1/35 UH-1C

This will be my first WIP ever, and my first build (other than a no paint snaptite for the kiddo) in 15 years.

No pictures yet as the kit is in the mail, but I do have questions I'm hoping some of you masters can help me with prior to the start of construction.

First, did any Huey's fly without pilot's doors?  I know in the GWOT the Kiowa's rarely if ever did, and there's something sexy about a bird with no doors.

Second, I'd like to splurge on aftermarket, I'm a "grown-up" with a real job now and I can actually afford them, but I don't even know where to begin, any recommendations?

And finally, all I have for paints are enamels, but I'd like to make the switch to acrylics, so if you were starting from scratch, what colors would you buy? ((Primarily for the UH-1, but some general purpose colors always help))

I know this is a pretty significant request for information, but hopefully in a week or so I'll start uploading pictures as the build begins.

• Like 1

Sexy without doors, I'm duty bound to agree aren't I?

So yes I agree. :)

When I came back into this hobby I switched from enamels to acrylics but I have never found an acrylic that can 'colour' the surface like enamels

All the acrylics seem to have a similar property, the ability to lie on a surface quite thickly

Most are soft and, I find, flexible and can be lifted off with an accidental thumb nail

Hence, I've just started buying new stocks of recent enamels again

I'm very happy with Colour coats from Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies, lots of useful shades in the range

But if acrylics is your think I like Vallejo for a massive colour range and Tamiya make decent stuff too

Not too impressed by Humbrol these days but they do a decent range of colours too

bill

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, perdu said:

Sexy without doors, I'm duty bound to agree aren't I?

So yes I agree. :)

When I came back into this hobby I switched from enamels to acrylics but I have never found an acrylic that can 'colour' the surface like enamels

All the acrylics seem to have a similar property, the ability to lie on a surface quite thickly

Most are soft and, I find, flexible and can be lifted off with an accidental thumb nail

Hence, I've just started buying new stocks of recent enamels again

I'm very happy with Colour coats from Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies, lots of useful shades in the range

But if acrylics is your think I like Vallejo for a massive colour range and Tamiya make decent stuff too

Not too impressed by Humbrol these days but they do a decent range of colours too

bill

I've always used enamels but with a baby in the house (and no longer a building room) Household 6 said I can't build anymore cause the paints smell too bad.  So acrylics it is.  

I've heard a good bit about Tamiya paints, and they're easy to get so that's probably the route I'll go.

Thanks for the input!

If its about the 'niff' of them bear in mind that Tamiya is a sort of spirit based paint which has its own quite pungent, sharpish niff too, Humbrol and Vallejo are nose safe

Mr Hobby paint is niffy too, never tried Gunze though but I hear that is a kind of spirit based paint too

b

10 hours ago, crushkill said:

First, did any Huey's fly without pilot's doors?

Not as a matter of course. They are easily removed but I've only ever removed them for firefighting bucketing on civil Hueys. Never done it for Australian Army Hueys, though - those used in Vietnam may have from time to time but I was just a kid then!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, perdu said:

If its about the 'niff' of them bear in mind that Tamiya is a sort of spirit based paint which has its own quite pungent, sharpish niff too, Humbrol and Vallejo are nose safe

Mr Hobby paint is niffy too, never tried Gunze though but I hear that is a kind of spirit based paint too

b

Change of plans then, I will be trying Vallejo as it is easier to get Stateside (so I'm lead to believe in my very limited research)

1 hour ago, Bell209 said:

Not as a matter of course. They are easily removed but I've only ever removed them for firefighting bucketing on civil Hueys. Never done it for Australian Army Hueys, though - those used in Vietnam may have from time to time but I was just a kid then!

A fellow over on ARC found a unit that did! 

His father was with the US Army's 190th AHC and it was their unit standard to fly with no pilot doors, but crew doors were still mounted, so looks like I've found my unit; just need to chose an airframe now.

Thanks for the help though!

Initial Opening

The kit is opened and washed.  Hopefully my aftermarket goodies will be here soon and I can really get cracking on her.  I've decided to build a 190th AHC aircraft, though I haven't decided on a particular aircraft just yet.   

• Like 1

Finally got started on the bird, although I'm still waiting on my aftermarket stuff to arrive.

The exhaust vents are molded closed, so naturally I pulled the trigger on a much harder job than I thought and started opening them, after an hour of work, I was able to get 2 of the 8 opened, though the pictures are after first opened vent.

Before and after opening one the ventsBefore and after opening one the ventsBefore and after opening one the vents

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Eduard PE set finally arrived, but due to a busy work week and the in-laws visit this weekend I wasn't able to get much done.

33159090004_9a31cb2a79_b.jpg

First up was to open up all the necessary holes in the floor.

33159398254_195b7131a3_b.jpg

Next, applied the PE to ammo chute openings in the floor (a significant improvement IMO)

33963105516_cd43a64e22_b.jpg

Started the update on the center console, once again a HUGE improvement

33904564502_076a946e25_b.jpg

Completed center console.  

34020874846_fb3b3eb139_b.jpg

Finally, mounted the rear bulkhead and the electronics bay.  

Looks like it'll be another busy week, but hopefully I'll get the seats completed by the weekend!

• Like 1