"Oooh Matron" It's a P-38 Lightning with a saucy paint job in 1/48

I'm just making a start on the little airfix P51D in 1/72 . Would it be easy to change decor to Scat IV? Sounds fairly plain. Any pics or references? I'm going for nmf anyway!

PS, I just had a look up my P38s pants and guess what..

no green! I wasn't being lazy, I was being accurate!

Silver doors and wells.

Result! You boys, try to keep up...😉

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 2

Here's a quote from Dana Bell on this Hyperscale thread regarding P-38 wheel well colors:

"As a general rule of thumb, after mid-1942 you should expect AAF wheel well to be something other than aluminum paint. In some cases, they were left unpainted Alclad sheet, which (for modeling purposes) is just about the same thing. Other aircraft used a coat of primer (yellow), two coats of primer (green), or a coat of lacquer (usually Neutral Gray, but there are documented cases of Dull Dark Green and Bronze Green). For P-38Js, I've only seen Neutral Gray, but perhaps later production included some NMF (in a farsighted attempt to save a future modeler the angst of repainting his 92% completed kit...)"

• Like 2

As I have stated, the doors were NMF OR aluminium paint. The point I am making is they were NOT green or grey. The evidence is in the film clips.

I'm not starting a war, merely helping out fellow modellers to produce an accurate model.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm just making a start on the little airfix P51D in 1/72 . Would it be easy to change decor to Scat IV? Sounds fairly plain. Any pics or references? I'm going for nmf anyway!

PS, I just had a look up my P38s pants and guess what..

no green! I wasn't being lazy, I was being accurate!

Silver doors and wells.

Result! You boys, try to keep up...😉

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SS72807

out of stock

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2003/may/new-releases/ced48198p.jpg

This is Scat III but IV was similar.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I'm not starting a war, merely helping out fellow modellers to produce an accurate model.

Yes, I believe we've probably posted enough about landing gear bay colors for a dozen P-38 threads! Sorry Johnny, and nice video finds Bentwaters.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Nope. Not green. NMF or painted aluminium.

Thanks for your help, I've been reading up on this. A lot of people are saying there is evidence of metal finish or grey paint. Is this something you came across in your research? The grey wells?

thanks in ad advance. 

John grey

ps. Ok all the other replies just popped up. Gimmie 5 :blink:

OK. Looks like silver to me. I'll head that way. Pitty though I liked the green look.

thanks guys you're ace. :)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks for your help, I've been reading up on this. A lot of people are saying there is evidence of metal finish or grey paint. Is this something you came across in your research? The grey wells?

thanks in ad advance. 

John grey

ps. Ok all the other replies just popped up. Gimmie 5 :blink:

OK. Looks like silver to me. I'll head that way. Pitty though I liked the green look.

thanks guys you're ace. :)

I will thank you both again, guys

Knowing before you start painting is pretty useful.

Will look at the video. :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Well bits and pieces done over yesterday and this morning.

we had the nose stuffed full o' lead.

9AA8A8B4-3A37-48B0-BB09-771AD74F8D28_zpsw9mg0fo1

and popped on the front.

5864072F-C7D8-4E04-B580-01F1690FC85F_zpsdypnp23s

now here's one place where I cock up, I seem to have been sanding away the panel lines that need to be there.:banghead:

what a plonker. So time to re-scribe.

BB3C2112-16B1-419F-B507-AAA12224C81E_zps9uxyqfle

and the side.

0CDD5B7E-7161-4305-A2FA-090052515983_zps2c7ynccj

needs a bit of clean up but I'm a little more happy. I decided to pop some fasteners on the cowl using heated rod.

989E981A-89C6-4AEE-A6EC-6E8AB821B1AD_zpstdnudo96

never done this before but seemed to be the easiest method for what I wanted.:ninja:

4298B414-CABE-49BC-97B6-82B0767453A9_zpstb3gl6s9

and there we are. :guitar: I added one more at the lower left side as I noticed there were two on my ref pics. Looks pretty good, I'll se what she's like under a primer coat.

not so much luck on the other side. I scribed too low and couldn't live with it so I've filled and started again. :fish: I'll be happy later when it's done and dry. As I now have to wait for that to cure I can finish off the wells. The soon to be silver wells. I created a plasticard hinge and dry fitted with blu tack.

