"Oooh Matron" It's a P-38 Lightning with a saucy paint job in 1/48

Hi Johnny,

the last time I used such a saw was when I amputated a couple of limbs without anesthetic (of course). It turned out it was cheaper than driving two hours one way to go and buy some disinfectant and a few bandages. This is Africa my Son.

Now that I have shown my credentials, could you please tell me what saw you are using, as it seems to do a great job (OK, you too).

I have been hunting for that type of lethal weapon for a long time, and as I am going to the UK later in the year, I would really love to buy one of those!

Thanks!

JR 

• Like 6

Hello Jean,

Did'nt you tried the local lancet ??

I mean Machette, it work fine !! Then on the fire and then again back on the wound...

Here we go, case closed and disinfected... Well almost..

They will think that we are crazy:penguin:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Dear Whirling Dervish,

No, mine isn't on here. The build was nearly 2years ago now, and haven't been on BM very long.

As is my tendency, I went for the nmf décor, and did the airframe in sticky back metal foil. I discarded the daft artwork supplied .

You'll know this already, but prepare for a shed load of ballast up front - nose, nacelles, anywhere it'll fit. Resin heavy, is it?!?😃

IMG_20160201_233418

Ooh she's lovely. Nice work, thanks for reminding me about the weight in the nose, I'm going to buy some fishing shot.:lol:

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Great post Johnny :)

Good work with Dexter - scary stuff!

Thanks Ced.

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Good start getting all that resin dust out of the way. It will be interesting to see if it fits the kit properly.

As to the selfie, you're not my long lost cousin from Phobos by any chance are you?

My choice of nose art is primarily motivated by the Baron's woeful lack of effort to come up with a follow on for Maureen!

Martian the Louche.

It's possible, I did visit Phobos once. :who-let-rip:Glad to see I'm keeping that green blue a pumpin' .:guitar:

18 hours ago, Christer A said:

Nice and tidy cuts there!

It should be downhill from there :smile:

Thanks and fingers crossed.

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Great sawing there Bane.

"Muffle mumble muffle mmmbbbrre"

thats Bane speak for thanks Hombre. :winkgrin:

14 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Good work with the saw there John, although the pic with you with a mask on is a bit scary.

Could print it out and put it above the fire place to keep the kids away LOL.

Simon.

Thanks and errr thanks. :winkgrin:

13 hours ago, crustydude said:

Another vote for the bitch from me Johnny,the comfy chair is out,the popcorn maker is plugged in and ready to go,now salted or sweet?😃

Glad to be of service. I hope you enjoy the build.

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Lots of resin surgery going on here, Johnny MD! :D Great job :clap: 

Ciao

Why thank you sir.

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hi Spad,

Waf ! The mask and the saw make you looking as a kind of Hannibal Styrene Lecter !:rofl:

Usually, I use some sand paper on a piece of marble or thick glass, starting with very coarse one (60 or 80)

And finers ones, but the glass allow you to stay level.

With the saw, I broked lots of resin parts

Nice job on your parts, about the tips, I'm sure that I will receive some from you:D huh !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Ooh a WIP. Cool I'll have a looksie when I'm done here. You're a braver man than I, I don't think I could have sanded all that.

9 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

I was thinking he was going for the bane look. Next up- complete head hair removal.

Nah I loves me Barnet. :fool:

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

That's a lot of scary chopping! Well done on going for it...

mine me was a quick affair, a whirlwind romance if you will.... here is "itsy bitsy II" thread 

cheers 

Rob

Thanks and oh yes. I remember you making that. Turned out rather nice too. Bravo.

8 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Put the lot on and call it  ................ WAAF Block.

I can't do that. :analintruder:

5 hours ago, Miggers said:

Hmmmmm,much firm sawing action,I like it.

As to the selfie/speed hair-do malarky,I thought "He's been out on his motorbike without his helmet on"or some such similar

hair/wind action sport.

Nope just ma regular hair.

