"Oooh Matron" It's a P-38 Lightning with a saucy paint job in 1/48

Just a quickie. I'm playing around with light chipping and some staining before I mat coat the anti glare and other parts. I'm using water colour pencils, I can wash it all off if I don't like it but I wondered what you guys thought?

E9C1BEA1-CA92-4F9C-9853-832E8908AD18_zpsgxkjfvk2

8ADC283E-96FD-408C-851B-FC802241B6D4_zpsnxrpgqbr

6DAA1244-6722-4073-8FD2-B2C9A1F416BC_zpsn1vicwfy

Oh I got the UC out and the nose UC on.

she stands on her little legs and everything. :christmas:

Thanks for popping by.

johnny pencil.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 12

This is the silver wc pencil, right? That's pretty effective, and very controllable too.

The fact that it can be removed without wrecking everything is an advantage - you can experiment without risking the whole shebang.

And no nasty solvents! 

You could on to something here.

Bit of colouring in - and great results. Nice one, johnny!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

This is the silver wc pencil, right? That's pretty effective, and very controllable too.

The fact that it can be removed without wrecking everything is an advantage - you can experiment without risking the whole shebang.

And no nasty solvents! 

You could on to something here.

Bit of colouring in - and great results. Nice one, johnny!

Yes I have used the silver one for chips, and a black and brown and red for little scratches and rust marks. Some light staining around the vents. I'm still not convinced. Might rub it out and start again. But thanks. :lol:

• Like 2

Hey Johnny - that looks really nice! 

Your subtle chipping and stains on anti glare and along the panel lines are beautiful.

The only thing I would probably improve is chipping on the tails... May be it is just the photo lights - but it seems the colour and the pattern make those look a little bit artificial. However you may have a very good reference photo for that but just because you asked - I had a quick look and found some interesting pictures of weathered P-38. Please do not take my comments too seriously as we all here to enjoy what we and others do :)

I couldn't find many pictures with chipping, but those I found show that it accumulates around propellers and at the front of engine nacelles. It also appears on the front of the nose and some subtle along the hatches:

Arch_Vapor_Flash_ON09_zpses333dk6.jpg - Chipping on engine nacelles

65bcc31580e39303362d40fbdf844a36_zpsz0c6 - Chipping at the blade root

P-38G_Lightning_42-13437_the_Golden_Eagl - chipping on the front of the nose.

Note the art is quite worn! Could be interesting to replicate on the model.

Of course extensive stains and worn you may find on top of the wing next to the cockpit:

media-376987_zpsblpdwt6q.jpg

P-38_worldwartwo.filminspector.com_5_zps

And here are some stains and soot behind the superchargers:

P-38-prang-riviera_1945_zpsxcwza3wy.jpg

P-38_2_zpsynm02vkq.jpg

Actually none of the pictures show any chipping on the tails, however, interestingly, especially the last two pictures show stains (smoke/soot traces) on both tails. 

Also, have a look at the last picture - lower part of each tail show some discoloration again probably due to high temperature exhausts

Hope you don't find my comments annoying. :blush:

• Like 6

It all looks very effective John :clap:  :clap:  If I may add my :2c: , I'd have reverted the order of washing and chipping (chipoing first, I mean), I find it helps sort of "blending" the chipping in

Ciao

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vadim said:

May be it is just the photo lights - but it seems the colour and the pattern make those look a little bit artificial.

+1. The chipping around the cowlings and anti glare panels is excellent, I'm just not convinced on the fins.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Nice trick with the pencils 👍🏿

What and where are they from? 

I bought the silver ones from Amazon. The other ones were from Smiths. Just regular water colour pencils. I lick em and draw on the model, you can use a brush or a cotton bud to smudge or wipe off.  Really nice to be able to rub out mistakes. :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, giemme said:

It all looks very effective John :clap:  :clap:  If I may add my :2c: , I'd have reverted the order of washing and chipping (chipoing first, I mean), I find it helps sort of "blending" the chipping in

Ciao

Thanks.

You might be right, it's easy to blend in these pencils though. I'll see how it goes.

Johnny

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vadim said:

Your subtle chipping and stains on anti glare and along the panel lines are beautiful.

