"Oooh Matron" It's a P-38 Lightning with a saucy paint job in 1/48

51 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's shaping up to be something special Johnny.

Agreed 100%. :clap: And great fix for the see-through :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Great work as usual! I am still seriously impressed with the cockpit.

Martian

Thanks oh globulous one. (That's a good thing) (globulous) :king:

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too, and the interior framing on the canopies.

John

Thanks. :lol:

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

Lovely! That black looks great, even if it is just temporary.

I know, I thought that too.

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work on the see-through problem John.

And they look sexy in black, Fnar.

Simon.

Thanks, never under estimate quiche foil.

;)

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's shaping up to be something special Johnny.

Why thank you sir.

22 minutes ago, giemme said:

Agreed 100%. :clap: And great fix for the see-through :worthy:

Ciao

:yes:

19 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Looks beautiful mate! Really nice work, and I think 'beautiful bitch' will set this off a treat. 

Rob

Thanks. Yes I'm glad I went for that one. 

:headphones:

• Like 1

Aaaaargh couldn't wait! I just had to share. I've had a bit of a nightmare but after a few hold yer breath moments we are in a happy place. :nerdy:

I sprayed the Vallejo and it looked.....well it looked really shiny, loved it.:rainbow:

FB15A525-7196-4F04-90ED-C8BCE3378C57_zpshcvjh9h6

01EEC9E4-205A-4767-9044-52223678906F_zps671fbzk9

3ADCA16B-BD1E-46B1-8C52-61F98F29C77D_zpsw7mz7xqj

Really happy with the look, not exactly as good as the mule but good enough. I let it dry and tried to coat with Vallejo metal varnish. Now Sod's law says if I need something to work... well you know the rest.:sad: my top coat airbrush just wouldn't work, blocked I guess. I cleaned it took it apart re assembled but nothing, it just won't suck up the stuff to spray out? Any ideas you lot? It's a bottle one, not gravity fed. Any way I used my priming brush instead and the Vallejo varnish was having a real tough time being sprayed and I ended up sloshing some on the wing.:think:

Intictively rubbed it back with my finger. Big mistake, the silver came right off. :tmi:

so I had to struggle with the rest of the varnish before trying to fix the mark.

I sprayed some silver over the mark

but it left an obvious shiny splodge and a ghost of where the mark had been. "Drat and double drat.:worry: I sprayed more Vallejo in a hope to save the splodged wing but no joy. I decided to let it all dry back and top coat in Tamiya gloss instead. This looked a lot better but I could still see the silver variation and mark. Not happy.

It will be the last time I use Vallejo metal varnish as it's not really gloss and it's not as good as Tamiya in my opinion. :swear:

I decided to take the risk and cut a hole in a paper sheet in an attempt to mask and re spray flat silver over the gloss and level up the colours.

Huzzar it worked! I didn't take any pics of the struggle as I was in a bit of a panic but as it ended alright I took this pic by the window and tidied up. 

AE59C6BE-AFE3-4507-BC0D-51E990D0C31F_zpsexzumtbu

Im happy with that again. Time for a brew.

hope you like the silver, I do now it's not got a splodgy wing. :punch: I'll let her dry then I can mask up for the olive and yellow.

Thanks for looking.

Happy Modelling you guys.

Johnny panic

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 15

12 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Looks like she has come out perfect after your struggle, really nice work mate. 

Rob

Thanks yes Rob. I did manage to make a bit of a pigs ear of things to begin with. Ill leave it be for a while to settle now. 

• Like 2

Great save Johnny. I always have some form of cock up with the sliver on NMF models... I think it's modelling law :worry:

As for the brush, it could be a number of things but as I'm sure you know it's nearly always a blockage or something is just not assembled quite right, particularly if it has rubber seals. My matt varnish airbrush is a cheapy one I got with my compressor which only ever has Vallejo matt sprayed through it and cleaned with water. This is bottle-fed and can be a sod. I had to pick some of the congealed matt coat out of it earlier before I could use it on SCAT II. My more expensive iWata doesn't have any o-rings so is much more forgiving but then only paint goes through that one!

I invested in a ultrasonic bath which I disassemble and drop the air brushes in occasionally and that keeps them cleaner longer. Think it was only about £30 from Amazon. Get the solution as well though.

Anyway - enjoying this and you're catching up :)

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work on the see-through problem John.

And they look sexy in black, Fnar.

Simon.

Hello Simon,

This is precisely why, one of my P-38 will be ... black

Fnar fnar fnar !!!

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Hello Spad,

Good ... I must say that..;:angry::blink::angry::undecided:

As I read your thread, I just mind myself... "Oh S.... I closed one of the Monogram boom, so what about mine ????"

WP_20170501_21_52_54_Pro

Problem...

I make my quiche myself !:rofl::poke:

Will buy one for the modelling's cause or find another way to fix it.

My mock up radiators are blocking only a part of the view, luckylly, the 3 last booms are not closed yet.:bangin:

Have a very nice day.

Sincerely.

PS; Glad that you've enjoyed the beer festival, what is the average voltage of your homebrew beer ?

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

"Greased Lightning, go Quiche Lightning..."

Another Spadulous rollercoaster of updates to tittivate the punters. Bravo on assorted recovery efforts: I live in permanent horror of paint glitches so honour you for your cool head in such a situation!

