"Oooh Matron" It's a P-38 Lightning with a saucy paint job in 1/48

Good evening everyone, a small update tonight. Most of today has been spent at Clent hills and over the local fields playing with the kids but what little spare time I got I did this..........

I pre shaded the well parts in preparation for the not green.:sick: I decided to make an executive decision on the colour of the wells. I'll show you after these pics of tea bags. :drunk:

1AF678F0-08FD-4DEB-93C3-1C37F198E438_zpsrdjsnvvt

@CedB had a bag from a wedding he was going to use as mesh, which gave me an idea.:frantic:I needed mesh for the newly hollowed out venty flap things on the side of the booms (official term) so snipity snip.

1140558B-DC3F-4ACF-B2B6-A17E3996C879_zpsqvgukjgj

there it is in the middle. They were called "tea pigs" I think. Then I glued em onto the sticky out bits in the central boom.

89847C6E-2DE1-4713-AFCD-E7744F7E572E_zps66nvonee

the marks are from the crocodile clips. They'll vanish once painted. If you zoom in you can see the mesh, looks quite good, fingers crossed it'll paint up ok.

right back to the wells. As much as it pained me not to paint these green, I really didn't want to do them Silver either as the rest of this lovely bird would be that colour. The pic I have in the decal book showed a nuteral grey well door so I figured what the hey. And went with that just to have some variation. The lovely shiny pipe in the middle will have some staining done to it before weathering. I'm not as happy as I would be if they were Kermit but it's at least nodding in the right direction.

71CA7B63-EA3F-40FC-BDCB-D3FC6D0E2FEC_zpsqcznqkfq

I know, I know it looks like primer but that grey for you. I'll gloss coat and Flory wash before I construct them properly. This is just balanced so don't worry about positions for now, there are also the actuators to be fitted but I'm damned if I can balance them.:o

Busy day tomorrow but hopefully some weather action on the afternoon. Btw. I caved last night and bought even more bits. (Can you guess what?)

thanks for stopping by. It's been fun.

Happy Modelling folks.

Johnny silver pipe.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 11

Hey guys. How's it going? I spent today taking my old man to the hospital to get his eye op sorted out and the rest of the day entertaining the kids. :penguin: This evening however I actually think apart from the sticking together bit I've actually finished the wells. :lol: about bloody time too. 

Before that I got these intake ends on.

15D0B1CE-E901-4F59-A77A-EB7FD934B43E_zpst6okcyyk

then decided I needed to get the UC looked at. Not bad actually but these pin marks are a pain and needed cleaning up.

740CFE66-D603-4837-A911-38E9D87A712C_zpsstvprcue

So there we go, cleaned up.;)

EDC5C00A-6C7C-477D-AFBD-46A7B644448E_zpstpsovek8

these have to be squeezed into the box by pinching the outside of the well to keep em in place, so I had planned on popping everything together before fitting into the boom but looking at how you can get to the outer box through the back of the boom I might get the assembly in now. All these little bits are doing my head in and I want some ruddy real progress. :frantic:

I got a wash idea from @Tony Oliverand his fabulous spitfire sextet this afternoon, a mixture of klear, water and acrylic brown and black. It looked great on his multiple pits so I thought I'd try it out here. I mucked up one side wall getting some tide marks but I think I dodged a bullet and got the hang of how the wash worked eventually. Here are the parts before top coat.

1C0C4F80-3135-4282-B2C9-BBEAA648D65C_zps3cfyjzmb

and after a Matt coat of Tamiya.

52416A45-1A05-4F3F-A098-AB8ECED05792_zpsqglp12oy

7703D84F-ABC4-4F57-95AF-17E462994215_zpssjtxtn60

AD86459F-9882-4033-AF68-4D9A4FEC56F1_zpsbxtgcvsn

apart from a few glitches I like the wash effect. Thanks Tony for the top tip.

I'll get all that together in the next update and hopefully move on in earnest with the real meat of this lovely bird.

Thanks for taking time to look at my endevours. As much as I want to speed along with this I'm just enjoying chipping away at it and watching her unfold. I hope you are too.

night night chaps. Until next time.

Happy Modelling.

John. :pilot:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 18

Cheers mate glad it worked out for you 👍🏿

Not my idea though, read about it somewhere ages ago - just not got around to using it till recently...

I found you can keep working the wash for a while and manipulate it as it is drying to avoid the dreaded 'tide marks' 

I believe this is down to the klear slowing down the drying time compared to a normal 'water only' acrylic wash that dries too quickly? Any scientists out there?  

Wouldn't fancy it to do the exterior of an airframe mind, but seems a quick and spot on way for doing cockipts or internals as above 👍🏿 

• Like 4

These kind of washes are very good for a subtile look as you can control the majority of pigment in it.

I use it in the same manner... came at the idea after a little bit of experimenting and nice to see it used by others.

Love your build though it is very inspiringB)

• Like 1

This is going to be pretty spectacular with all the additions. I havn't built a P38 for a long long time ( I rather foolishly sold my last one some time ago ) but seeing yours makes me want to go and buy a new one.

I also like the fastening, I use a set of beading tools ( like the MDC rivet maker ) for mine and hadn't thought of heating them, which should work well an hard plastic where they only leave a faint impression.

Looking forward to more.

