What to do with failed builds?

Vinnie

5 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Sounds like my eldest son.

Last day of school life.. Came home. Took a spade into the garden

Dug hole. Chucked in all school books & memorabilia. Filled in hole. And stamped on it.

Laurie

I went to a school like that...

• Like 1

I've had a few failed builds and usually reduce the airframe to spares, which are then used in other kits. For example, the interior of a Sword Spitfire XIV and bits & bobs from an AZ Spitfire IX were used, with the spare parts in the Sword Seafire III, to make a Spitfire Vc.

3 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Ouch this looks nuclear  :yikes:

You looked me through - I am a nuclear physicis in my professional life... :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Well, if you want to hear from an old guy who has pretty much been building consistently since 1964 I can tell you that I have only blown four or five kits to the point that I couldn't stand them.You will find that the bi-planes can really test ones patience, and I really respect the WWI guys for their patience and dedication.A lot of it depends on how steep the learning curve and how high your expectations are for your build juxtaposed with your ability. Modeling can be very frustrating, for instance, the time as a youngster that I was so frustrated with an old Revell Cr 32, (or was it 42?) that it somehow took flight and crashed against the wall. I only did that once and felt quite immature and stupid for my actions. Anyway, what to do with builds that go nowhere? I have found, since my unauthorized flight with the CR, that once you have passed the stage where you keep your gluey finger tips off the clear parts, that botched paint jobs could be very frustrating. My earliest kits were hand painted, but many times looked pretty good because I used an expensive fox hair (or some such animal) brush, but because of the introduction of the airbrush, which I slowly transitioned to (I'm no Luddite!) my models started looking better.. In most cases of botched model syndrome I was able to spray over the paint job with primer and start over again. The trick is not to gob on the paint so thick (very common with rattle can spray jobs) and that requires an airbrush, and a lot of practice with it, which brings me to another point. The kits you are not happy with make excellent airbrush practice pieces. The other factor to address is the fact that models are, and have been getting a bit pricey,  just chucking them in the trash is not an easy option. Once again, a painting test bed is a good option, then when you are through, and the models are in just acceptable enough shape, go to the local children's hospital, especially the pediatric cancer ward, and see if there are any youngsters who would have their day made a bit brighter with a nice model airplane. They aren't likely to be picky like us and more than likely to think that the airplane that you gave them was the hottest thing since sliced bread! Just an idea. Hope this helps, and the best of luck with your journey through the world of building little plastic airplanes!

Cheers

• Like 2

On 26/03/2017 at 7:29 PM, LaurieS said:

Only one failure ( apart from my self) a Revell Apache 1/48. Got a third of  the way there but it was

horrible. Some one said use filler but decided I needed a model not filler.

Is it possible that the only real problem was that you expected it to look like something that could, in fact, pass through the air without offending it? ;)

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Is it possible that the only real problem was that you expected it to look like something that could, in fact, pass through the air without offending it? ;)

Possibly Gingerbob. But it got what it deserved. Dead on my Diorama.

Laurie

PS one of my grandsons is bright ginger. Likes Mr James Bond. So nicknamed himself Ginger Bond.

21 hours ago, Niles said:

That was in the days when a typical airplane kit cost just under a dollar and you could save up for it out of your allowance in a few weeks.  Can kids actually afford these things now or has making airplane models become a pastime for us old men with some disposable income?

That $1 is worth $7.81 today. 

I can buy a much nicer 1/72 single engine prop kit for about $8.99 retail today, which when combined with online sales and shipping is about right. Value for money in this hobby has vastly improved over the last 50 years. 

Most websites recommend $1 per year of age for a weekly allowance today. So a 10 year old can easily afford that example kit on just one week's allowance. With change to spare. 

Thanks, everybody. Excellent advice. They shall become airbrush and new glue testbeds for the future. Not so sure about JW's suggestion though. :D

''Ammonia has very strong odour - to remove old paint I always use NaOH.  instead pure this reagent (bought as reagent) one can just use the stuff for unblocking chocked draining system - it is NaOH in fact... Use glaves and googles, otherwise you may be in problems. Prepare solution of about at least 10% NaOH (or stronger) in a plastic box (covered) . I use one from IKEA. The dissolution reaction is exothermic, so the fresh solution will be warm or even hot. So wait with putting whole models (or broken into parts) until you can be sure that temperature will not deform it. Left model in the bath for about week. Then wash with tap water (wipe using teeth brush if needed) - beware all metal elements will be destroyed including lead bobs in three points u//c models. And take really care - protect the bath any by-users, especially children and pets. It is really harmful and can kill (if swalled) or can blind.

Cheers

J-W''

That stuff looks like it shouldn't be let out of Porton Down. :crosseyed: 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

How many kits say in 10 years have you shown the bin or abandoned ?

Mine is 1 in ten years. approx 30 kits built. Logic says 1 in 30

Laurie

In my case, it's the first four since I restarted the hobby. I've learned, and number five is coming along nicely.

I've just scrapped a 1/48 Monogram Hornet that I've been building on and off over the last year or so, I just wasn't happy with the way the build was progressing, I've stripped it of all useful parts and it will now become a paint mule for me to practice my painting and weathering skills on, particularly as there are more than a few kits in the stash that will be need a US Navy TPS scheme.

Don't bin it put it to use :thumbsup2:

hi All,

put the Model aside ....one day .....one day when all is jaded........ you'll reach for this Model Kit

and continue the attention it deserves .  they all do ! .........( aaassssoo ! Grasshopper  ! )

thats modellin' !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Take them out side stuff them with  Bangers :wicked: or blast them to bits with a air rifle  :whistle:

This is how most of my builds ended up when I was a kid. Of about 200 ish built only maybe 15 or so survive to this day. The rest ended up on the range or blown to bits.

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, Vinnie said:

'WP' ? :hmmm:

It is indeed 'Waste Paper', as in Waste Paper Bin.  Too many years spent working in an office.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, Hepster said:

...Too many kits in the stash to waste time on failures...

I like your thinking - agree 100%

58 minutes ago, Hepster said:

It is indeed 'Waste Paper', as in Waste Paper Bin.  Too many years spent working in an office.

Such a come down. I thought it was going to be the latest scientific meaning  :lalala:

Laurie

1 hour ago, Hepster said:

'Waste Paper'

Ahh, I took it to mean ‘Willie Pete’.:D

Ashamed to say that there’s a dark corner up in the loft filled with numerous boxes of failures and kits that I just got bored with. It was just way too easy to just stick them out of sight and forget about them.

The weird thing is that I try to convince myself that I’ll actually get round to finishing them knowing full well that I doubt I ever will.:(

Mart

There's always ebay.  One man's trash is another's treasure and when you see some of the appalling tat that's listed as "pro build" going for a fair few quid, you tend to think it could be money for old rope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Wooksta! said:

There's always ebay.  One man's trash is another's treasure and when you see some of the appalling tat that's listed as "pro build" going for a fair few quid, you tend to think it could be money for old rope.

I am NO expert builder (or indeed very good at it) but I saw a 1/48 stuka (built) for sale for like 25 quid starting price and the tailwheel was still the original plastic colour and some of the stenciling hadn't been applied.

even mines turned out better than that ;)

Edited by Lawzer

I use them for airbrush practice. I have a Zvezda Mig-23 and a Matchbox Tempest which I tried to  convert to a Seafury. Yes, I know, but I was 13 at the time and they looked so similar 😊 

I do feel kind of bad for the Tempest. It's still a nice kit and quite rare these days. I might just try to salvage it one day, although most of the small parts have disappeared over the past 20 years.