"Oooh Matron" It's a P-38 Lightning with a saucy paint job in 1/48

Great work on the undercarriage and wheel wells! The detail is exceptional particularly when I compare to my 1/72 kit but as to be expected of course. I must have a go at 1/48 scale one day but just concerned as to where to display/store it. What do you chaps do? I usually end up buying display cases from Trumpeter for the models that turn out well. The rest go on eBay...

• Like 1

On 21/04/2017 at 10:31 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Like a refillable teabag you put your exotic tealeaves in and dunk it? That IS posh! Well, it was before it was cut up to fulfill a higher calling and destiny 

So I can source them in many colours and sizes.

Might take a few along to next club meeting, see if anyone else uses them.

I gotta say they really look the business on your lighting 

Thanks.  They are useful for such things.

922CAD8E-115B-4164-B485-E8730F736B30_zpspbczlp7x

this was the one I used. Tea drank first obvs.B)

johnny tea

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Great work on the undercarriage and wheel wells! The detail is exceptional particularly when I compare to my 1/72 kit but as to be expected of course. I must have a go at 1/48 scale one day but just concerned as to where to display/store it. What do you chaps do? I usually end up buying display cases from Trumpeter for the models that turn out well. The rest go on eBay...

Thanks. I keep mine in a display case I bought on eBay. They live in the cave. I done think I could sell em. :o

Jont

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Drinking fancy tea instead of putting it straight in the compost bin? You are a braver man than me. 

Build coming on nicely too BTW.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, celt said:

I throw most of my models away,too be fair mine are not up to the standard of yours and the others on this forum.BTW still enthralled.:popcorn::drink:

I can't like that. You shouldn't throw em away. It's nice to keep them to see how you improve. By the by, glad you're enjoying the build.

Johnny.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I can't like that. You shouldn't throw em away. It's nice to keep them to see how you improve. By the by, glad you're enjoying the build.

Johnny.

I used to give them to my nephew,but now they get put in the council recycling bag.Who knows perhaps they will go to make other kits.:D

• Like 1

throw them away? I never thought of doing that - I just hang them from the ceiling. Well unless they get totally flattened before they get there.

(Unable to do any modelling this weekend - Saturday gaining brownie points with SWMBO, Sunday took a trip to Wembley Stadium....)

• Like 1

On 23/04/2017 at 11:10, The Spadgent said:

Johnny.

Now, I was thinking the same - Celt's solution to lack of storage seems inappropriate. The journey may be more important than the destination, but binning them is wrong on many levels.

That was until this evening....

I masked up my little P38, but can't spray yet, so I looked around for something to fiddle with. Spotted a kit lbought on a whim, and had a look.....

Brace yourselves.....

It's an F80 Shooting Star 1/48, by Lindberg.

OK OK get up.

I didn't know, nobody told me....

So it's going in the bin without a drop of glue wasted on its sorry bottom, and it's a lesson learnt.

I have never seen such a pitiful wretch of a kit.

So, Celt, I may have out - binned you!

Seriously though , you need to respect your work more 

• Like 2

Hi rob Lyttle,most of my kits end up in the plastic recycling bag and very few make it to my shelves,the main reason is I am not that good a modeller and prefer not have my failures around to taunt me.:(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, celt said:

Hi rob Lyttle,most of my kits end up in the plastic recycling bag and very few make it to my shelves,the main reason is I am not that good a modeller and prefer not have my failures around to taunt me.:(

Hello Celt,

Don't be too hard on yourself, lots of my kits are gone to kids, they play with as toys.

I no longer can do this, I wait for my little own museum to be started...

Some kits go to my local club and began touring some expositions, that's that, when I get them back, there's always Something lost or broked.. That's life..

But It's a way to share my work with others..

Have a very nice day.

Back at my models tomorrow for just one evening:worry:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Hey you  guuyyyyssssss.

thanks for keeping the thread alive while I was gone. You're all ace. Celt I've just seen your last build and it's great. ;) don't you dare chuck it. 

My word it seems like ages, Apologies for no posts I've been super busy at work after my break away moving project for a short while. Any way tonight I managed to scratch my Modelling itch. :clap2: let's begin.  

First off I tried to fit the wells into the booms, not such a great fit so I had to trim some edges and fitting points but managed to get one side in first.

F931393B-91BB-420E-9B45-82EBB5205C59_zpssrxagwwn

Then a little more trimming and I pegged strapped and glued it in place.