I've never tried Vallejo stuff - largely as nowhere in these parts does it - so always vicariously interested to see how others get on with the stuff.

To paraphrase the immortal words of Hawkwind: "You've got a Silver Machine" (rpt. For five minutes...)

Keep it up boyo, you're doing great things!

Tony

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Great save Johnny. I always have some form of cock up with the sliver on NMF models... I think it's modelling law :worry:

As for the brush, it could be a number of things but as I'm sure you know it's nearly always a blockage or something is just not assembled quite right, particularly if it has rubber seals. My matt varnish airbrush is a cheapy one I got with my compressor which only ever has Vallejo matt sprayed through it and cleaned with water. This is bottle-fed and can be a sod. I had to pick some of the congealed matt coat out of it earlier before I could use it on SCAT II. My more expensive iWata doesn't have any o-rings so is much more forgiving but then only paint goes through that one!

I invested in a ultrasonic bath which I disassemble and drop the air brushes in occasionally and that keeps them cleaner longer. Think it was only about £30 from Amazon. Get the solution as well though.

Anyway - enjoying this and you're catching up :)

Yes, I wish it wasn't but it does always seem to happen.:blink: thanks for the hint on the bath. My gloss brush is one of the two cheep ones that came with my compressor. I dug out loads of gunk which is odd as I always clean it. But nothing, it's clear and can see all my poking pipes from all angles. Madness, I might be the o rings? I'll check.

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice save again John.

I hope that is the last of your troubles.

Looking great.

Simon. 

Yes me too.:tmi:

51 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Simon,

This is precisely why, one of my P-38 will be ... black

Fnar fnar fnar !!!

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Ooh nice!

33 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Good ... I must say that..;:angry::blink::angry::undecided:

As I read your thread, I just mind myself... "Oh S.... I closed one of the Monogram boom, so what about mine ????"

WP_20170501_21_52_54_Pro

Problem...

I make my quiche myself !:rofl::poke:

Will buy one for the modelling's cause or find another way to fix it.

My mock up radiators are blocking only a part of the view, luckylly, the 3 last booms are not closed yet.:bangin:

Have a very nice day.

Sincerely.

PS; Glad that you've enjoyed the beer festival, what is the average voltage of your homebrew beer ?

Corsaircorp

Yes I make quiche too I forget why we bought this one, camping I think? but I kept the metal from last year. ;)

i don't know why this hasn't cropped up in other p38 builds. Glad you caught the last few booms so you can make a fix.

as for beer it ranged from around 4% right up to a 10% lots of lovely Belgian beers too. 

24 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

Silver is looking spiffingly good Johnny. Fantastic result. 

Matt

Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

"Greased Lightning, go Quiche Lightning..."

Another Spadulous rollercoaster of updates to tittivate the punters. Bravo on assorted recovery efforts: I live in permanent horror of paint glitches so honour you for your cool head in such a situation!

I've never tried Vallejo stuff - largely as nowhere in these parts does it - so always vicariously interested to see how others get on with the stuff.

To paraphrase the immortal words of Hawkwind: "You've got a Silver Machine" (rpt. For five minutes...)

Keep it up boyo, you're doing great things!

Tony

Thanks for the kind words daddio. eBay is a good outlet for the vajello, but it don't half make you hanker for a good old camo scheme. A lot less bovva. 

;)

• Like 1

One last May Day update as the rain has persisted. I couldn't resist a bit of post shading to get the weathering under way.

so on with a little light smoke.

3A09C736-90A9-4E00-A012-A4EE305C34F7_zpsfwtrjayi

187E5C4C-9DFC-40B9-BE17-B5D82BB2C950_zpscfpc2vq9

it looks a little heavy on that top wing but is ok in person. It'll all get toned down and mixed in as the passes get added to.

FE095FD3-3164-434F-B243-260CED82D24E_zpsyewpcsls

but as much as its s right old pain there ain't nowt like a diver bird.:lol:

thats all for today. Another cuppa me thinks.

Take care and have a lovely evening.

Johhny fade.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 14

Wow, you've been BUSY Johnny - great progress, disasters averted and now a lovely model sitting there waiting for the final bits of attention.

Good job Sir! :) 

• Like 1

Well, that scared me. I'm emotionally exhausted....

You guys, how do your nerves hold out doing this stuff?

I'm gonna carry on faffing about with bits of sticky aluminium foil. I haven't got the bottle, or the equipment for it.

But I love what you're doing.

Good save there!

• Like 3

Hello Spad,

Nice job, I really like it.

Are you going to make some panelling ?

Take care and havanizzday !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Good save Johnny. That cockpit looks the business. Silver is very nice and the weathering I coming along too, silver being particularly difficult to weather convincingly (well for anyhow). Have a pint of Enville on me.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2017 at 8:37 PM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

NMF looks great - as the other gentlemen have said, no evidence of yesterdays fun! Bump on CC's comment - any panel variations to come... go on! Anyhow looking splendid.

On 02/05/2017 at 5:34 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Nice job, I really like it.

Are you going to make some panelling ?

Take care and havanizzday !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Sorry pesky life getting in the way again. ;) yes I'll be doing some panel variation and panel lines and all that Jazz. This is just the base coat. 

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'll try and get an Enville in Tomo. ;) hope every one is having a great week.

ill try and catch up tomorrow.

johnny work! 

• Like 5