John

• Like 2

Thanks guys for all the positive comments. We're off for a weekend break as of tomorrow so I thought I'd share what will be the last bit of plastic for the next few days. Change of plan, again. :frantic: It looks as if the wells can't be added without the UC added first.:huh: so everything got a black coat. Mm shiny.

65964A91-0E15-4BD9-B196-1FB1E7BF6F01_zpsckii0cxo

then a metal coat.

249713D3-CE8A-423E-AF0B-E70D856702BD_zps0em9fvc6

while that dried I painted inside the vents. (Tea bag looks ok)

DFA3DCF5-EF5F-4CA2-887B-1BB5A831C288_zpsvqoosfnz

Once the UC had dried I used the "wash" to ping em out. Here's the front leg. Sexy.

279A0277-4DD0-479F-A45A-4AB24AA7C63C_zpsmofieyci

and here are the constructed wells. All long last. :o

4BC1B49C-8BE4-427C-A25C-CD38CFDF8665_zpswmib17oi

and a blurry but nice one that shows of the lovely Vallejo metals.

429C07EC-9A10-43D3-9BD0-EE2D92932420_zps1etb9dbr

all ready for boom construction on my return. Have a wonderful weekend chaps. I'll see you on the other side. 

Untill next time .  HM.

Johnny. ^_^

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 17

17 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks guys for all the positive comments. We're off for a weekend break as of tomorrow so I thought I'd share what will be the last bit of plastic for the next few days. Change of plan, again. :frantic: It looks as if the wells can't be added without the UC added first.:huh: so everything got a black coat. Mm shiny.

65964A91-0E15-4BD9-B196-1FB1E7BF6F01_zps

then a metal coat.

249713D3-CE8A-423E-AF0B-E70D856702BD_zps

while that dried I painted inside the vents. (Tea bag looks ok)

DFA3DCF5-EF5F-4CA2-887B-1BB5A831C288_zps

Once the UC had dried I used the "wash" to ping em out. Here's the front leg. Sexy.

279A0277-4DD0-479F-A45A-4AB24AA7C63C_zps

and here are the constructed wells. All long last. :o

1FC988C8-946F-4F64-97F3-0CE1D1A03BF0_zps

4BC1B49C-8BE4-427C-A25C-CD38CFDF8665_zps

and a blurry but nice one that shows of the lovely Vallejo metals.

429C07EC-9A10-43D3-9BD0-EE2D92932420_zps

all ready for boom construction on my return. Have a wonderful weekend chaps. I'll see you on the other side. 

Untill next time .  HM.

Johnny. ^_^

They actually look beautiful johnny, really nice work and the wash finishes it perfectly! I would pop a pic of them in the RFI section and be happy with my work, but as it's you I should imagine the rest of the AC will look just as good!

Rob

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

The U/C bays look great John.

Those washes bring out the details nicely.

Have a nice weekend mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. ^_^

34 minutes ago, rob85 said:

They actually look beautiful johnny, really nice work and the wash finishes it perfectly! I would pop a pic of them in the RFI section and be happy with my work, but as it's you I should imagine the rest of the AC will look just as good!

Rob

Cheeres Rob, I'm really looking forward to pulling this al together now.  :lol:

johnny

Those tea bag grills look really good Johnny and the rest of the work is very smart.

I'm just a bit worried that you're finding the front leg 'sexy'? Perhaps you'll be a bit better after a weekend away...

• Like 1

Nice work on the UC and bays. The washes really have brought out that detail and the Vallejo metals really do look the part. Enjoy your break!

Jake

Edited by Jaffajake
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

This is going to be pretty spectacular with all the additions. I havn't built a P38 for a long long time ( I rather foolishly sold my last one some time ago ) but seeing yours makes me want to go and buy a new one.

I also like the fastening, I use a set of beading tools ( like the MDC rivet maker ) for mine and hadn't thought of heating them, which should work well an hard plastic where they only leave a faint impression.

Looking forward to more.

John

So come on, you will be the fourth, let's have fun...

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Hello Spad,

Gooood job, tea bags are finer than my mosquito screen, very good idea.

I used to drink deca and tea bag are now mase from paper;

Must find some of that stuff.

Very nice job on the Wheel wells :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2017 at 21:59, The Spadgent said:

@CedB had a bag from a wedding he was going to use as mesh,

Guys, that got me thinking, (slowly), was it this kinda thing?

IMG_20170421_163636

If so, I can source any amount of them for distribution to the modelling world, or wedding planners for that matter!

IMG_20170421_163753

• Like 6

Rob it was exactly that sort of thing, just silver rather than pink. The ones we were given were about 10cm square and smell of chocolate (I've eaten the eggs!)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Guys, that got me thinking, (slowly), was it this kinda thing?

IMG_20170421_163636

If so, I can source any amount of them for distribution to the modelling world, or wedding planners for that matter!

IMG_20170421_163753

Yup, that kind of thing. Mine was a posh tea bag but the mesh was the same. :lol:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

, that kind of thing. Mine was a posh tea bag but the mesh was the same. :lol:

Like a refillable teabag you put your exotic tealeaves in and dunk it? That IS posh! Well, it was before it was cut up to fulfill a higher calling and destiny 

So I can source them in many colours and sizes.

Might take a few along to next club meeting, see if anyone else uses them.

I gotta say they really look the business on your lighting 

• Like 2