What Is It About Plastic Models??!

Ventora3300

Hello All,

Like many of you, I am a more senior modeller who has come back to it after the gap between childhood and comfortable later life. I must say that in coming back to modelling in recent years, I now realise that it was great fun in childhood but it is an obsession in later life with a great appetite to learn all about the kits and the companies - and websites/forums like Britmodeller are a tremendous help in that.

Looking back at some of the quirks I had when building models in the 60's and 70's (last century), it had to be Airfix for 'detail' and Revell 1/32 for working features, aircraft had to have the undercarriage up, bombers had to have 4 engines and turrets and anything with radial engines was better because the propellers would spin when you blew at them. Sailing ships had limited life because Mum just had to dust them and they then looked like they had been through the Battle of Trafalgar.

I am now becoming better educated and really get hooked on particular kits for their individuality once I have seen a few build reviews and options - still in the 'collecting/stashing' phase.

Where will it all end? - enjoying the journey.....

All the best to the other Members.

Mike

• Like 3

From one newbie to another newbie – welcome newbie.

I think you will find that a lot has changed in your absence. I'm also a 'returnee' (after 37 years) and I hope you enjoy your return as much as I am.

Gorby

• Like 2

On 28/03/2017 at 4:20 PM, Ventora3300 said:

Where will it all end?

With a strange creature called a 'carpet monster' which eats bits of your model and another thing called a 'stash' (aka very expensive loft insulation) which defies gravity and hides from your wife.

There's a couple of others from Stirling on here too.

Are you going to the Perth show?

Richard

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Scimitar said:

With a strange creature called a 'carpet monster' which eats bits of your model and another thing called a 'stash' (aka very expensive loft insulation) which defies gravity and hides from your wife.

There's a couple of others from Stirling on here too.

Are you going to the Perth show?

Richard

That's it exactly! Hadn't heard of any shows so will check out your advice. Happy modelling!

• 3 weeks later...

Another 50-something returning to the fold!  The difference these days is I need reading glasses for everything! :(  Fortunately, the carpet monster has managed to be conquered the first time it struck, and the stash is growing!  

Made the mistake of picking up a couple of Airfix kits with paint and glue (who would have thought!) just before Christmas from Aldi of all places, a couple of weeks later a Mk1 Hurricane was semi-complete and the hooks were in!  Still have a Mk1a Spitfire to make from them, but am in the process of making the Bedford MWD from the BoB kit.

Edited by HomerJ_757
  • Like 1

All the best to you Mike. I'm another returnee apart from a few dabbles over the years. 

Good point about the fun in childhood thing. I never ever painted a canopy back then, I just strafed German troops with an F86 Sabre instead. Can also remember telling my uncle that my WW2 Russian troops were baddies. Maybe I subliminally knew about the cold war. 

I have had a few beers so I may be rambling. 

Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I have and that your stash grows and grows.

Martin

• Like 1

Welcome back to the madness that is scale modeling.  You should try and make it to the Perth show at the end of the month. I'll be there on the Sunday can't wait.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1