The only thing I would probably improve is chipping on the tails... May be it is just the photo lights - but it seems the colour and the pattern make those look a little bit artificial. However you may have a very good reference photo for that but just because you asked - I had a quick look and found some interesting pictures of weathered P-38. Please do not take my comments too seriously as we all here to enjoy what we and others do :)

I couldn't find many pictures with chipping, but those I found show that it accumulates around propellers and at the front of engine nacelles. It also appears on the front of the nose and some subtle along the hatches:

Arch_Vapor_Flash_ON09_zpses333dk6.jpg - Chipping on engine nacelles

65bcc31580e39303362d40fbdf844a36_zpsz0c6 - Chipping at the blade root

P-38G_Lightning_42-13437_the_Golden_Eagl - chipping on the front of the nose.

Of course extensive stains and worn you may find on top of the wing next to the cockpit:

media-376987_zpsblpdwt6q.jpg

P-38-prang-riviera_1945_zpsxcwza3wy.jpg

P-38_2_zpsynm02vkq.jpg

Actually none of the pictures show any chipping on the tails, however, interestingly, especially the last two pictures show stains (smoke/soot traces) on both tails. 

Also, have a look at the last picture - lower part of each tail show some discoloration again probably due to high temperature exhausts

Wow V thanks for all that ref!!:lol: I'm terrible and never look for ref like that mid way through a build. I don't know why.

I think you're right, I'll wipe off the chipping on the tail tonight. I haven't got to the turbo staining yet so I might add that to the tail. Your comments are on no way annoying all help is good help, especially when I can rub out my mistakes. ;) Thank you so much for digging out all those pics. I'll be sure to put em to good use.

johnny

• Like 2

Thank guys for all your input into this. It's all very greatly appreciated.

I managed to take it back to basics. I have a plan, because the tip of the pencil is a bit thick and gives blobby marks as seen on the tail, I shaved off some of the lead with a blade and mixed with water and applied with a thin brush. Any way sorry if I'm treading old ground but here is where she is of now.

5D9E18F9-FE61-4FE9-AA73-F2B2F5495C90_zps9bcoearr

i think it looks a lot better and here is the tail sans scratches. I added slight ware on the star too.

C9F99738-2943-461E-B216-FB2A69EFBC8A_zpsfclolw1k

I'm a bit pooped after work so I'm headed for wine.

thanks for all your p38 love.

happy Modelling guys.

Johnny try before you buy.:yahoo:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 15

Thanks for all your help guys. It seems like  order of work on the P38 is little and often as not to get too much grief from my better half. -_- Tonight's task was supprisingly another new technique. After the pencil shaving escapade I decided to see if I could do the same with Tamiya pigments. You know use em like water colours. :eat:

I did the turbocharger stains on the booms. 

8834FE89-D8C2-4C14-8FA9-EC00AEBC1990_zpsjdtkj1ln

CCC7DAB6-9BB8-4123-9C07-F1F3BF5385FF_zpsnx2oxndg

Once again subtlety is on the menu, if I still like it tomorrow I'll add a little to the tail fins too. I quite like the sandy tone and the heated metal look, I used "rust" "sand" and "the black one":blush: coal I think.

oh I got the window sanded and fitted in, there it is look. I've masked the top one too. I also built a little rolled down window from plasticard. I'll take some snaps tomorrow.

Thanks for popping in.

Johnny Short and sweet.-_-

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 12

Hello Spad,

Very nice painting and chipping ! Really enjoyed the thread.

I was off for some days, recovering from my battle wounds :whistle:

Lots of brand new scars ! Jaw is easing a bit !

Will resume work in my P-38s

Great Thanks to Vadim, nice photos !

Very helpfull !

You did great :yes:

Nice house too and good poultry, I missed it but we have far too more foxes all around !

See you later,

Take care of your back, I know far too much how it can be painfull !

Sincerely.

Cordaircorp

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:46, Vadim said:

- Chipping on engine nacelles

- Chipping at the blade root

- chipping on the front of the nose.

Thank you Vadim,

I really enjoy the photo, especially this one showing a P-38M

Did'nt know that they did'nt paint the area around the superchargers.

Thank for the tip,

my night Lightning will be more realistic !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2