4 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nice hatchet work on the resin John, but hell sir, your selfie scares the bejesus out of me - sort of Jack Nicholson's The Shining meets Black Sabbath's Never Say Die meets Dennis Hopper's Blue Velvet character meets mad modeller high on resin dust! Gonna have to have a load o beers to get to sleep tonight.

I'll take that as a compliment and thanks.

3 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

Have you considered going in to work like that?

If nothing else it'd be an interesting way to hand your notice in :D

Might be a plan.:analintruder:

3 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

A dead ringer...

Wolverine-4.jpg

I always wanted to be a marvel super hero.:pilot: more like plastic man however.

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Johnny,

the last time I used such a saw was when I amputated a couple of limbs without anesthetic (of course). It turned out it was cheaper than driving two hours one way to go and buy some disinfectant and a few bandages. This is Africa my Son.

Now that I have shown my credentials, could you please tell me what saw you are using, as it seems to do a great job (OK, you too).

I have been hunting for that type of lethal weapon for a long time, and as I am going to the UK later in the year, I would really love to buy one of those!

Thanks!

JR 

Hey there.

it's an official Tamiya saw. Here's a

link. 

http://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/paints-hobby-and-scenery-by-manufacturer/tamiya/tamiya-tools/thin-blade-craft-saw?d=22&gclid=CJP-wsDh_NICFQoB0wod6tMK9w

it's great if a little big but its smooth action limits any breakages. Highly recommended.

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 6

Ok first wall.

the kit bit fits like this.

2DB9EF27-A74F-4486-B8E2-A8B36116B469_zps5b2xvagx

the tub fits under those two little lips. The canopy sits there so I don't want to remove them. The resin kit is too tall. And won't fit under the lips. It's not a little bit too tall either and it looks like I'm fitting it right looking at the instructions. Any ideas? I'll check tinterwebs.:pilot:

here's the size difference.

3CCCB2FB-E9AB-4ABB-BA01-B0FAA03D65C3_zpsian9rnhs

bonkerers.:huh:

johnny TOO BIG!

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 9

Ooooo-kayyy.....

Well if it was me, I'd ditch the resin and go with the parts that are designed to go in.

Can you cannibalise the resin kit and use the nice bits on to the kit tub? You don't want to wreck the airframe for something that will be buried inside.

But I wanna see what you make of it, Saw-meister!

• Like 1

Bet you can't wait for a nice easy simple build Mr Spadgent. :huh:

This is starting to have shades of the prowler, is dexter starting to get excited at the prospect of getting stuck in once more? 

Whichever way you go mate I'm sure you will do a cracking job! Watching with interest and admiration. 

• Like 1

From the above shot the detailing on the kit tub looks very reasonable when directly compared to that of the resin; could you just excise any resin bits you think worth saving and add these to the kit tub?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

How about remove the top of the undercarriage bay(?), so the underneath of the tub becomes the top of the bay?

Good idea but I'll loose detail in the well and the wheel might not fit.

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Ooooo-kayyy.....

Well if it was me, I'd ditch the resin and go with the parts that are designed to go in.

Can you cannibalise the resin kit and use the nice bits on to the kit tub? You don't want to wreck the airframe for something that will be buried inside.

But I wanna see what you make of it, Saw-meister!

It will fit. I knows it. :christmas: I'm not going to slice the frame. Maybe a little. :police:

1 hour ago, Antb said:

Bet you can't wait for a nice easy simple build Mr Spadgent. :huh:

This is starting to have shades of the prowler, is dexter starting to get excited at the prospect of getting stuck in once more? 

Whichever way you go mate I'm sure you will do a cracking job! Watching with interest and admiration. 

Thankyou sir. Where's the fun in an easy build? :ninja: not to worry, there is a guy on another site. ( let's not talk about other sites eh. ) anyway he had exactly the same problem. basically you shave a tad from the airframe and the tub slides into the top section of the frame between the front pegs. I'm not trying it tonight as I have had wine but watch out tomorrow morning here I come. :boxing:

johnny

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

From the above shot the detailing on the kit tub looks very reasonable when directly compared to that of the resin; could you just excise any resin bits you think worth saving and add these to the kit tub?