72FA1271-77C4-49BF-8143-E6FBD4E1E620_zps0gq5jtke

not bad. (Well good enough for me) 

i cut another three drilled em out and glued.

B278A69D-C357-43CF-B642-52686F35527C_zpsdz1e6lpw

that should hold in place later.

I cut the rest.(can you spot the mistake?)

4C941FF4-7654-4A1E-9F27-2C4BE4D68D60_zpsttcw67bx

yup I cut too many.:toilet: Doh!

never mind, I picked the best and fitted them in place.

D0617CDB-90E6-413D-BEDB-AB1E169182D5_zpsbi2d5q3k

some more PE added as the wells will be silver I've added these now.

I wasn't happy with my removal of the front gear door pin marks I sanded off the detail and scuffs and punched new  discs. 

5A4EB85F-32A3-4571-9B82-34F43A09A74C_zpsqa8oneqw

I popped the hinges on that bit and built up the actuators for each end. This required me to add the 10mm rod seen here. I'll assemble after paining.

C60C4878-F523-492F-B1EE-549927A0CD11_zps5w3anopv

Soooooo many bits. No wonder it's taking forever.

1AF678F0-08FD-4DEB-93C3-1C37F198E438_zpsrdjsnvvt

and a bit closer.

071D2A1B-C124-4AB2-BBEE-BA45286AFE4F_zps

Now primer. The kids are hungry so I'm bound for lunch duties. "Eggs in purgatory"  they loves it!

more later.

thanks for dropping by. Hope you're all having a fab Bank holiday.

Happy Modelling dudes.

Johnny Silver 

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 16

Hello Spad,

Eggs in purgatory ???

What's this ?

I wish to thank the guys from New Zealand.

I'll cook this

WP_20170417_15_09_59_ProWP_20170417_15_10_09_Pro

Great and many thanks to all the hobbits who take care of that would be delicious sheep !

See you later.

Corsaircorp

• Like 3

On 17/04/2017 at 1:11 PM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Ploughing ahead Johnny. Nice touch with the heated rod; will bank that should I ever move into the 1/48 scale. You need a lot of lead in that nose too right?! All the wheel bay covers are looking great and well worth the investment in brass parts... Mine are green though :o 

JB

Thanks. I'm sure yours will look better than mine. I really liked the bright green I had got planned. Alas I will endeavour to make the silver as good as I can.

On 17/04/2017 at 2:22 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Eggs in purgatory ???

What's this ?

I wish to thank the guys from New Zealand.

I'll cook this

WP_20170417_15_09_59_ProWP_20170417_15_10_09_Pro

Great and many thanks to all the hobbits who take care of that would be delicious sheep !

See you later.

Corsaircorp

Hya C.

This is EIP 

372C2F15-7C6A-48D1-AA0D-1FD44D87450B_zpsd7hkl18k

simple dish, garlic, smoked chilli flakes, tomatoes (plum) and an egg or two. Season and add Parmesan. Lovely. :guitar:

alas I am a Vegetarian so the lamb is not my particular bag. Although I'm sure it'll be smashing. :lol:

On 17/04/2017 at 2:27 PM, giemme said:

Great progress, John! :clap: I may steal away your idea for fasteners, looks pretty effective! :worthy: 

Ciao

Thanks G.

I couldn't a little more work to see how they turned out. :party:

Bits primed.

52A7102A-7E89-4E86-9215-800B36A5A9D7_zpsuvsr513v

looking good.

77E9461D-8382-41E8-934C-5B90C6CC99F1_zpszg5khk8u

one side with a quick shot of primer. A little attention and I think were there.

i re scribed and did the same on tother side.

