1/48 Hobby Boss F-111F Aardvark **FINISHED**

Muzz

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

That isn't ott muzz,it looks spot on to me how have you gone about it ,blue tack worms or complete freehand?

Thanks, it's not OTT as such but whenever you see the photo's of the Lakenheath airframes they always look well kept, some almost immaculate.

I use Clever Putty to mask, I think it's also sold as Panzer Putty, same idea as blu tac just easier to work with.

• Like 1

A busy day and lots done, last camo colour on! Really pleased with how it's looking, some areas require tidying up and also where I've made a couple of errors with what paint goes where but all pretty minor stuff, Scottish National Model Show tomorrow in Perth and then it'll be on with the black.

20170429_000715.jpg

• Like 9

Just look what I happened across today at the Scottish Nationals in Perth, nearly bought these from Australia a month or so ago but decided total cost including P&P wasn't justified. A lucky find!

20170429_205526_edit_1493495781279.jpg

• Like 4

Nearly decal time! I have the pre painted intakes attached and sprayed the black on the forward lower fuselage, just need to finish the black below the intakes and then after a gloss coat it'll be time to break out the Afterburner decals!

20170501_003639_1.jpg

20170501_003456_1.jpg

• Like 4

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Muzz said:

I quite fancy trying MRP but the price has really put me off so far.

They are a bit pricey but you use so little paint they will last a lot longer than others.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she's looking awesome!!! :thumbsup: I so wish I could play with mine.....but 5 weeks to go!

Can't wait for the decal photos!

Thanks Rich. A little teaser for you then....

20170503_103311.jpg

• Like 7

On 5/2/2017 at 7:20 AM, snapper_city said:

They are a bit pricey but you use so little paint they will last a lot longer than others.

I can second that - they are more but larger bottles and go on so well. Saves on thinners too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

I can second that - they are more but larger bottles and go on so well. Saves on thinners too. 

Apart from the fact they are lacquers I can't remember ever seeing a negative review of them vs the hundreds of extremely positive personal reviews. The only downside thing i have heard is they dry in the air quick so can lay nasty and paint build up in tight areas like intakes or landing gear bays. No thinners needed to spray. They spray extremely small and controlled. You can/need to turn the air pressure down (below 10psi) so use such little paint. You can spray really close to the model for even tighter lines. Great expanding colour range. The paint coat is bomb proof. No need to clear coat to use aggressive weathering products if you are that way inclined. I would still klear coats though. 

I have even started using lacquer thinners with Tamiya for amazing results. Last week I used acyrillcs for the first time since trying MRP and found it so much more agro. I will definitely be buying more of the MRP range.

• Like 2

Decaling done, next up a semi Matt coat, wash and black area on nose and wing roots.

20170508_210732_edit_1494275494002.jpg

20170508_210503.jpg

• Like 7

Lots of progress this week. All painting finished save for a few areas to touch up. Vallejo panel line wash applied. Wasn't sure if I should finish it in a matt coat or a semi matt coat but decided in the end on a matt finish. Masking came off all the red areas and I've attached the control surfaces to see how it looks, nothing fixed in place yet.

20170513_104548.jpg

20170513_104948.jpg

• Like 12

Looks great! 

Maybe a bit very matt... if you polish it a bit with a polishing cloth in some areas it probably breaks up the uniform matt appearance a bit! Or it is just on the photos....

Good job in any case!,

• Like 1