Hawker Typhoon 1:24

Well summer has come to an end (or close to it) has been around 30 deg C with no rain since 1st week of July and today we hit 7 deg C so time to get back to the bench.

Finished of putting the PE in the gun bays still need to paint.

zrFOpV.jpg

vQATRt.jpg

Then put some PE to the gun covers

tEOdBO.jpg

qKSsoH.jpg

So then I glued the radiator cover together and wanted to see if I could fit to the radiator, so reduced the thickness and got it to fit, it will not be on once finished, but just wanted to make it look better than what it was.

y4J9gN.jpg

FH4mnG.jpg

lrNcwe.jpg

QwjTd0.jpg

Yzqs1R.jpg

ZCZUrL.jpg

Until next time,

Regards

Richard

• Like 10

On 9/14/2017 at 11:07 PM, Drift said:

This is just brilliant. Two questions if I may. How did you do the spark plugs, and what did you use for the braided hose?

Thanks alot Drift, bought the spark plugs from RB Motion and the braided hose from Detail masters 2mm dia

SJJ1os.jpg

On 9/14/2017 at 11:23 PM, longshanks said:

Hi Richard

Mixed emotions here...

I feel for you with winter coming

but on the flip side it's good to see your micro engineering continuing

Love what you're doing to this Typhoon

Kev

Hi Kev thanks for looking in "Winter is coming" tonite it is 2 deg C snow has landed north of the city (Calgary) great to get back on the bench

On 9/15/2017 at 4:05 AM, Harrier/ViperFan said:

So when is it due to take to the air? As it's got to be a real plane not a model.

Thanks very much Harrier Viper fan 

On 9/15/2017 at 6:40 AM, RichO said:

Nice to see you back to work Richard.  The project look great, I'm ready for a thrill ride.  Good job.

Good to be back Rich project is coming along glad you are in for the ride, hope to get this done this year :hourglass: I will then get back to the Matador.

Put some black primmer on the cowling  and then added it to the radiator, does look a bit brutish eh

egD89Y.jpg

mElL9e.jpg

MV9A5A.jpg

1fw0ai.jpg

Started to put some ribs down the fuselage because will have the radio door open

Y4iRhE.jpg

xA9bX2.jpg

Also started making the TR1143 radio unit out of brass, once this is done will make the framework to hold in place

ZkR6gy.jpg

AYsY29.jpg

Until next time,

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Great job on the radiator panels, that was one of the worst parts to get looking even reasonable IMHO, you have made it look fantastic.

Hi Julian, cowling came out not to bad, had to remove quite a bit of plastic, also I cut some of the rib of the cowling which I glue to the wings, this is why I had to add plastic hope this makes sense.

Regards

Richard 

Added the ribs, went a bit more than I should have but I was having fun B)

H43ytW.jpg

AZdLtF.jpg

Got the joints very close so when time to glue it should very good

8g1G8p.jpg

Then add plastic card to fill the gaps

vvpVXU.jpg

HzzKpb.jpg

0cM6Ea.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Fantastic engine, I think the braided hose makes all the difference.

John

Hi John, I totally agree with you regarding the braided hose, there will be more details added to the engine, sort of mixing the build up at the moment.

14 hours ago, longshanks said:

It can be very therapeutic ....

Neat job

Kev

"It can be very therapeutic ...." or very stupid :think: but if you look in the door to the radio you can see the ribs

Made the radio bracket, not sure if this is correct but this is my artist impression because I have no drawings to go by.

n9lmsR.jpg

FUrKQc.jpg

kalytv.jpg

RkobWI.jpg

RJbwkY.jpg

kiEuFl.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 12:01 AM, Christer A said:

A plywood shelf for the radio?

Nice!

Great work with all the ribs too!

Thanks alot Christer

On 9/25/2017 at 12:44 AM, longshanks said:

It all looks so real/lifelike

Pure magic mate

Kev

Thanks Kev coming together very slow as usual 

On 9/25/2017 at 1:33 AM, Hewy said:

Model engineering of the utmost quality richard, i must have been on the moon with this, i shall start from the beginning. 

