Question Merit Gladiator v. Roden

28ZComeback

Greetings, 

I have been asked to build a 1/48 Gladiator for a gent and was wondering if anyone here has a strong opinion as to which manufacturer produced the more accurate kit.  I understand the Merit kit has issues with the cowl and landing struts;  other than those issues is it comparable in detail and accuracy to Roden's?  I like the Roden  kits displayed here except the landing struts appear overscale, or too long at least.  Thank you for your comments and opinions.

Edited by 28ZComeback

I have both kits and have yet to build either.  The Merit kit however looks to be the easier build, especially with the wing struts, and the cowling can be easily fixed by pinching one from the old Pyro kit ( of which there are plenty around at shows or on E Bay and cheap).  Suspect a resin replacement may eventually see the light of day.

I have built the Roden kit and there are some areas where it is a little over engineered - nice kit though. The old Pyro one is a very nice kit and for its time was a quite advanced. To me it's a bit of a toss up which one is the best. 

I was not wildly impressed by sight of the new Merit kit and didn't buy one. I too very much like the old Pyro (and various other names) kit, which only really needs a Falcon /Squadron canopy and an interior and a bit of light fettling.

• Like 1