D7D5A22C-3F2D-4DAC-8E04-8512755B6BA9_zpso84sqe46

at last they're together.:lol:

oh by the way the new package turned up while I was in Cardiff.

7351EDAA-6824-415F-92D8-5504787E8E84_zpsaaghzsx1

That's it now. I don't think I can buy any extra bits anyway.:blush: but what the hell you only live once right. £5 well spent.

moving on we have dried glue. :D

B4B8019D-80CA-456E-9144-B810F9F6952F_zpspptpn2gk

dont worry the black

edge is the vent spray from inside. I'm planning on adding the booms now then fixing all the seams at the same time.

one boom on.

6B1F9CF3-3585-4235-87A6-A9FEB327315B_zpsuvwton2y

aaaaand another.

FF109080-63D0-490A-A773-D7DA47CBE672_zpsdtl3twl2

all of a sudden she's coming together.^_^ then while snapping away I realise I haven't fitted the tail.:analintruder: so quickly I bend the still wet booms slightly to accommodate the sizeable rear end.

653DC2DE-525D-4DCE-BEB7-C792D02CA020_zps4ye9ybhi

and tape her in place. :heart:

phew. While waiting for that to dry I had look at the props. Now Academy would have me glue everything in and on and attach before painting. Now that ain't gonna happen, so I glued the little disc on to the back plate first in a hope it squeezed onto the post that was offered by the boom end section. No such luck so I decided to add a small strip of plasticard and glue it in place making the hole smaller hence a snug fit on the post.

59A06C4C-9E5D-4FF7-A2AE-962522DAB0D8_zpsgndzjlvi

and snipped.

F6D2DCFF-BA09-4292-B902-0C4AEC0963D2_zps3tvxkio1

this now squeezes onto the prop post in a similar fashion to the Tamiya rubber grommets. :lol:

Right now that's sorted I can move on to fitting the nacelles, they had been filled with lead just in case.

674B8F89-4204-46DA-83E6-9E02D468268E_zpsyeomscyi

and then glued on.

2B970DCB-CDE0-4446-98CA-2BEB6F93AC1E_zpspsfusbmt

a really good fit. Those prongs will now snugly fit the painted props. When I get around to painting em. :lol: she's really coming together now. I think the slow pace of the wells is now firmly behind me.

DDC5C986-2D4A-4994-BE72-BE59920E5E4D_zps2yabidwb

not wanting to leave it quite there I cleaned up and masked the front and rear canopies.

8F04CA99-FFBD-41B5-96EF-B0519F25CEDF_zpsq8eticdt

and did a quick dry fit.

C3DBC274-5B07-44B2-8090-FB3CA48923AF_zpsbmfkinge

there is a bit of a smudge :huh:, why do they put such BIG gates on clear parts? Not to worry as they bit will be painted.:innocent:

right that seems like a good place to finish for the night.

I'm glad we are looking more like an aeroplane now. All the other P38s seem to be leagues ahead.

hope you are all still enjoying the build.

thanks for dropping by tonight.

take care and Happy Modelling guys.

Johnny Booms.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 18

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 08:16, The Spadgent said:

Thanks.  They are useful for such things.

922CAD8E-115B-4164-B485-E8730F736B30_zps

johnny tea

I used to nick people for being in possession of stuff that looked like that!

Martian

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

Felonious Tea Brewing?  Assault with Intent to Brew?  Possession of Mood Altering Herbs?

• Like 5

Spadulous modellification! That looks a tasty kit all told.

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Pyramids? I knew you had 'em on Mars but didn't realize that your people were so hot on tracking down Earthmen plagiarists!

• Like 4

Excellent update Johnny :clap::clap:  She's really taking shape now!

3 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Possession of Mood Altering Herbs?

That's the one, I think :D I regard tea as that, anyway :coolio::D 

Ciao

• Like 2

8 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Possession of Mood Altering Herbs?

Well they looked like what's in the bag anyway!

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Spadulous modellification! That looks a tasty kit all told.

Pyramids? I knew you had 'em on Mars but didn't realize that your people were so hot on tracking down Earthmen plagiarists!

OK Baroness, I walked into that one didn't I!

Martian

• Like 2

19 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Felonious Tea Brewing?  Assault with Intent to Brew?  Possession of Mood Altering Herbs?

Yup, time to start another Boston tea party:rofl:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Hello Spad,

As usual, mine are miles behind...:whip:, snail pace.

Excellent Spadification, now it look the way it will be .

Will take a look back to the Wheel wells in trying to improve mines.

Keep up that fine job, Congrats :worthy:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1