46B66D0D-A634-4AFB-BD79-87DB459767DB_zps5m2haybr

not to shabby. A bit of over zealous rod prodding. (Ced you there?)  to sort out and I think it'll be good to go.

right I need to pop out for a bit now.

take care.

hopefully a tad more later.

Johnny rod.:dalek1: btw I do hope we all watched the new Doctor who last night.  :lol:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 16

Nice work Johnny. Just read through the whole thread, and you're doing some stunning work. 

Looks like you're having a better bank holiday than me. Just spent 3 hours changing the front discs and pads on an astra. Could think of much better things to do.

Looking forward to the next installment. 

Matt

• Like 2

Johnny,

I like your method of making fasteners.  Can I check something, though?

You refer to using a heated rod.  Do you actually mean heated TUBE?  It's just the pics show a circle with a raised pip in the centre - and a very realistic fastener, too.  My experience of using a heated rod us that one gets a hole, nothing in the middle!

Just curious ...

Jonny

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

Johnny,

I like your method of making fasteners.  Can I check something, though?

You refer to using a heated rod.  Do you actually mean heated TUBE?  It's just the pics show a circle with a raised pip in the centre - and a very realistic fastener, too.  My experience of using a heated rod us that one gets a hole, nothing in the middle!

Just curious ...

Jonny

Ahh yes sorry for the confusion. The only rods I have are tubes. It was a set of brass rods, dang! Tubes I bought when I built my Emil. So yes apologies for the waffling.

tubes, yes, hence the pip. :lol:

john.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Nice work Johnny. Just read through the whole thread, and you're doing some stunning work. 

Looks like you're having a better bank holiday than me. Just spent 3 hours changing the front discs and pads on an astra. Could think of much better things to do.

Looking forward to the next installment. 

Matt

Thanks Matt.

I remember changing breaks on my old Astra. :wacko: Not a fun job, much better to be building little plastic aeroplanes eh. :nodding:

atb

johnny

• Like 1

More sterling work Johnny. Like the technique for the fasteners. Etch work looks the business. Don't worry about the excess hinges, they will come in handy one day. Also don't worry about rubbing out the panel lines faux pas, I think your re-scribed jobs are an improvement. Oh as an aside I had a leg of lamb rubbed and marinated in Harissa paste for my Easter lunch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

A bit of over zealous rod prodding. (Ced you there?)

Always a problem dear boy... Score 1 fnaar fnaar!

That said the fasteners look great, as do the other bits; good job Roddy!

• Like 2

Scribing and fastening looking fone and dandy there. I could hear band music when looking at those 'March of the Parts on the Polystyrene Block' photos...:D

Nice work Johnny boy.

Tony

• Like 1

On 17/04/2017 at 8:26 PM, Tomoshenko said:

More sterling work Johnny. Like the technique for the fasteners. Etch work looks the business. Don't worry about the excess hinges, they will come in handy one day. Also don't worry about rubbing out the panel lines faux pas, I think your re-scribed jobs are an improvement. Oh as an aside I had a leg of lamb rubbed and marinated in Harissa paste for my Easter lunch.

Thanks Tomo. My spares box is getting a little Crazy, but if you chuck it you might need it. :wacko: hope lunch was good. I love harissa.

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Always a problem dear boy... Score 1 fnaar fnaar!

That said the fasteners look great, as do the other bits; good job Roddy!

Thanks Ced. Thought you'd like that.;)

21 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Lovely work. And I'll add my appreciation for the rod/fastener technique. Very nice!

Thanks. I saw some other folks using heated rod and tubes for making fasteners and laser marks and loads of stuff so I thought what the hell.:lol:

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Scribing and fastening looking fone and dandy there. I could hear band music when looking at those 'March of the Parts on the Polystyrene Block' photos...:D

Nice work Johnny boy.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Tell me about it, it's like three two mini cockpits in the wheel wells. What thecactual hell? :o then again it's nothing compared to your insides. If you catch my drift. ^_^

Johnny.

• Like 1