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn its been a fun build so far

Sorry guys for the late replies have been busy at work, but do thank you all for looking in and making a comment. :like:

Regards

Richard

Richard, I'm a latecomer to this thread but I wanted to post and say I'm really enjoying this one. The added detail, the changes from the kit, the slightly different colouring on various parts of the engine mount...superb.

I know a couple of gents working on separate 1:1 Typhoon projects and I'll share this on Facebook to help inspire them. Gorgeous work.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Close to a couple of years between posts :wonder: looks like I have to install all pic's again, (got rid of photobucket)

Have been working on it here and there these past couple of months while working on my Bluenose Schooner, so here is a little update better late than never eh

Made the other small box which went in front of the radio from brass.

cVfz10.jpg

rIYR9t.jpg

S1JW4s.jpg

Then made the fairlead bracket for the control wires to the rudder and elevators

qOuvp5.jpg

nHRqyj.jpg

XCsa50.jpg

8UppFm.jpg

Then changed the back wheel bracket to Brass also inserted a brass tube into mount so I think this will not break, also have since painted inside aluminum trying to get so that I can finally close up the fuselage.  

v7HJUs.jpg

Ivm3Yf.jpg

Thats it for now hope it is not another two years for a update :wall:

Regards

Richard

• Like 8

I'm late to this thread too but also wanted to say how amazed I am by this build.

Miles and miles and miles beyond my skill and patience level but I love seeing what a truly gifted modeller can do and I'm loving seeing this.

Just fantastic!

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 11:56 PM, Smithy said:

I'm late to this thread too but also wanted to say how amazed I am by this build.

Miles and miles and miles beyond my skill and patience level but I love seeing what a truly gifted modeller can do and I'm loving seeing this.

Just fantastic!

Thanks a lot Smithy glad you like what I am doing with this it has been fun 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:20 AM, Kirk said:

Fabulous stuff as always. Is that the Coles I see on the workbench too? :yahoo:

Thanks very much Kirk, trying to do a bit here and there on a few models :nod:, and yes the Matador with Coles crane is just waiting on the bench for me to give it some under-dividing attention.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Wow, stunning detail. Late to the thread and sad to see that the earlier pics are gone. Keep up the great work!

Andy

Thanks Andy, will be adding my other pictures  :nodding:

Regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy, have installed all pic's approx as they were

Here is an update thought I would try some casting, only tried it once before and that was in 2012 and the Smooth On was now outdated so found a place in Vancouver which sells Mold Star 15 and Smooth-Cast 

Wanted to cast the radio's I have made this included the other radio (which I made for the Hurricane, it is the same for Typhoon) which went under the other two radio's so made the mold box out of lego stuck the three pieces to a piece of 1/4" plastic tube and went about mixing the mold silicone rubber, it says it does not need and vacuum to remove bubbles so poured the mix into the mold very carefully and let it sit for 4 hours  

Tw7aD6.jpg

u2as53.jpg

hUqtGz.jpg

Well this was not a success first off had a bugger of a time getting the pieces out and next the mold I could see was full of air bubbles, so did not attempt to make a cast 

15yyjo.jpg

So I figured out by looking at some casting pieces I had ordered I had not made my casting mold correct so this is what I did next

DcRhNe.jpg

FBmvlX.jpg

So put this into a smaller mold box

XZ611o.jpg

Mixed up some more Rubber mold but this time I put it in a vacuum tank at 29 psi for 2 1/2 mins (should of seen the bubbles being removed) then poured it into the mold

zPPC8T.jpg

Then I put this into a pressure pot I converted out of a pressure paint pot (much cheaper to buy) went to 50 PSI let it sit for 4 hours

FVLSYh.jpg

Then took it out and mold turned out fantastic

CEmUmt.jpg

Mixed up some smooth cast 305 poured it into the mold, put it in the pressure pot for 35 mins

RXkR5q.jpg

And got a brilliant casting

P8ZBzH.jpg

EUiQRp.jpg

Q3Dab4.jpg

Now they are painted and I added a couple of decals 

gui3ZQ.jpg

VFrr1h.jpg

Always thought it was a hard thing to do but now I know how to do it I will do a lot more

Until next time

Regards

Richard 

• Like 8