpg

Also going to reposition the elevators a bit, the kit representation doesn't look much like the real thing.

xxAJOa1.jpg

Still haven't got the canopy on, looks like some more fit issues there.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2017 at 8:57 AM, Caerbannog said:

Nice topic and build. :popcorn:

Thanks. I was feeling good about it last night, when I finished the overall grey and gave it a gloss coat.

ZcgQV2P.jpg

Unfortunately, this morning this happened:

53VMbSY.jpg

It just completely disintegrated. I've tried one from the other scheme and that's disintegrating too. Currently trying overspraying another spare decal with varnish to see if I can salvage something, but it's not looking good at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Maybe you should scan or photocopy the decals first - just to have a back up for masks or DIY decals.

Good Luck!

Yep, they're scanned. And good news!

56EYBrG.jpg

A thin coat of acrylic gloss seems to have done the trick.

So I'm just short of the lower registration number I screwed up in the first place, but I have to do the fuselage logos anyway so it's off to photoshop.

• Like 4

GVT945p.jpg

Hmm. A bit wobbly.

edit: Yeah, I can't get a good result with my 5-year old inkjet paper. I've ordered some laser stuff which I can print down at the library, so we're on hold for about a week.

Edited by Unkempt
update
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely brilliant progress!

I had heard that this kit could be a challenge, but you've steamed through the fit issues with style :thumbsup2: .

Good save in the decals. I too have an old Ink jet printer. I have to scan and make new transfers for the Jak-23 Im

trying in this GB. Amy hints and tips on dpi and printer settings would be most welcome!

Looking forward to the next instalment ;)

All best regards

TonyT

Thanks. Sorry about the delay - while I was waiting for the new paper I got an Eduard Lysander out and this happened -

yPJnn1W.jpg

- but that's all done now, and I've got the new paper and I've photoshopped up the decals I want. I tried a test print down there and the images were coming out at about 80% the size that they were at home which is obviously useless, I'll be down there again this afternoon trying to sort that out.

Edited by Unkempt

Xmyzdm8.jpg

Much better! I'm afraid my tip is to avoid inkjet printers and use a laser printer. Much better results than any inkjet decals I've ever tried.

On the home stretch now, need to tidy up, do gear & engines, aerials, a bit of weathering (but not too much).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...