The resin is a lot better you just can't see it in this pic. I'll show some more tomorrow. I've found out how to fit the tub. It's all good. :thumbsup: thanks for the help though.

unfortunatly by looking at other threads on how to fit the pit I've seen how lovely all the extra after market parts are. Luckily it's my birthday soon. :fool:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Good idea but I'll loose detail in the well and the wheel might not fit.

It will fit. I knows it. :christmas: I'm not going to slice the frame. Maybe a little. :police:

Thankyou sir. Where's the fun in an easy build? :ninja: not to worry, there is a guy on another site. ( let's not talk about other sites eh. ) anyway he had exactly the same problem. basically you shave a tad from the airframe and the tub slides into the top section of the frame between the front pegs. I'm not trying it tonight as I have had wine but watch out tomorrow morning here I come. :boxing:

johnny

You do like a challenge :-) 

Looking forward to seeing the outcome mate, I shall stay tuned 

• Like 1

Hi Johnny

If you have not seen this

P-38%20Lockheed%20Lightning%20Camo%20&%2

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/18-Lockheed-P-38

you may find some useful bits,  note on page 9 the positioning of the markings.

a further look at box art den reveals these, which I'd not noticed were up before :banghead:

.album.jpg?m=1436696474

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Detail-Scale/57-Lockheed-P-38-Lightning-Part-1

58%20P-38%20Lightning%20(2)_Page_01-960.

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Detail-Scale/58-Lockheed-P-38-Lightning-Part-2

which may well be of use for detail.... 

HTH

T

• Like 2

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:51 PM, The Spadgent said:

F25909B5-6BA7-4DA6-B41C-979D39181C51_zps

Was told that ever since Edward Norton was shown this piccie, he's been goin' like: "It ain't me; it couldn't have been me...!" :rofl:

Yeh, me was.

Hey, Johnnie, my mate! How's it goin', bru?

Quite an awesome work ya're doin' on this kit, me likes.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Johnny

If you have not seen this

P-38%20Lockheed%20Lightning%20Camo%20&%2

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/18-Lockheed-P-38

you may find some useful bits,  note on page 9 the positioning of the markings.

a further look at box art den reveals these, which I'd not noticed were up before :banghead:

.album.jpg?m=1436696474

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Detail-Scale/57-Lockheed-P-38-Lightning-Part-1

58%20P-38%20Lightning%20(2)_Page_01-960.

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Detail-Scale/58-Lockheed-P-38-Lightning-Part-2

which may well be of use for detail.... 

HTH

T

Ooh very nice, thanks.:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Was told that ever since Edward Norton was shown this piccie, he's been goin' like: "It ain't me; it couldn't have been me...!" :rofl:

Yeh, me was.

Hey, Johnnie, my mate! How's it goin', bru?

Quite an awesome work ya're doin' on this kit, me likes.

Cheers,

Unc2

I'm all good unc. Notice my beer has gone? :ninja: and thanks.

18 hours ago, Antb said:

You do like a challenge :-) 

Looking forward to seeing the outcome mate, I shall stay tuned 

I do, I do.   Ooh the outcome is long and winding. :boxing:

18 hours ago, giemme said:

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :beer: 

Ciao

Glad you're having fun..... and popcorn......aaaand beer. :fool:

• Like 1

Oh my word what a morning! I had to take the kids out to the Cinema and lunch as a special treat this morning but bafore and after that I had a wrestle with plastic!

As promised to Mr Baron here is the lovely detail on one of the tub walls and the reason I want to use the resin over the kit part.

E640135E-AB69-4D61-9235-675BA84FB907_zps6e3fikfv

All I have to do now is make it fit. :ike:

first off here's how it fits off the bat.

3CDC4332-6F7C-47ED-B9E6-ED00270F8697_zpspyyhxwtt

Hmmmmm a bit of filler.:yikes: ok see those little lips? They have to be gently taken back as to let the resin up and through the top of the airframe.

this bit here.

0D6DA127-07CB-4743-BF26-4AA763E8438E_zpsaox0osrr

D0FA3ADC-9B02-4198-B652-48274A21A4A1_zpssfaw1o9e

I'm going a bit OTT on the Description to hopefully help others in the future as this was a right old puzzle to solve.

once sanded back the resin could pop through.

BA890397-25E8-494F-B44B-E2DA3ECFD67C_zpszoeoewop

nice! Then the lower half.

72B59ED6-BFD5-48F7-A5A7-04EDF5C309F4_zpsu0uercwa

not quite so nice but getting there.:guitar:

I found fitting the tub to the top rather than the bottom gave a good guide as to where it is supposed to be. Alas there are no guide markers on the resin part or any in the instructions for that matter. The little ridges on the tub however fit into these pin holes on the kit part. Awesome.

BADCD319-F288-4F76-9F9F-9E7FCDA5AD5C_zpsjrbijyzo

tape that in place and we're off.

899CF3AB-CAAF-406B-882A-05BC558A29E1_zpszg6kiztz

A bit of sanding here and there. Off the bottom of the tub and the inner wheel well and we're here.

2E46CE89-53B9-4F64-A1E1-A65B42E25607_zpse6adjass

a lot better! :thumbsup:

right I have to leave it there for a bit as I'm working on BOB the caravan and need to get him finished before dinner.

there is more to come. I'll pop in later on.

thanks for all your input and help.

Johnny push fit.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 8

Quicker than expected. :thumbsup: Bob seems to be charging ok. We shall see. Any hoo enough of my 1:1 scale caravan madnes and back to the 1:48 madness.:viking:

right then, learning from my Prowler build last year I'm going to dry fit as much as possible to save problems later on. Here is the resin cowl fitted (dry)

7EB377FC-30C7-4B0F-9397-7C6F40E7C4D6_zps9uwof5j1

not bad but it's designed to be a like for like of the kit part and even comes with locating pins. These pins pull the side walls of the airframe in causing multiple steps and gaps. Possibly due toshrinkage?  So before drastic measures I scraped away at the tub to try and get a good fit.

FE33D2E7-6198-4FA9-982E-9FFCBD9ACD3C_zpsil5ple8z

Alas nothing doing as the problem is with the resin part :weep: so here is a dry fit of the kit part.

F6B0D108-BB01-46DD-A55C-B5B7089D32BE_zps15qhafop

:doh: it's a better fit in width but I think the cowl has to go. The other guy I saw who did this came to the same conclusion as I read later. Apparently the cover was removeable so I'm removing it and will build the sight mount from scratch.

D7315D95-C0E3-4CC0-AA74-AB8EBCF78ADC_zpshcnvwser

snip, snippity snip.

1B4D555D-E60B-4FD8-A996-7332E5C19F43_zpsdypnqehu

and slice! 

23555B30-7BC2-4C40-ADCC-842C75F6BF4B_zps1gsp7zrj

much much better an hardly any steps.:penguin:looks like the canopy fits as well.

53F78788-F106-4789-AC28-E2942937495C_zpsjhjw9dng

I'll need to do some tidy up but I think I'm winning the cockpit battle.

gotta make a lasagne for dinner but hopefully I can earn some brownie points for more plastic later.

thanks for popping in and I hope you're all having a spiffing weekend.

stay frosty.

Johnny sauce.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 11

Great progress, Johnny AfterMarket :D:clap:

Fitting the Aires cockpit is definitely worth it for the details, and from your effort looks feasible, too  - albeit with a bit of work:coolio:

Ciao

• Like 1

I csn see from those later photos why you wanted to keep that resin tub intact, that looks very rich in detail. Nicely settled into it's new home! :thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 1